Recommend a Sonic/*

Xandyr

Hey all. I'm really wanting to roll a Sonic Defender (because everyone focuses on building for Defense and not Resistance, plus the -Resistance it gives). I'm torn between what secondary to go with.

Really thought about DP, Archery, or maybe Dark. And I have this thing where I never pair the same "type" for primary/Secondary (i.e. rad/rad, ele/ele,sonic/sonic).

I haven't played Seismic, so I kinda thought maybe rolling that.

Anyway, TL;DR....

What secondary has some synergy with Sonic,works well,teams would appreciate?

Thanks

Sonic/Pistols running Chemical Rounds would probably give the best synergy.  Chemical rounds add a -DMG to all your attacks which would help further reduce damage your allies take through your sonic barriers.  It would also lower Psi damage as well which Sonic doesn't protect against.

Sonic/Ice and Sonic/Psi may also be good as those two sets provide -Recharge.  You won't directly reduce damage but less frequent attacks means less damage overall to be reduced.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Posted (edited)

I mained a Sonic Defender extensively on Live for years.
A lot of teams back then didn't appreciate just how much it made life easier until they teamed with it.

• The +resist buffs are handy, no question - between the Bubbles and Sonic Dispersion, a Resilient Core Alpha slot and Barrier these days you can buff everyone's resistances by ~70% constantly to everything except Psionic.
  • Disruption Field and Sonic Siphon are obviously both brilliant.
  • Clarity is often overlooked - but keeping it up on everyone constantly becomes second nature and you can easily stack enough on a single target to keep a Tank going through Ghost Widow's hold.
  • Liquefy's debuffs are HUGE; and with enough recharge you can get its downtime to the < 10 second mark.
  • Sonic Cage I actually used a fair bit in multiple-AV situations, as Acc/Mez HOs increased the Mag of the untouchable effect and allowed it to properly affect them (Mids claims this is still the case; but I've not personally tested it for years)... although I did need to co-ordinate with teammates a fair bit and making the effect more obvious via the tailor helped immensely.

I had an /Elec secondary and I used it for sapping, but endurance drains are nowhere near as powerful as they used to be. So these days I'd lean towards Dark or Water (for the uninterruptable self-heal; plus either lots of -ToHit or Whirlpool+Geyser) or Beam Rifle (Piercing Beam and Overcharge are brilliant; and Disintegrate provides -Regen).

RE Epic... Psi Mastery is the obvious choice (Psi Resistance and World of Confusion) or Ice (+Def Armor plus Hoarfrost, Build Up + a decent pet)

All that said: have you considered Thermal instead?
It'd be remiss of me not to point out that Sonic is in a bit of a difficult spot right now; and in the vast majority of content a Thermal's toolset will soundly beat a Sonic's.

Edited by Maelwys

7 hours ago, Maelwys said:

I mained a Sonic Defender extensively on Live for years.
A lot of teams back then didn't appreciate just how much it made life easier until they teamed with it.

• The +resist buffs are handy, no question - between the Bubbles and Sonic Dispersion, a Resilient Core Alpha slot and Barrier these days you can buff everyone's resistances by ~70% constantly to everything except Psionic.
  • Disruption Field and Sonic Siphon are obviously both brilliant.
  • Clarity is often overlooked - but keeping it up on everyone constantly becomes second nature and you can easily stack enough on a single target to keep a Tank going through Ghost Widow's hold.
  • Liquefy's debuffs are HUGE; and with enough recharge you can get its downtime to the < 10 second mark.
  • Sonic Cage I actually used a fair bit in multiple-AV situations, as Acc/Mez HOs increased the Mag of the untouchable effect and allowed it to properly affect them (Mids claims this is still the case; but I've not personally tested it for years)... although I did need to co-ordinate with teammates a fair bit and making the effect more obvious via the tailor helped immensely.

I had an /Elec secondary and I used it for sapping, but endurance drains are nowhere near as powerful as they used to be. So these days I'd lean towards Dark or Water (for the uninterruptable self-heal; plus either lots of -ToHit or Whirlpool+Geyser) or Beam Rifle (Piercing Beam and Overcharge are brilliant; and Disintegrate provides -Regen).

RE Epic... Psi Mastery is the obvious choice (Psi Resistance and World of Confusion) or Ice (+Def Armor plus Hoarfrost, Build Up + a decent pet)

All that said: have you considered Thermal instead?
It's be remiss of me to point out that Sonic is in a bit of a difficult spot right now; and in the vast majority of content a Thermal's toolset will soundly beat a Sonic's.

Dangit. Why did you have to give me a reason to make another Defender?! Curses! Maybe my next will be Thermal/DP...

I ended up going Sonic/Storm. Looks like Storm has some -recharge, -speed, -to hit, and -end. Thinking it should be pretty decent.

• Haha 1