Death from Below!

Mjolnerd

I've been trying for a while to find an answer, but nobody seems to know: Is the LFG tab/queueing system for trials like Death from Below and Incarnate content actually working?

Nobody seems to be using it. Is that because it's broken, or because people just don't know it's there?

For those that don't know -- it came about pretty late in the game's original lifespan -- you click the "LFG" tab at the top of your chat window (I'm not talking about the "Team" tab's feature that lets you flag yourself as looking for a group; click the tab that literally says "LFG"). You'll see a list of available events. At level 1, that's Death from Below, the "new" sewer run. The better sewer run. The quicker, more effective, more interesting sewer run with better rewards. The one that, by the game's end, had made the traditional sewer run something people only did for nostalgia/novelty.

There's another, mid-level trial that's similar. It's also how you enter Incarnate trials, as well as holiday events and similar limited-time content.

You queue up, then you go about your business beating up Hellions or whatever. Once there are enough people for a team, you get a pop-up letting you know the event is about to start. Click it and viola -- you're doing the event!

Assuming that isn't broken at the moment. Which I can't verify. Either it's not working, or I'm the only one using it. Can someone confirm one way or another?

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

I joined a sewer team yesterday. When they started literally killing mobs in the sewers I asked if they didn't mean to do DFB. They didn't know what it was.

Sadly it was shortly before the server went down, so I didn't get to show them.

People are behaving like it's broken. Maybe it's just turned off. People who left the game around i18 or earlier (i14) sometimes seem averse to later features, sometimes very strongly. If the server operators here are of like mind that could be a problem.

I got really burnt out on the game a little after Going Rogue and had absolutely no clue they added this feature or that there was a different type of sewer run, I somewhat tried to keep an eye on stuff they added while I was away until shutdown. That's both wild and exciting, I would love to know if this system is working as well.

Reasons the LFG newbie trials might have been intentionally turned off are that the XP rate is high, pushing characters to level 20 or higher in less than eight runs (the amount of repetitions needed to collect all the rewards from both DFB and DIB, amounting to about two hours of play altogether), they reward power boosts that remain in effect to level 20, and drop SOs on low-level players.

Reasons the LFG newbie trials might have been intentionally turned off are that the XP rate is high, pushing characters to level 20 or higher in less than eight runs (the amount of repetitions needed to collect all the rewards from both DFB and DIB, amounting to about two hours of play altogether), they reward power boosts that remain in effect to level 20, and drop SOs on low-level players.

I get that there are reasons it might not be working, intentionally or otherwise, but what I'm really trying to figure out here is just a simple is it/is it not. I mean, if the system as a whole is down, that affects Incarnate trials as well, so it's important information one way or another.

HOWEVER...

I started a similar thread to this in one of the CoH Facebook groups, and one respondent claims to have done a DFB trial recently. I'm going to try to confirm after work tonight, but it looks like this might be a case of a playerbase ignorant to the existence of the feature rather than an inability to use it at all. I'll update later on with my findings.

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

DFB does work and launch if you do so from a team. BUT when you load in the team is in a weird state of being disbanded and not, you all load in but are all soloing and no one can invite anyone to a team as everyone gets a "you are not the team leader" error.

you can see each other and fight the mobs, just not as a team.

Edit - i've just posted about this on the help forum

DFB does work and launch if you do so from a team. BUT when you load in the team is in a weird state of being disbanded and not, you all load in but are all soloing and no one can invite anyone to a team as everyone gets a "you are not the team leader" error.

you can see each other and fight the mobs, just not as a team.

Edit - i've just posted about this on the help forum

Just to add to this, I can also confirm that it's working, and that there's something strange happening with teaming. I queued solo and got loaded in with 3 others, but none of us could invite the others to a team. We didn't get an error, the invite prompts simply wouldn't show.

"working" may not be entirely accurate, at lvl 18 I tried to queue with the LFG and kept getting "The beast beneath the mountain" solo from Virgil Tarikoss, maybe i did something wrong

i frequently somehow manage to click two of the trials/tfs at once without realising it... (tend to use the lfg queue to quickly tp to the sig toons to get to other zones) several times ive gone to the wrong one cus i clicked multiples some how

Someone had said they ran Death From Below with no problems a few days ago. Today I joined a league that said they had just finished a Lambda, and we ran five BAF's with only one major mapserver disconnect. Maybe that was the reason we just had another server reboot  :D

"A true ruler is as moral as a hurricane...empty, but for the force of his gale."

I finally got one to work this morning, right after the server reboot. Only four people, but it went fine -- none of the issues others have reported.

Just need to get the word out that it exists now!

• City Council

As I understand it, LFG is hit or miss - the turnstile itself functions, but the statserver (which is somehow pretty important to putting you into a league) crashes a lot. So, shrug.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!