Can't Get Past Log-In

Clave Dark 5

Just as the title says.  Here's everything I've done to try and get in (in no particular order), but to no avail:

1) Tequila downloaded, opened up, everything loaded

2) Revalidated numerous times

3)  Tried to get in with both http://www.savecoh.com/manifest.xml and http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml

4)  Run is as administrator

5)  Cleared it through my firewall [which wasn't complaining about it when I tried but I figure why not; I even cleared what tech told me was the IP for it, 178.128.143.231]

6)  Tried clearing the launch parameters

7)  Updated graphics drivers just in case

8)  Made sure the folders aren't set as read-only [Windows apparently will sort of do this permanently by leaving a blue box inside the check box rather than a check mark, but when I check the files within, they don't show as read-only unless they're a folder inside it themselves; some weird Window thing that can't be undone by any method I found online]

9)  Created a forum account here (obvs) and then the game account

10)  Posted a few times in the Dicord server's #tech area, although I didn't get much response ]not that I blame them, I'd be playing right now instead of chatting online if I could]

11)  Tried to log-in probably twenty times by now, even late at night/early morning, so I don't think it would be the server load, right?

12)  For information's sake, I'm running Win 7 64 bit

And yet I still end up with that little message box "the game client was unable to connect."

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Nothing crashes, I don't get past the log-in screen.  I enter the user name, my pass word and the mess age box that says "the game client was unable to connect [etc.]" pops up. 

I don't get past that to choosing a sever or a character or anything, it just won't go any further.  It hasn't frozen, crashed, hiccuped nor glitched.  It's running fine, it just isn't logging me in, I cannot get past the log-in screen because it isnb't connecting to the server for some reason..

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Well first I cleared the firewall's quarantine, enabled its "gamer mode" (I'm running ESET btw) and then also outright paused the firewall completely and it still showed me the same message, so it's can't be that. 

I've followed your install guide again and so far nothing.  One question I did have though was this section:

Jacke reported an interesting issue: sometimes (perhaps some versions of?) Tequila creates a key named "params" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila in your system registry - and it seems it uses that value preferentially over the ones in tequila.xml.

If any of these is happening:

SCORE continues to report wrong game version even when Tequila.xml contains the -noversioncheck parameter

SCORE crashes on launch

SCORE is unable to connect to the authentication / login servers [Yup, that's me!]

Start -> Find/Run -> Regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Tequila . Remove everything inside the Tequila key

I can navigate regedit and find it, but the terminology of "key" is confusing in that last line.  Does that mean I should delete all the files in there?  Currently I see it listing (default), BGColor, CoHPath, LastManifest, and Manifests (it has the old and the new, I've been trying to log in using the new one, http://www.savecoh.com/manifest.xml).  Or is one of these files the "key"?

Go have fun!

I deleted it all, it asked for the install path, and it still wouldn't work, same results.  This is getting pretty ridiculous!  I'm not techie enough to know, but what's left to look at?

ETA: regardless, thanks for your help on this!

ETA again:  It's funny, because I can get into Icon with this, I was just in poking around and it worked fine there.  For some reason the log-in server just doesn't like me.

Go have fun!

That means you're getting one step further in than I am, so at least you've got that going for you, ha ha!

I knew I should have given this month before I got involved with it...

Go have fun!

Still having the same problems.  I tried Cream Soda and had the same results.

I was wondering, so I looked over the Tequila logs and didn't see anything obvious indicating it was having problems, but maybe I don't know what I should be looking for.  I would post a log-in attempt log here but I'm not currently on the computer i Have it installed in.  Could someone please tell me what sort of red flags I maybe should be looking for in the Tequila log?

Thanks everybody.

Go have fun!

Dunno at this point, its pretty straight forward to install especially on w7, I am on w7 too, as it not as wonky with read/write stuff as w10.

Only thing I can think is for you to uninstall it all delete everything.

Go in registry and delete everything to do with Tequila  AND cryptic/coh  see the guide.

Undo anything you did to your firewall and anti virus.

Reinstall from scratch using my magnet link in my guide, use the one in my thread  further down the page near the bottom.

I mean on w7 it should be pretty easy, firewall will open a window and ask you if you want to let it through...for your anti virus make an exception for the whole install folder.  Download the new tequila.xml in the guide OP see attachment to replace the one in the torrent.

Make sure you you run tequila.exe and its pointing at your install folder, revalidate for a quick update, make sure you do this while score is highlight.  hit play and enjoy the game beyond that it's something on your end blocking the connection.

Dunno do you have a firewall beyond what w7 has?

Do you have some weird internet connection like that have at school that block shit?

Have a look on page 4 of my guide, I have a picture there with all the files that should be in your "City of Heroes" folder.

Oh I know this should be easy, ha ha, but something's just not working here.  Really, I have tried everything I can find, here, your guide, on Discord, etc., often multiple times, checking for any update or something, double checking files, where they point, if they're read/write, all that stuff.  My connection's just at home, so unless Comcast is blocking it for some reason, there's nothing there either.    I will check that list of files for CoH just to be sure.

I have deleted and reloaded before, but I can give that another go and do the regedit trick too and see.

And I haven't tried redownloading it from the magnet link.  It doesn't seem like there should be any diff in the files, but I can guess I'll try it just to see.

Go have fun!

I have mentioned twice I think that I'm running ESET home (a paid version at that).  It handles the fire wall, threat protection etc.  I've spent mucho time poking around in it trying to see if that's where the problem lies, white-listing Tequila, etc., up to and including turning it off and trying to connect.  Still nothing.

Go have fun!

I have mentioned twice I think that I'm running ESET home (a paid version at that).  It handles the fire wall, threat protection etc.  I've spent mucho time poking around in it trying to see if that's where the problem lies, white-listing Tequila, etc., up to and including turning it off and trying to connect.  Still nothing.

Not familiar with ESET.... thing is white listing just Tequila will not be enough you need to whitelist/add an exception to the WHOLE install folder.

I mean it's hard for us to help at this point as we are not actually there in your home to see and look around so beyond us saying something on your end is blocking not allowing you to connect there's not much we can do.

A quick google search tells me eset is one of them huffy anti virus.....have you done what is in this link to exclude the whole install folder AND oher stuff mentioned?  It  looks like eset has more several things to check or unblock.

Using wildcards

To exclude the contents of an entire folder or a file, use the * symbol at the end of the full filepath. For example, to exclude scanning of all applications in the "april" folder, you would type C:\temp\2017\april\*.exe in the Exclusion field. To exclude scanning of applications named "app" in the "april" folder, you would type C:\temp\2017\april\app*.exe. For additional information about using wildcards to exclude files or folders from scanning, press F1 from the Add exclusion window.

If you are still experiencing issues with your application, it is possible that you need to exclude it from Web access protection if it connects to the internet. Exclude a safe website from being blocked by Web Access Protection.

https://support.eset.com/kb2769/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Sorry I thought ESET was just a software firewall, not antivirus, meaning it would block the ports but not the processes themselves (like an antivirus does), which is why I was asking about an antivirus.

I got in, without doing a thing.  It so happens I was about to switch my net carrier from ComCast to Century Link, and when I did, bingo!  I was thinking my next step was going to be to check the router settings, but I got caught up IRL and then knew my change-over was coming so I thought I'd wait and see.  So the troubleshooting guide may need a note on routers (or ComCast for all I know).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Go have fun!