BEAM RIFLE OR ASSAULT RIFLE

TECHWON

Posted (edited)

Thinking making a blaster with martial combat but dunno what primary to take at the moment. can someone help. this is the build i might go with (provided by a friend)

BEAM RIFLE.JPG

ASSAULT RIFLE.JPG

ar-mc build.JPG

Edited by TECHWON

Personally, Beam. While early-on it's more of a single target set, overcharge is a brilliant, quick-charging ranged nuke, Piercing Beam is effectively a decent single target with -res that just happens to hit a 2nd or 3rd enemy when fired into packs, and at higher difficulties/parties, disintegrate will spread as you shoot into the fray, causing DoTs and bonus effects as time goes.

A bit of -regen is always nice, and the whole set just plays well.

20 hours ago, Novacat said:

Personally, Beam. While early-on it's more of a single target set, overcharge is a brilliant, quick-charging ranged nuke, Piercing Beam is effectively a decent single target with -res that just happens to hit a 2nd or 3rd enemy when fired into packs, and at higher difficulties/parties, disintegrate will spread as you shoot into the fray, causing DoTs and bonus effects as time goes.

A bit of -regen is always nice, and the whole set just plays well.

that makes sense

I have a Beam Rifle/Martial Combat Blaster, I actually picked /Martial because I wanted a less slightly obvious secondary, if that makes sense... my feeling was to "show off" with the Beam Rifle. If you want to lean into the Martial Combat, your build won't look like mine

Primary Choices;

Single Shot (6x Defiant Barrage)

Cutting Beam (3x Blaster's Wrath, %-Res, 2x %damage)

Disintegrate (5x Apocalypse)

Aim (6x Gaussian's)

Lancer Shot (6x Winter's Bite)

Penetrating Ray (5x Sting of the Manticore)

Piercing Beam (6x Frozen Blast)

Overcharge (3x Blaster's Wrath, 3x %damage)

Secondary Choices:

Ki Push (5x Hecatomb)

Reach for the Limit

Burst of Speed (5x Armageddon, 1x %damage)

Reaction Time (Health,  EndMod)

Inner Will (6x Preventive Medicine)

All taken by level 26.

The remaining Powers had very few slots, they came from

Sorcery (Mystic Flight, Spirit Ward, RoP)

Leadership (Maneuvers)

Epic Force Mastery (PFF, Temp Invuln, Force of Nature) <- mostly convenient mules

Concealment (LotG mules)

I have an Assault Rifle Blaster... when leveling up I tried to incorporate the melee attacks (different secondary than Martial) but they just did not synergize with the AR attacks. YMMV.

Beam hands down, unless it's a concept build.  

Overall Beam performance once you get the nuke is better.  

I personally dislike for entirely subjective reasons both Flame Throw and Ignite.  If you DO go AR, do NOT skip Ignite, it's one of your better powers.  You probably shouldn't skip flame thrower either, but I've yet to be able to enjoy it.

I would say do NOT skip Grenade, just slot it with a SA KB/KD(cheap), or OF KB/KD (twice as good but much more expensive)

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.