Stone/rad build improvement

Warshades

Wanted to give this combination a try and have a theme for a radioactive rock hero, but would appreciate a second look over to see if I can improve it anywhere. Trying to keep this build relatively cheap so no other purple/winter sets besides the one SMoT set. Stone doesn't seem like it's overly reliant on recharge so I cut out several LotG sets/procs to get more eng/neg resist from shield wall set. Planning to do cardiac alpha and barrier destiny incarnates. With barrier and SMoT proc, the build will soft cap all def except toxic and hard cap all resists except eng/neg/psi.

Don't know if it's worth it to try to get an extra slot in Maneuvers to run a 4 set shield wall for more eng/neg resist (currently sitting at 60% with barrier + SMoT), possibly try to add a slot to Tough for an impervium proc for more psi resist, switch over the SMoT set to another power to give a force feedback proc into Radioactive Smash, or anything else I can do to get better value. Just trying to get the build to be very tanky and have no desire to try and use stone with granite armor.

Would appreciate any suggestions, or even confirmation if the build looks relatively good and sturdy and doesn't need much changing.

Tanker (Stone Armor - Radiation Melee).mbd

With the tanker ATO (Mids is borked and does not show SMoT but it's 6.7% and two stacks are easy to keep up so it's what I account for) and Barrier you account for 18.4%. So S/L is already overcapped with all of this. On the same vein F/C has 5% too much. And E/N is at the weakest spot but splitting Superior Gauntled Fist allots 12% which, with the above, puts it at 79.6%.

With some changes S/L is at 69.8%. 69.8% + the 18.4% mentioned above ends at 88.2%. E/N ends at 87.9%. And F/C ends at 87.5%. If you get a third stack of the ATO (unreliable but not impossible either) they are all capped at 90% as well.

I changed the order of the powers a bit. You don't need an early Earth's Embrace since it is a minimal heal and the HP buff is neutered by the low level raw stats, and you don't need an early Fighting pool since you reach 45% without Weave. Weave will probably be turned off most of the time and just toggled on for enemies that debuff defence. Once that happens you rely on Weave and Barrier for an extra 10% making your defense be 55% without outside aid.

I've also changed Cardiac for Musculature. It's at 2 endurance positive and turning Focused Accuracy should make endurance infinite. You can only turn it when facing enemies that debuff accuracy when solo (slightly tweak the IO choices for more accuracy to be at 95% when facing +3 if wanting to keep FA off). When in a team it does not matter as there is always someone throwing Ageless around since it's a pretty popular choice. If not, well, carry a few Recovery Serums. Or move back to Cardiac since Cardiac Radial will finish capping your resistances without a third ATO stack. I simply prefer the small boost in damage (about 10% from Musculature 33%).

I wouldn't bother too much about a FF proc in Radioactive Smash since there are no particular CDs in the build, but swapping the slotting between Radiation Siphon and Radioactive Smash would allow for it.

Tanker (Stone Armor - Radiation Melee).mbd

Edited by Sovera
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the in depth overview and adjustments you made, I really appreciate it and that's a much better balanced build. I focused a bit to much on trying to keep f/c def soft cap when I really didn't need to since cold is almost none existent and there's little pure fire damage outside of AE fire farms.

I don't really have the budget to get both full sets of the tanker ATOs, but I do like the splitting of SGF to get the e/n resistance up as that's what I struggled with when I made the first build. I'll use the 1 SMoT proc and another 5 set touch of death to save a bit on the cost and go for the full SGF so I can split it. Ended up moving back to a 5 set Numina in Rooted and added extra slot to health for a 2 set PrevMed to make up for the s/l resist without SMoT set. Ends up with similar resist numbers but slightly less recharge and higher end/sec usage (think I lost some end discount bonuses?).

