New to the game, what talents for Dark/Dark tanker?

evox288

hey guys, i just got this game a few days ago and have made a dozen or so characters, all level 5 or so. but i decided i really like my dark/dark tanker.

i think i understand what primary abilities to pick up, but i have no idea which secondary attacks are worth considering.

im pretty happy with just shadow punch and shadow maul at the moment, but which other ones should i pick up along the way?

also does it matter if i get fly or super jump?

Welcome!  Dark/Dark has the potential to be a real powerhouse but does require some work to get there.  You said you felt pretty comfortable with the primary so I won't spend a lot of time on that except to say that you definitely want everything aside from Cloak of Fear, Oppressive Gloom and Soul Transfer.    I would strongly recommend you get at least two of those, but those are the only three that are in any way skippable.  Most people recommend either Cloak of Fear or Oppressive Gloom as the mez effects help to maintain aggro on mobs when you're tanking for your team.    Personally I favor Oppressive Gloom but Cloak of Fear is good too.  You probably don't need both. 

In terms of Dark Melee, your most important powers will be Shadow Punch (which you get automatically), Taunt, Soul Drain and Dark Consumption.    Shadow Maul and Touch of Fear are also very good.    You want to have enough of an attack chain to keep it rolling during combat, since damage application is another way in which you maintain aggro.    All tanker tier 1 attacks have -resistance, so you'll want to keep Shadow Punch in the rotation somewhere.    Soul Drain is a scaling damage and tohit buff that will really help out your personal damage output - the more enemies you hit, the better the buff you receive.  This also, again, helps you maintain aggro.  The rest of the power selection in Dark Melee is mainly down to personal taste.

Like most powersets, Dark Armor has its pros and cons.    Many of Dark Armor's shortcomings can be entirely eliminated with good use of Inventions, however, resulting in a very powerful Tanker. 

First and foremost, you'll need knockback protection.  This isn't offered natively in Dark Armor and it's critical.  The easiest way to get it is with -KB IOs which provide a global 4 points of protection each, with goal being 12 points.  Karma, Steadfast Protection and Blessing of the Zephyr sets all offer IOs of this type.  You can slot a Steadfast into one of your armor toggles, a Karma into Shadow Cloak, and Blessing of the Zephyr into your travel power.    You can also accomplish knockback protection using the Acrobatics power from the Leaping pool or by using certain Set Bonuses, but this requires more of an investment than is really necessary since the above method covers you just as well.

Once you've closed that particular chink in your armor, the next order of business is managing endurance.  Dark Armor is notorious for its heavy endurance usage, but this too you can build around.  You want to get a Theft of Essence: Change for +End IO and slot it into Dark Regeneration.  This will greatly improve the endurance usage of the power - sometimes you'l even see a net gain in endurance when you use it!    You'll also want the usual endurance reduction slotting in your toggles and in your attacks.    Dark Consumption, in Dark Melee, will also refill your endurance bar nicely and works similarly to Dark Regeneration or Soul Drain, except for Endurance.  Finally, you'll want to use the unique +Recovery IOs to bolster the speed at which you recover endurance - these are Miracle and Numina's Convalescence.    A Panacea: +HP/Endurance and a Performance Shifter: +End will also help, providing random boosts of endurance from time to time.    All four of these should be slotted in your passive fitness powers (Health for the first three, Stamina for Peformance Shifter).  You'll also want 2-3 Endurance Modfiication slots in Stamina in addition to the Performance Shifter slot.

With knockback and endurance covered, the final issue is Defense.  As a Dark Armor tanker you have two of the three main forms of damage mitigation in spades - you have Resistance (including psychic resistance!) and you have very strong self-healing, but you have relatively little Defense.    Resistance works by reducing the amount of damage taken on a hit, while Defense reduces the chance of being hit.    Layering all three of these makes for a very tough character.

