Should I have any expectations here?

Zerohour

I was a long time, diehard city of heroes player from the beginning. It absolutely crushed me when they turned off the lights all those years ago. I’ve never been able to find a game like this and with such a great community since. With this development now of this possible re-launch, should I let myself get excited? Or are the chances pretty good we’re going to lose this again?  I know we’re kind of waiting on word from this Tony V guy, but realistically from everybody’s opinion, what are the chances that this is going to stick?  I also know that this has been pursued a couple of times already, with horrible results from NC soft. So why would this time work when the other times didn’t?

The source code has been released to the public. The cat is out of the bag. There's no going back, and NCSoft can't really stop it. The only question is what shape the game takes now, if we'll be blessed to keep a stable set of servers like what the Homecoming team has built here, or if to play we'll have to follow a never-ending parade of servers that NCSoft keeps trying to shut down like a game of whack-a-mole. Time will tell. For now, we should enjoy what we have while we have it. The game is OURS now, forever. All NCSoft can do is to try to slow us down, but they can't stop us.

I'm out.

The code is out and private servers are a thing people can do. Little or nothing NCSoft can do about that. Large public servers like Homecoming however are an unanswered question. Big public targets are relatively easy to shut down with lawyers. So you could roll your own server to play on privately with close family and friends and probably have little or nothing to fear. But we don't yet know the future of Homecoming and any others like it that may emerge. TonyV is a longstanding pillar of the CoH community and I have faith he'll do all he can to secure the blessing of community servers. But there are no guarantees. The future of public servers like this is still very much up in the air. So hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Reality is what I make it

I look at it this way:

I expected after I24 Beta was out, that there would be an I24. I expected the game would be there for me to play for some time to come. It wasn't, and one of my most favorite games was gone and that left me sad and a bit pissy.

I never had any expectations of playing CoH again, and now my happiness level is through the roof since Homecoming's launch. So I'm going to keep NOT expecting anything, and just be damn grateful for however long this is possible.

There's no guarantees, and we'll all be better off accepting that and still enjoying what we have.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I get what everyone is saying about “enjoy it while it’s here”, but I’m not sure I almost feel like if I get a taste of this for a month or two and then it’s taken away again that’s going to be a lot worse than to have not had it at all. Regardless I’ll be resurrecting a couple of my favourites and playing for as long as I can, how can I pass this up however fleeting it might be

...I’m not sure I almost feel like if I get a taste of this for a month or two and then it’s taken away again that’s going to be a lot worse than to have not had it at all...

Nah, you've lost it once and lived, a second time won't be as bad. At least right now you're appreciating it more than you did before (I assume).

Given that independent servers will rise up should these servers be taken down at least softens the blow. With any luck, someone will make a way to export what characters we've worked on so we can take them to independent servers. Then we won't have to worry about it.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png