Dark Blast/? what defense-based set?

Seroster01

So I really want to make a Dark Blast sentinel & pair it with a defense-based set.  The problem is I can't decide on which defense set.

SR seems like my preferred choice because AFAIK it's got the highest level of Defense Debuff Resistance by quite a bit, meaning there's a low chance of CDF & the addition of dark's --tohight is going to make it very hard to hit.  The downsides as I understand it are that the set is almost completely a one-trick pony.  No real resistance buffs, no regeneration bonuses or heals, etc.  The version I'm used to also doesn't have any recovery buffs that I can think of, but it seems like I recall the Sent version having some +rec rolled in somewhere.

The other 2 sets that seem pertinent are Energy Aura & Ninjutsu. I'll be upfront on these that I have almost no experience & only a very vague understanding of either of them.  IIRC sentinel Ninjutsu has both a click-heal & a click-endurance recovery power that don't require mob-siphoning to be effective, which seems pretty nice.  The rest of the "bonus" powers seem kinda meh to me.

Energy aura I barely know about, as I don't think I've ever played it & I certainly can't remember much about it now that I'm not in front of my PC to look at it.

Anyone got suggestions/build tips for one of these?  If I've missed any defense sets that are better options LMK. Again, I'm not in front of my computer (traveling right now) so I could be missing something or be mistaken on what sets & powers do what.

SR has a scaling resistance that goes higher the more health you lose. That's true for all ATs which have it.

Sentinels, IMO have the best version of SR, because they can choose Master Brawler which puts their mezz protection in their first two toggles, plus when clicked offers Absorption. It's not a heal, but it buffers your health. Both are awesome changes.

Ninjutsu is SR's little brother. It's a smidge less DEF, and much less Defense debuff resistance. It also maintains the clicky mezz protection. I don't mind it. Some do.

It offers better healing and end recovery. Even single recharge slotted at level 22 I could keep my blue bar up on AV fights in SBB. It's that good. You also have the opportunity to slot +6% total defense in the passive resistance power from unique IOs. Steadfast and Gladiators. You can also slot Celerity +stealth in Shinobi-iri for full invisible. Now you're a stalker-lite.

If all you want is the best Defense go SR. It does it with get singular focus. If you want a few extra perks that require some IOs, and still have good Defense at end game, go Ninjutsu. I've got mine at 30 and I'm very durable. With IOs I'll be well overat iCap for ranged Defense.

I've not worked long enough with EA to comment, but my understanding is that it can accomplish the same things with proper slotting.

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

FWIW, I'm going controller-lite with my Dark Ninjutsu, to have something to help with groups. The Blinding Powder is great for adds, and can hold good IO sets. Also taking Soul PPP for Darkest Night and Soul Tentacles, adding some soft CC and debuffs to the mix.

I like the Swiss army knife characters.

If you want a more pure DD type, I'd recommend Fire/SR (or Bio, but it's not a pure defense set).

I had a Fire/SR scrapper back in the day and it was a solid performer. I'm sure a sent would be similar.

Sentinel Dark Blast does have a ranged AoE (like fireball), called Dark Obliteration. Neither of the APPs have a ranged AoE, one has a cone immob, the other a PBAOE.

But I'll agree with you, Sentinel does open up a lot of possibilities for character ideas that were limited in the past for one reason or the other.

Perhaps Oldskool or nihili will have advice on defense sets for you, if they see this topic.

For a bit of clarification, I knew about the Sentinel getting a version of it in Dark Blast (that's what really makes me want to play one).  What I was talking about is the thing that inspired me to want it in a normal set was seeing a version of it in what I'm pretty sure was Ghost Widow's PPP for one of the other classes that I played back on live.  The brute or scrapper set I think.  Maybe for SoAs?  Could also be it was just in one of the APPs, IDK.  But anyway, I haven't really looked at Sentinel APPs, so IDK what's in them.  Are any of them considered a cut above the rest?

For a bit of clarification, I knew about the Sentinel getting a version of it in Dark Blast (that's what really makes me want to play one).  What I was talking about is the thing that inspired me to want it in a normal set was seeing a version of it in what I'm pretty sure was Ghost Widow's PPP for one of the other classes that I played back on live.  The brute or scrapper set I think.  Maybe for SoAs?  Could also be it was just in one of the APPs, IDK.  But anyway, I haven't really looked at Sentinel APPs, so IDK what's in them.  Are any of them considered a cut above the rest?

there is a discussion about them another post sometime in the last week. It seems the general consensus is that whatever patron power pool you take, it can either had some control some d buffing some healing or some damage.

I'm not able to delve into pines character creator right now, but the choices all seem to help point your character in one of the three basic directions. You have a chance to download pines, go ahead you can review them make up your mind that what looks best for you.

I personally chose soul, because of the better version of darkest night and the tentacles cone for immobilization.

I'll look at Pines when I get back to my PC tomorrow (it's in a different state, since I'm visiting my grandparents right now).  Was mostly curious if any of them were considered the to be a particularly "optimal" choice, since I don't think I even know what type/variety of powers they give.

It's a mixed lot. Psychic offers a group buff, Link Minds, for example. Fire has things like Fire Sword And Warmth (a small group heal). Dark has Darkest Night, a toggle debuff. No one APP really stands head and shoulder above the others, but they each lend themselves well to rounding out your power selection.

What I remember of a previous discussion was not conclusive, if that tells you anything. No must-have powers come to mind