So how do we get more Defense?  Invention Set Bonuses.  This will take a substantial investment, but it isn't too difficult to get to softcap (45%) defense on Smashing, Lethal, Energy and Negative Energy defense types using Set Bonuses.    The good news is that the -tohit debuffs that are built into all of your Dark Melee attacks will further improve your effective defense (i.e. enemies who have debuffed tohit will hit you less, the same effect as increased personal Defense.  This stacks).  You will want to pick up Tough and Weave from the Fighting pool as well to get additional Defense.

In terms of travel, it doesn't matter too much.  Fly is probably the most user-friendly but Super Jump is also perfectly good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

wow, thats a lot to take in for someone with nearly 5 hours of play time, haha.

thanks for the thorough response.

as for the dark armor powers, i was planning on skipping Cloak of Darkness, and Oppressive Gloom. im not really sure what stealth does for me as a tank, so could you enlighten me?

and im still on the fence about super jump vs flying, just seems so fun to launch around like the hulk, but not sure how useful it will be, haha, lots of difficult decisions ahead of me

• Thanks 1

The stealth can be useful when you want to ninja objectives in Task Forces and such, but that's not the main reason you're taking Cloak of Darkness.  It's the source of your Immobilize protection.  Without Cloak, you can be held in place.    Cloak of Darkness also gives a modest amount of Defense, which will be important later if you decide to follow my advice regarding stacking Defense from Invention Set bonuses.

If you're really set against taking Cloak of Darkness you can get similar value from Combat Jumping, in the Leaping pool.  However, Cloak provides twice as much Defense.    Also, you can (and, if building for Defense, probably should) take both CJ and Cloak.

You won't go wrong with either Fly or Super Jump.  Super Jump is faster, but you may sometimes end up landing in the midst of enemies you didn't plan on - however, as a Tanker, this isn't as bad as it might be for another character.    Fly gives you more control but is slower unless you also invest a second power pick for Afterburner.  However, it's not that much slower and a lot of teams will just teleport anyone lagging behind right to the door anyway.  So no choice here is going to really matter too much.    If you plan to PvP much (though Dark isn't the ideal choice for that), Super Jump is the clear winner.

Also, you get free respecs now every ten levels so you can always change things up if you want to.

• Thanks 1

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

The stealth can be useful when you want to ninja objectives in Task Forces and such, but that's not the main reason you're taking Cloak of Darkness.  It's the source of your Immobilize protection.  Without Cloak, you can be held in place.    Cloak of Darkness also gives a modest amount of Defense, which will be important later if you decide to follow my advice regarding stacking Defense from Invention Set bonuses.

To reinforce/rephrase, cloak of darkness is what ultimately sets Dark Armor on a league of its own; it's significantly more defense than Combat Jumping, acting as a second Weave.  Your stealth status won't matter in combat very much as long as you're running Death Shroud and taunting, and CoD and Cloak of Fear let DA/ function as a layered set.  However, you can *delay* it and take Combat Jumping early instead, in order to help manage the high Endurance costs DA/ is famous for.

And to reinforce another point Justaris made that might've gotten lost in the shuffle -- Dark Armor needs the pool power Tough (from Fighting) as early as possible, since it directly affects DA/'s primary, resist-based mitigation.

Here's my recommended 1-35 levelling build for this combo.  You won't be able to run CoD, CoF, or Weave very much until you have Dark Consumption, and even then not really until you have it slotted.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 35 Magic Tanker

Primary Power Set: Dark Armor

Secondary Power Set: Dark Melee

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Dark Embrace -- EndRdx(A), ResDam(3), ResDam(3), ResDam(5)

Level 1: Shadow Punch -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(5), Acc(7), Acc(7), Dmg(9), Dmg(9)

Level 2: Murky Cloud -- EndRdx(A), ResDam(11), ResDam(11)

Level 4: Smite -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(13), Acc(13), Acc(15), Dmg(15), Dmg(17)

Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- EndRdx(A), ResDam(17)

Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(19), Acc(19), Heal(21), RechRdx(23), RechRdx(34)

Level 10: Shadow Maul -- EndRdx(A), Acc(23), Acc(25), Dmg(25)

Level 12: Combat Jumping -- EndRdx(A)

Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 16: Siphon Life -- EndRdx(A), Acc(27), Acc(29), Dmg(29), Dmg(31), Heal(31)

Level 18: Tough -- EndRdx(A), ResDam(31), ResDam(33), ResDam(33)

Level 20: Super Jump -- Empty(A)

Level 22: Acrobatics -- EndRdx(A)

Level 24: Taunt -- Empty(A)

Level 26: Death Shroud -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(33), Acc(34)

Level 28: Cloak of Darkness -- EndRdx(A)

Level 30: Weave -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(34)

Level 32: Cloak of Fear -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(36)

Level 35: Dark Consumption -- RechRdx(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod(A), EndMod(21), EndMod(27)

------------

• Thanks 1

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Here's an endgame build I made for someone today, m/r softcapped with Barrier (+5% at its lowest):

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5)

Level 1: Shadow Punch -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(15), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(46)

Level 2: Murky Cloud -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(5), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(9), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(27)

Level 4: Death Shroud -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(15), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19)

Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- HO:Ribo(A)

Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(19), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(25), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(27)

Level 10: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)

Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13)

Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(33), GldArm-End/Res(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(43)

Level 16: Cross Punch -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(23), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)

Level 18: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)

Level 20: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)

Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)

Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)

Level 26: Siphon Life -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(37), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(37)

Level 28: Soul Drain -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit(31)

Level 30: Taunt -- Range-I(A)

Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(40), Rct-ResDam%(43)

Level 35: Dark Consumption -- Acc-I(A)

Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(40)

Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(43)

Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(46)

Level 47: Summon Widow -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(50), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(50)

Level 49: Darkest Night -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(50)

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A), PrfShf-EndMod(7), PrfShf-End%(34)

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Task Force Commander

------------

• Thanks 1

wow, i wasnt expecting such detailed reports from everyone, this is a lot to digest but this really helps me a lot, so thank you to all of you. I got my tanker to 16 today so its gonna be a long road from here, next step is figuring out how my broke ass is going to get enhancements and how many slots to give each ability.

• 1 month later

I had been looking for a Dark/Dark tanker build and came across this one, which I like a lot, but I've made a couple minor changes.  Swapped to Fly for concept reasons, dropped Summon Widow for Afterburner, but the extra slots in Hover let me put more +Defense enhancements in it, so don't lose that much defense from the set bonus that was in Summon Widow, plus, Afterburner gives me a place to put a 5th Luck of the Gambler recharge.

But perhaps most notably, I dropped Siphon Life for Smite.  With the amount of +Recharge this build is running, Dark Regeneration was MORE than enough to keep me alive against everything I tested against, and the single-target damage/heal from Siphon Life was kind of irrelevant.  Smite fits more smoothly into my attack chain with an animation time a full second lower than Siphon Life (but more damage per animation second), and I also took it at level 2, so I had a stronger early attack chain.

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(15), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(46)
Level 2: Smite -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(15)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam(5), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(9), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(27)
Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- HO:Ribo(A)
Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(19), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(25), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(27)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(33), GldArm-End/Res(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(43)
Level 16: Cross Punch -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(23), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)
Level 18: Death Shroud -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(40), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19)
Level 20: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit(31)
Level 30: Taunt -- Range-I(A)
Level 32: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(40), Rct-ResDam%(43)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- Acc-I(A)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Flight-I(48)
Level 49: Darkest Night -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(50)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Mrc-Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A), PrfShf-EndMod(7), PrfShf-End%(34)
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1520;720;1440;HEX;|
|78DA65934B4F135114C7EF74A6E0B4050A2D2D4F8102B6B4B47404243E898A18952|