New(ish) player here! Tanking questions.

BarbarianJon

Quick run down. Only played for a few months, just got back to the game. Made a bunch of things to try out. With friends I have one lvl 50.

But I want to make a good tank/brute.

So far I have a mid lvl Rad/Fire one. Doing great it was recommended to me and it suits my playstyle. Very enjoyable to play.

However, I wish to make a true Tank now, as Brute very much seems to be a hybrid.

Looking over powers I'm torn between Invulnerable, Shield and Radiation. Paired with either Titan weapon (because it looks fun and I was told it has a lot of AoE), Radiation or Mace for similar reasons.

Ultimately I want to be as damage resistant and AoE smacking with high threat generation as possible. 

Thoughts? Tips? Recommendations?

You can't make a Shield/Titan Weapon character, so if you decide to go Titan, then you're got one less armor to consider.

You're picked three of the best armor sets in the game.  Invulnerability and Shield are hybrid defense/resistance sets, while Radiation relies mostly on resistance and regen/absorb.

Titan Weapon is a decent choice, if you can put up with the "momentum" mechanic.  Radiation is a good choice, though a bit endurance heavy, if you want to go Radiation Melee, I'd probably pick radiation armor to offset the end cost (Radiation Armor has Gamma Boost, which increases endurance recovery).  Mace is the most straightforward set in your list, again, a decent contender.

• Thanks 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

I'm particularly fond of tanker radiation armor lately, and it provides an extremely smooth ride all the way to 50 due to the comprehensive resists, powerful absorb shield, and fantastic endurance recovery tools; literally any melee set pairs well with it.

Also, consider a fourth melee possibility: Axe! On tankers, Axe melee is absolutely ridiculous, especially once you get Axe Cyclone. I currently have three Axe toons at 50, two tanks and a scrapper, and they are all completely OP feeling and super fun to play.

Good hunting!

16 hours ago, BarbarianJon said:

Quick run down. Only played for a few months, just got back to the game. Made a bunch of things to try out. With friends I have one lvl 50.

So far I have a mid lvl Rad/Fire one. Doing great it was recommended to me and it suits my playstyle. Very enjoyable to play.

However, I wish to make a true Tank now, as Brute very much seems to be a hybrid.

Looking over powers I'm torn between Invulnerable, Shield and Radiation. Paired with either Titan weapon (because it looks fun and I was told it has a lot of AoE), Radiation or Mace for similar reasons.

Ultimately I want to be as damage resistant and AoE smacking with high threat generation as possible. 

I recently made a Bio Armor tank and I'm loving it.  Bio helps with that damage side of things, while feeling tough on a Tanker.  

22 hours ago, BrandX said:

I recently made a Bio Armor tank and I'm loving it.  Bio helps with that damage side of things, while feeling tough on a Tanker.  

I have a 50 Bio/SS tank named "Rikti Hunter K'rang" that absolutely wrecks face;  his theme is an alien hunter arrived on Earth following the Rikti invasion, who stayed to help defend Paragon City. 😁👍

2 hours ago, Anthraxus said:

I have a 50 Bio/SS tank named "Rikti Hunter K'rang" that absolutely wrecks face;  his theme is an alien hunter arrived on Earth following the Rikti invasion, who stayed to help defend Paragon City. 😁👍

Mine's Bio/Spines symbiote user named, "Shadow-Spider" and she just comes out feeling all tough and powerful, been loving her 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:55 AM, BarbarianJon said:

As Damage Resistant and AoE smacking as possible?

Sounds like my favorite character ever, my RAD/SS Tanker. Two mini-nukes up every 20-30 seconds (at the most) plus spammable Foot Stomp fuled by stacking Rage...

The Res-based defense lets you ignore the -Def from Rage crash and focusing on damage procs across the board let's you ignore that aspect of it as well. In a game where groups move fast I'm usually finishing off mobs by the time my group catches up. LOVE it.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:55 AM, BarbarianJon said:

Titan weapon (because it looks fun and I was told it has a lot of AoE)

Caveat: Many of those cone AoEs it has are limited to 5 targets, which is unusual for a Tanker.  Tankers normally get 10-target cones and 16-target TAoE/PBAoE type attacks.  

TW also has the Momentum mechanic, which can be very annoying to some.  It was to me.  Rather than being a state you maintain, as the name suggests, Momentum is gained for a fixed period of time and then it is lost and has to be reapplied, leading to a rollercoaster fast, fast, fast, slow, fast, fast ,fast... etc.... flow that doesn't say "Momentum" to anyone who has access to a dictionary, at least.  It also seems to penalize you using anything BUT a TW attack while Momentum is up since it's just on a timer.  

Battle Axe is now a lot more fun since its updates.  Axe Cyclone and then Pendulum is a perfect one-two AoE punch.