Also like the 33% musculature alpha. I normally always go with the 45% core version of the alpha incarnates but the end mod is definitely useful for this build (think it's got like 12-13 toggles). Since crystal armor can take end mod sets, I wonder if it's worthwhile to try and put a 3rd Perf Shifter proc in there? Would move the Touch of Lady Grey proc slot in Siphon for it if you think it's worthwhile considering the heavy end use of the build. Uploaded the very small changes I made after seeing your build. Again, really appreciate the changes you made to improve it.

Edit: actually went a little over what's needed on s/l resist so I could also just take the 1 health PrevMed slot to give to Crystal Armor for the Perf Shifter proc instead.

Tanker (Stone Armor - Radiation Melee)3.mbd

Edited by Warshades
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Warshades said:

Thank you for the in depth overview and adjustments you made, I really appreciate it and that's a much better balanced build. I focused a bit to much on trying to keep f/c def soft cap when I really didn't need to since cold is almost none existent and there's little pure fire damage outside of AE fire farms.

I don't really have the budget to get both full sets of the tanker ATOs, but I do like the splitting of SGF to get the e/n resistance up as that's what I struggled with when I made the first build. I'll use the 1 SMoT proc and another 5 set touch of death to save a bit on the cost and go for the full SGF so I can split it. Ended up moving back to a 5 set Numina in Rooted and added extra slot to health for a 2 set PrevMed to make up for the s/l resist without SMoT set. Ends up with similar resist numbers but slightly less recharge and higher end/sec usage (think I lost some end discount bonuses?).

Also like the 33% musculature alpha. I normally always go with the 45% core version of the alpha incarnates but the end mod is definitely useful for this build (think it's got like 12-13 toggles). Since crystal armor can take end mod sets, I wonder if it's worthwhile to try and put a 3rd Perf Shifter proc in there? Would move the Touch of Lady Grey proc slot in Siphon for it if you think it's worthwhile considering the heavy end use of the build. Uploaded the very small changes I made after seeing your build. Again, really appreciate the changes you made to improve it.

Edit: actually went a little over what's needed on s/l resist so I could also just take the 1 health PrevMed slot to give to Crystal Armor for the Perf Shifter proc instead.

Tanker (Stone Armor - Radiation Melee)3.mbd 48.3 kB · 1 download

Despite the sonorous 45% in Musculature it's actually about 15% which is still nice, so going from 45% to 33% is not a huge loss, and yes I always put end mod in Crystal Armor as I have it in the (near) immortal build in my signature and other stone armor builds in that thread.

Honestly I'd keep selling merits or using them to make money since another 60 million for a complete set of normal ATOs should not take too long. I'm assuming you know how to sell or use merits but just in case check the newbie guide in the signature if not.

Posted (edited)

Honestly I'd keep selling merits or using them to make money since another 60 million for a complete set of normal ATOs should not take too long. I'm assuming you know how to sell or use merits but just in case check the newbie guide in the signature if not.

I do, it's more a combination of issues (varying work schedule, not much uninterrupted time to play for TFs, several other chars that I'm also building, etc). For the most part when I do find time to play, I've been using a second account that has a spine/fire brute to just power level various alts that I plan to play and build, but that limits how much influence I earn. Have been saving any purple drops since I can use converters to make useful sets that I need for other chars.

I used to have a stone/stone brute before CoH shut down who was my main char that I did badge hunting with (not the best decision I ever made, but at some point I felt like I was to far along to stop and start on another char). I actually hadn't touched stone armor since then but with the changes to Rooted no longer causing the slow and preventing regular travel powers, I wanted to make a stone armor build again. Discovered that CoH servers were available again very late, only about 4-5 months or so ago I think. I'll definitely take a look at the brute and tank builds in your signature. My experience with stone armor was a mixture of love and hate. Holds a nostalgic spot in my heart since that stone/stone brute was my first 50 and main char that I used for badging, but also absolutely hated playing with granite/rooted and was not a big fan of TP as a travel even with binds.

Thanks again for the awesome improvements!

Edited by Warshades
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later