The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Dark/Sheild - Scrapper or Tank?

Title. (Also posted in Tanker forum)

Main thinking is that

• Dark Melee better on Tanker due to increased AoE and Gloom in ST chain?
  • Sheild better on Scrapper due to Sheild Charge pseudo pet interaction?

Im leaning towards Tanker - or is the scrapper damage THAT much better? (plus /Shield has a scrapper taunt aura so why even bother with tank?)

While the increased AoE and target caps for tanks are a pretty big deal, Gloom is pretty much a wash since scrappers can take Moonbeam. Scrapper base damage is 18% higher (1.125 vs. 0.95) but criticals increase that margin (especially with the ATOs). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thoughts on dark melee/shield:

• shield charge is deceptively mediocre on scrapper and very good on tanker
  • the taunt auras (plural) on tanker is MUCH better than scrapper. 
    • stuff will run away from scrapper, just less than a scrapper with no taunt aura.
  • shadow maul and touch of fear actually feel like real aoe on tanker
  • your ST damage sucks cause you are playing dark melee period
    • scrapper dark melee doesnt 'fix' this
    • your thinking is inverted here... tanker damage is not that much worse.
  • dark melee doesnt particularly 'shine' on scrapper
    • the crit proc ATO doesnt have a great home
    • i personally find build-up is better for scrapper playstyle
      • dark melee lacks the PUNCH that scrapper wants.

generic thoughts not pertaining to dark melee or shield defense:

• at the end of the day, scrappers will certainly do more single target damage than tankers, but this game is rarely about putting down single targets. 
  • tanker will clear missions faster if you herd stuff properly. 
  • tanker will feel more durable along the way. 
  • tanker will feel more self sufficient earlier in the leveling process.
  • tanker is very consistent. 
  • tanker is better for teams to passively keep stuff grouped and not hitting squishier party members
  • generic damage procs on scrapper do the same damage as generic damage procs on tanker. 
  • scrapper can get streaky crit luck and feel amazing and then see no crits and feel awful. 

4 hours ago, Sancerre said:

Thoughts on dark melee/shield:

• the taunt auras (plural) on tanker is MUCH better than scrapper. 
    • stuff will run away from scrapper, just less than a scrapper with no taunt aura.

I don't know what you think the plural auras are, but Shield/DM on tanks offers only one taunt aura (not that there's really any point in multiple taunt auras on a tanker, it'll just overkill taunt stuff).

Shield does offer taunt on a Scrapper, unlike a lot of scrapper armors.  Certainly the scrapper has less taunt than a tanker, but I'd generally consider the taunt aura on shield to be somewhat an advantage to the Scrapper -- all tankers get taunt auras, not all scrappers do.  If you're looking for a differential on "what AT is shield better on," it's notable that it's one of the scrapper taunt aura sets.

23 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I don't know what you think the plural auras are, but Shield/DM on tanks offers only one taunt aura (not that there's really any point in multiple taunt auras on a tanker, it'll just overkill taunt stuff).

Shield does offer taunt on a Scrapper, unlike a lot of scrapper armors.  Certainly the scrapper has less taunt than a tanker, but I'd generally consider the taunt aura on shield to be somewhat an advantage to the Scrapper -- all tankers get taunt auras, not all scrappers do.  If you're looking for a differential on "what AT is shield better on," it's notable that it's one of the scrapper taunt aura sets.

tankers get an inherent punchvoke taunt aura on every attack button they press.  that is the multiple.  tankers also have a higher magnitude taunt.  taunt aura is 10 targets... there is value in being able to hold 16 on you.  there is also value in higher magnitude taunts (and stacked magnitude taunts) so that the critters most assuredly do not run away.

as far as shield defense for scrapper is concerned -- i agree shield defense is one of the higher tier powersets for scrapper.  Also correct that not all scrapper armors have a taunt aura and... to their detriment... i personally believe there is no META value in running a scrapper armor set without a taunt aura included.... for fun is a different consideration.  i dont have many criticisms for shield defense (both tanker and scrapper version) other than lack of heal and poor endurance management... both of which are covered by dark melee.  that being said... dark melee offering that healing and endurance utility is to the detriment of it's design intent damage output.

6 hours ago, aethereal said:

That's not a taunt aura.

Well Ackchyually you are technically correct.  the best kind of correct.  hope you are happy -- you win this battle of semantics.

Tanks taunt power also reduces range. Which really helps reduce runners and groups enemies much better, especially the few that only have ranged. Most tanks or brutes don’t take taunt cause MOR DAMAGE so it’s like beating a dead horse anyway.