Out of the mold, into the light

Hello beautiful people!

Got a quick, almost rhetorical question that fits in the "asking the question is pretty much answering the question" but I'd be curious to gather some healthy opinions nonetheless.

So after decades of enjoying this very fine game, I'm ready to dip my toes in the VEAT pool. (Well, I tried a Wodow last year but haven't really played her). I rolled a PB last week and played it casually since. I'm also introducing my daughter to CoH and next to the few hours we spent playing Valheim together, it's her first real game.  Only the best for her.

So we're taking it slowly, I'm having all the time in the world to appreciate the AT and learn it.  My first observation is that Multi-form is going to be the most fun experience. It's a dynamic playstyle that I know I will enjoy and besides, if I wanted to only play a bipedal blaster with toggles, I'd roll another sentinel.

So, having read a lot of guides and docs about PBs here, I feel I understand the class a bit better. The thing about guides though, is that they become deprecated with patches and changes. Now, most PB guides make mention of the hassle of Toggles because switching forms removes them.  Well, that doesn't seem to be true anymore, when I switch from human to Nova and back to human again, my light shield is still going. 

I am however going to assume that while I was in Nova form, the shileld wasn't doing anything: a theory I will test tonight.

My main question: if I go all out and squeeze most of my effort/slots into native PB powers, once in my life ignoring the Leadership pool and Fighting pool and possibly even the quentessential CJ/Hover, am I shopping for disappointment?  I don't intend to solo +4 x8 with my PB, if I want to do that, I have an arm-long Tanker list waiting for me. 

I would really like to have a tri-form PB but most of the powers are so cool. I really want to test that out.

An inf for your thoughts.

My guide on her is as up to date as it possibly can be hun ❤️ (The Almost Complete Guide to Kheldians)

I wouldn't worry about the toggles in the power pools unless you are chucking a LOTG proc in there for global recharge 🙂 But active powers like Fold Space, Vengence, Hasten are all great ones that you can go back into human to activate off cooldown!

But I hope you enjoy your Peacebringer journey and if you have any questions let us know and we will be happy to help when and how we can! ❤️ 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

My guide on her is as up to date as it possibly can be hun ❤️ (The Almost Complete Guide to Kheldians)

I wouldn't worry about the toggles in the power pools unless you are chucking a LOTG proc in there for global recharge 🙂 But active powers like Fold Space, Vengence, Hasten are all great ones that you can go back into human to activate off cooldown!

But I hope you enjoy your Peacebringer journey and if you have any questions let us know and we will be happy to help when and how we can! ❤️ 

Lovely, thank you!

Hasten was the only exception, because Hasten! 🙂

As for LOTG mules, I'll see.  My objective is to make a character with all the powers I "want" before I start worrying about the LOTG mules.  But if I have room left at the end of the build, why not!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aeroprism said:

Lovely, thank you!

Hasten was the only exception, because Hasten! 🙂

As for LOTG mules, I'll see.  My objective is to make a character with all the powers I "want" before I start worrying about the LOTG mules.  But if I have room left at the end of the build, why not!

You are correct in that your shields stay "on" but their effects are suppressed when not in Human form.

Your instinct to save mules for the end of your leveling career is also a very common way to go (certainly what I did.). 

I'm with Laucianna's suggestion in selecting mules that have some sporadic utility.  I slapped a +Stealth into my Sprint to pair with my Infiltration mule.  Whenever a team lead says, "We're stealthing this mission." I'm able to run ahead with my Stalker companions to click through stuff.  Clever power picks can open up even more versatility on this  already broadly successful AT.

If you spend enough time in Human form, Weave can add a good chunk of durability as DEF layers nicely on top of your RES.  But no, you do not "need" it.  Not even Hasten is "needed".  My Lightform is permanent without it.

Welcome to the fold!  I have plenty of alts that I would love to move ahead with, but Peacebringers are so fun that I just can't stop playing mine. 

Edited by The Trouble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Trouble said:

You are correct in that your shields stay "on" but their effects are suppressed when not in Human form.

Your instinct to save mules for the end of your leveling career is also a very common way to go (certainly what I did.). 

I'm with Laucianna's suggestion in selecting mules that have some sporadic utility.  I slapped a +Stealth into my Sprint to pair with my Infiltration mule.  Whenever a team lead says, "We're stealthing this mission." I'm able to run ahead with my Stalker companions to click through stuff.  Clever power picks can open up even more versatility on this  already broadly successful AT.

If you spend enough time in Human form, Weave can add a good chunk of durability as DEF layers nicely on top of your RES.  But no, you do not "need" it.  Not even Hasten is "needed".  My Lightform is permanent without it.

Welcome to the fold!  I have plenty of alts that I would love to move ahead with, but Peacebringers are so fun that I just can't stop playing mine. 

Not going to lie, I really, really love what I'm seeing so far.  I just read @Laucianna's guide. Comprehensive, well made, pleasant, sexy!

I'm not going to let myself be worried by difficulty ratings, I don't intend to excel and impress. Heck, I can't even impress with the ATs I play well, I'm not really a talented player.  I just want to have fun and play.  So it's going to be tri-form all the way until I'm comfortable enough to try that Infinity Changeling/Shifter thing.

And THEN, it will be time to try a Warshade because why not.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

Not going to lie, I really, really love what I'm seeing so far.  I just read @Laucianna's guide. Comprehensive, well made, pleasant, sexy!

I'm not going to let myself be worried by difficulty ratings, I don't intend to excel and impress. Heck, I can't even impress with the ATs I play well, I'm not really a talented player.  I just want to have fun and play.  So it's going to be tri-form all the way until I'm comfortable enough to try that Infinity Changeling/Shifter thing.

And THEN, it will be time to try a Warshade because why not.

Never had my guide be the one called sexy but I'll take it! ❤️ And honestly hun, no rush! The game isn't going anywhere so take your time to enjoy the journey of an alien squid/lobster superhero!