Ill/Storm (Is this build still any good?)

L8Knight

Seeking advice from experience Control builders, what do I need to update/fix?

Hasten and Phantom Army are permanently up. What new sets am I missing? What problems am I going to run into with end game content? What activities and content should I be focused on to progress?

COH.jpg

COH2.jpg

COH3.jpg

COH4.jpg

COH5.jpg

Edited by L8Knight
updated

• L8Knight changed the title to Ill/Storm (Is this build still any good?)
On 8/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, L8Knight said:

Seeking advice from experience Control builders, what do I need to update/fix?

Hasten and Phantom Army are permanently up. What new sets am I missing? What problems am I going to run into with end game content? What activities and content should I be focused on to progress?

COH.jpg

COH2.jpg

COH3.jpg

COH4.jpg

COH5.jpg

Perma PA should be your first aim on any Ill troller, if you got that your already halfway there. I'd want musculature in and a high defence and resistance build for harder content. Your alpha will apply to your pets and cardiac does 0 for them. Problem with a stormy is your endurance which kind of forces you into ageless destiny which isn't wanted on hard content when everyone expects t4 barriers/rebirth, usually barriers.

Kb isn't helpful when your trying to steam through stuff and team mates are fold spacing mobs, specifically looking at lightning storm and phanty- dump phanty for hardmode, he'll be dead 3 seconds after summoning and during those 3 seconds he'll splatter mobs all over annoying the team.

If you plan at any time to hit gale swap the ff+rech out for a sudden acc kb/kd.

I'd dump thundercap, mag 2 stun will be useless unless your keeping it to mule a 10% rech bonus.

Spectral Terror will need more acc in it for the tough stuff and even after dropping freezing rain before popping it i'm not sure it'll be that helpful.

Hurricane will annoy team full stop unless your out on the edges of mobs shoving them into team-if your out on the edge your not getting the team buffs and most likely the first player to die. Hug the team.

• 5 weeks later

With perma PA its great, without it its pretty weak. 

With perma PA you can solo AVs with illus/storm in relative safety. Without it youre a teaming only toon pretty much. The way it works, when PA despawns its aggro vanishes. So that means phant, decoy phant, traps, and you are all thats left to aggro on. So when PA goes down, without a plan so do you. You can't build defenses into an illusion storm. You just can't you ain't gonna softcap ranged or something on an illusion storm and even beginning to try would gimp every other aspect of the character 

So youre going in with recharge and as much end recovery as you can stack once you have perma PA and you're gonna be made of fucking paper. I mean in end game content anything breathes on you, you die. 

So you embrace death, take rise of the phoenix (which will recharge in like 2 mins or less with all of your global recharge plus another 50+5 io) and you take burnout too because resetting PA so you can cast it again as soon as you rez is very important, at least every 7 min or so which is about as low as I can get burnout on an illus/storm. 

Its a hilarious build if you dump a ton of money into it though. You are chaos incarnate. Two stormclouds throwing out lightning, 2 tornadoes, PA, Phant, Decoy Phant, specter throwing fears, gale with sudden acceleration knocking things down, its a different sort of controller experience than the "lock something down so it cant move" experience other controllers have. Instead you sew chaos and have a toolkit which feels almost like being a mastermind, except none of your pets listen to you at all.

Its different and entertaining and if you fuck up at all you get instantly pasted so there's always that element of danger, being the idiot with zero defenses still trying to solo an AV

14 minutes ago, TheSpiritFox said:

With perma PA its great, without it its pretty weak. 

With perma PA you can solo AVs with illus/storm in relative safety. Without it youre a teaming only toon pretty much. The way it works, when PA despawns its aggro vanishes. So that means phant, decoy phant, traps, and you are all thats left to aggro on. So when PA goes down, without a plan so do you. You can't build defenses into an illusion storm. You just can't you ain't gonna softcap ranged or something on an illusion storm and even beginning to try would gimp every other aspect of the character 

So youre going in with recharge and as much end recovery as you can stack once you have perma PA and you're gonna be made of fucking paper. I mean in end game content anything breathes on you, you die. 

So you embrace death, take rise of the phoenix (which will recharge in like 2 mins or less with all of your global recharge plus another 50+5 io) and you take burnout too because resetting PA so you can cast it again as soon as you rez is very important, at least every 7 min or so which is about as low as I can get burnout on an illus/storm. 

Its a hilarious build if you dump a ton of money into it though. You are chaos incarnate. Two stormclouds throwing out lightning, 2 tornadoes, PA, Phant, Decoy Phant, specter throwing fears, gale with sudden acceleration knocking things down, its a different sort of controller experience than the "lock something down so it cant move" experience other controllers have. Instead you sew chaos and have a toolkit which feels almost like being a mastermind, except none of your pets listen to you at all.

Its different and entertaining and if you fuck up at all you get instantly pasted so there's always that element of danger, being the idiot with zero defenses still trying to solo an AV

Thanks, because I needed yet another alt to create, you jerk, lol.

• Haha 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

13 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Thanks, because I needed yet another alt to create, you jerk, lol.

I named my Illus/Storm "Utter Pandemonium" because that's exactly what she does lol. It takes a minute to ramp up but soloing groups of +4x8 as a random force of nature is entertaining. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheSpiritFox said:

I named my Illus/Storm "Utter Pandemonium" because that's exactly what she does lol. It takes a minute to ramp up but soloing groups of +4x8 as a random force of nature is entertaining. 

Your write up about it definitely makes it sound like a lot of fun, kind of edge of your seat ride that I will have to try at some point because why not have like a 200th alt. 😂

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster