New Powerset for Archetypes

42 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Beam Rifle, Assault Rifle, and Arsenal Control are not highly origin specific. Any Natural origin character can have a knack for guns and devices. Any Mutation origin character can have a mutation such as superhuman reflexes or perception that makes them especially skilled at using guns and devices or have a mutation that requires a gun or other devices to manifest like the shillelagh-wielding Black Tom. Any Science origin character can have a specially designed gun or other devices that makes use of non-gunpowder chemicals as propellant or other enhancements to improve the gun or devices. And any Magic origin character can have a gun and devices as a focus for their magic, possibly explaining why they never run out of ammo, utilizing a crystal core that powers the weapon/device or propels the the projectile, uses magic to empower the weapon itself, and myriad other means as is demonstrated across many forms of media including comics, movies, video games, table top games, and more.

This I agree with you on. It should have simply been called Undead, Undead Mastery, or similar.

1. the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
    "advances in computer technology"
    • machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
      "it will reduce the industry's ability to spend money on new technology"
    • the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences.

30 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I have several Dark powerset characters that are Science based. Does Stranger Things ring a bell?

I have multiple mutants that carry guns, I have a magic user who materializes Traps from another dimension.

At first glance, no one would be able to tell if that was so. that's what I am trying to convey to you.

8 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

don't you think you've spend enough time and effort hijacking Solok's thread?

I... forgot this wasn't even originally wings' thread.

4 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

At first glance, no one would be able to tell if that was so. that's what I am trying to convey to you.

Er, what do they look like then? How would you make dark more science-y?

Edited by megaericzero
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Owl Girl said:

it should be called Reanimation, but there would still be a problem with all the ghosts.

I don't believe it would be an issue to create a zombie power set more aligned with the traditional movie portrayal of zombies. However, altering an already established power set could be seen as disrespectful to the creators who originally developed it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

I... forgot this wasn't even originally wings' thread.

Er, what do they look like then? How would you make dark more science-y?

1. @Solok can chime in at any time.

2.  First don't add darkness effects. Second, if you don't recall a group in the game that focuses on just that the Vahzilok is science-based.

Murk Eidolon

In Dr. Vahzilok's mind, the Eidolons are mankind's next great evolutionary leap. Unlike the cadavers, they retain all of their memories and personality. The lucky few who can pay to become an Eidolon are augmented with the remains of heroes, so they often have superpowers. Murk Eidolons, like the Mire Eidolons, have mastered the ability to control darkness. They tend to immobilize their opponents, then drain their life.

Levels: 1-20

Powers

Shadow Punch Melee, Moderate Negative/Smash Damage, Foe -ToHit
Your Accuracy is reduced by the Shadow Punch.

Dark Blast Ranged, Moderate Negative Damage, Foe -ToHit
Your Accuracy has been reduced by the Dark Blast.

Midnight Grasp Melee, Superior Damage over Time(Negative), Foe Immobilize, -ToHit
You are Immobilized by the Midnight Grasp. Your Accuracy is reduced as a result.

Dark Embrace Self, Toggle, Res( S30 L30 N20 T20 )
The Eidolon taps into the energy of the netherworld to protect him from damage. Dark Embrace shrouds the Eidolon in darkness and grants the Eidolon resistance to Lethal, Smashing, and Negative Energy Damage. Cannot be used at the same time as Murky Cloud or Obsidian Shield.

Oppressive Gloom Toggle, Point Blank Area of Effect, Foe Disorient, Self -HP
You have been Disoriented.

Edited by Wavicle

3 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

2.  First don't add darkness effects. Second, if you don't recall a group in the game that focuses on just that the Vahzilok is science-based.

I'm confused.

Re: First: are you saying dark would look more science-y if it didn't have darkness?

Re: Second: the Eidolons' dark powers use the same FX and animation as players. How are they any more science-looking?

Edited by megaericzero

11 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:
  1. the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
    "advances in computer technology"
    • machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
      "it will reduce the industry's ability to spend money on new technology"
    • the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences.

What's your point? You think you can't have a computer-enhanced gun? That's what the cyberpunk genre's smart guns are. You think you can't have a computer built into your devices? That makes for a good explanation for how the Acid Mortar identifies targets.

You think you can't have a natural aptitude for guns and devices? Or maybe you think you can't train to push yourself to excel with guns and devices?

You think you can't have a mutation that either requires a gun or device to work? (Cyclops uses a device to control his optic blasts.)

You think a mage can't empower a weapon with magic? Guess no such thing as magic swords in fantasy literature then. You think magic can't be the source for how guns work? Guess fantasy coilguns and technomagic weapons don't exist in literature, comics, or games either.

Except all those are just easily remembered references for each origin other than technology for guns and devices.

So again, what is your point with that post?

15 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

And yet there is. Anything we currently have in the game can be any origin. And the weapon sets have things to show that. Like that crystal rifle. The Runic Caster or something like that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Murk Eidolon

In Dr. Vahzilok's mind, the Eidolons are mankind's next great evolutionary leap. Unlike the cadavers, they retain all of their memories and personality. The lucky few who can pay to become an Eidolon are augmented with the remains of heroes, so they often have superpowers. Murk Eidolons, like the Mire Eidolons, have mastered the ability to control darkness. They tend to immobilize their opponents, then drain their life.

Levels: 1-20

Powers

Shadow Punch Melee, Moderate Negative/Smash Damage, Foe -ToHit
Your Accuracy is reduced by the Shadow Punch.

Dark Blast Ranged, Moderate Negative Damage, Foe -ToHit
Your Accuracy has been reduced by the Dark Blast.

Midnight Grasp Melee, Superior Damage over Time(Negative), Foe Immobilize, -ToHit
You are Immobilized by the Midnight Grasp. Your Accuracy is reduced as a result.

Dark Embrace Self, Toggle, Res( S30 L30 N20 T20 )
The Eidolon taps into the energy of the netherworld to protect him from damage. Dark Embrace shrouds the Eidolon in darkness and grants the Eidolon resistance to Lethal, Smashing, and Negative Energy Damage. Cannot be used at the same time as Murky Cloud or Obsidian Shield.

Oppressive Gloom Toggle, Point Blank Area of Effect, Foe Disorient, Self -HP
You have been Disoriented.

Yes but still appear to be science based creations.

5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

What's your point? You think you can't have a computer-enhanced gun? That's what the cyberpunk genre's smart guns are. You think you can't have a computer built into your devices? That makes for a good explanation for how the Acid Mortar identifies targets.

You think you can't have a natural aptitude for guns and devices? Or maybe you think you can't train to push yourself to excel with guns and devices?

You think you can't have a mutation that either requires a gun or device to work? (Cyclops uses a device to control his optic blasts.)

You think a mage can't empower a weapon with magic? Guess no such thing as magic swords in fantasy literature then. You think magic can't be the source for how guns work? Guess fantasy coilguns and technomagic weapons don't exist in literature, comics, or games either.

Except all those are just easily remembered references for each origin other than technology for guns and devices.

So again, what is your point with that post?

And yet there is. Anything we currently have in the game can be any origin. And the weapon sets have things to show that. Like that crystal rifle. The Runic Caster or something like that?

My point is regards of what the gun looks like it's still tech-based first then whatever you explain it to be second.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wingslord24 said:

My point is regards of what the gun looks like it's still tech-based first then whatever you explain it to be second.

Anybody can carry a gun. Take the character Bishop, mutant with energy powers, but carries a gun. Sure in the movies they connected them, but in the comics he just also carries a gun. Doesn't make him a tech based character. He's a mutant with a gun.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

So what would you request for a magic-looking gun? We have the Celestial Rifle and the Rune Soldier Rifle and the Shard Cannon already, but I'm open to more weapon models being added.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add "and the Shard Cannon".
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Yes that's my point. Science characters with dark powers. Darkness does not mean magic necessarily.

And those didn't come into play, until he started working with other groups such as circle of thorns. They drive there powers from the netherworld

an alternate universe for the dead, aka hell. Sartre portrayed it as a room with annoying furniture and a quirky love triangle. On Earth, netherworld refers to a secret underworld or a no-man's land.

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Anybody can carry a gun. Take the character Bishop, mutant with energy powers, but carries a gun. Sure in the movies they connected them, but in the comics he just also carries a gun. Doesn't make him a tech based character. He's a mutant with a gun.

You made my point he's a mutant with tech.

And those didn't come into play, until he started working with other groups such as circle of thorns. They drive there powers from the netherworld

an alternate universe for the dead, aka hell. Sartre portrayed it as a room with annoying furniture and a quirky love triangle. On Earth, netherworld refers to a secret underworld or a no-man's land.

That's not what it says. It says it's a person whose body has been augmented with super hero body parts. In this case it gives them control of darkness. It doesn't say anything at all about what the source of the those dark powers are. All we know from in game lore is that dark powers come from another dimension. Access to that doesn't necessarily come from magic.

I am LITERALLY right now playing a Science origin Dark Blaster. There's nothing at all in the animations that screams magic, I made them pink!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

Yes but still appear to be science based creations.

If you think the Vahzilok are an example of dark powers that look science-y, then it has to be their outfits exclusively because their dark power vfx are the exact same ones players use which you dismissed as not-obviously-science.

• Like 2

A Natural origin character can be a human-like race with a natural connection to the dark. A Science origin character can have been involved in some horrific experiment or lab accident that granted the character darkness powers. A Technology origin character can have devices that grant the character access to darkness powers. And a Mutant origin character can simply wield darkness powers because that is his/her/their mutation.

2 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:
6 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

You made my point he's a mutant with tech.

And that is @Wavicle's point. That a character can effectively be multi-origins. A mutant who also wields guns as per the Bishop example.

If the zombies could be summoned using vials filled with different colored liquids, and enhanced by injecting them with various substances, it would create a unique approach to the power set. The attack weapon could be a specialized gun designed for delivering these enhancements.

• Like 1

If the zombies could be summoned using vials filled with different colored liquids, and enhanced by injecting them with various substances, it would create a unique approach to the power set. The attack weapon could be a specialized gun designed for delivering these enhancements.

If there's not currently an Assault Rifle Epic for Masterminds hopefully there will be soon.

• Thanks 1