Protector (Melee/Support)

Yes, another one. (I figure the more people ask for an Archetype like this, the more likely it will happen, also the more people tackling the idea from different angles the better the end result will be) I am not as familiar with all the underlying math, (I am an artist not a mathematician) so I hope someone will be willing to help me with it. Funnily enough I started with an attempt to simplify this popular Idea, but ended up getting a little over ambitious. (This is the story of my Life) Furthermore, their are a few half-formed ideas here that I am going to need feedback to sift thru. Let's start with the basics.

Protector

The greatest figures of history often lead by example. Inspiring Awe, and often Terror in others with great and terrible deeds. Thus is the way of the Protector charging headfirst into the fray as a shinning example to their allies, and an undeniable threat to their foes.

Primary: Melee

Secondary: Buff/Debuff (Variant)

Survivability: 7*

Melee Damage: 7

Ranged Damage: 2

Crowd Control: 4

Support: 5-10*

Pets: 2

See Glory and Honor*

Inherent Power: Glory & Honor

• Honor is a Passive effect that grants the Protector a stack of glory evetime they land a Successful Melee Attack. (Up to 5 Stacks), as well as applies a on hit Taunt similar to the Scrappers.
  • No one Melee Attack can grant more than 1 stack of Glory, even an AoE will only grant a single stack of Glory.
  • Glory is a buff which increases the Protectors health regeneration & damage resistance as well as the potency of all the Protector’s activated (Non-Passive, Non-Toggle) support powers.
  • With no Glory stacks the Protector's Support Powers should be on par with a Mastermind, while with five Glory stacks they should be on par with a Defender.
  • Stacks of Glory fade somewhat quickly, but are refreshed every time you get a new stack of Glory. 
  • A Stack of Glory is Consumed every time the Exemplar uses an Active (Non-Passive, Non-Toggle) Support Power.

Primary Power: Melee

While the intention is for support to be the Protectors primary Focus, I wanted to leave room for the existing support classes, The Defender being the pure support class, and Corrupter it's more aggressive counterpart, with the Protector being a tougher front line variant. It just feels natural to build the class more like a melee Corrupter (with higher damage and survivability to compensate for it's higher risk playstyle) as I feel like that will grant more merit to the archetypes existence overall. All that being said the classes melee powers should be Somewhere in between the Tanker and the Brute, with the only real difference from other Melee AT's being a unique power they get instead of Confront, Taunt, or Placate (See Below).

Dauntless

You muster your indomitable will and stubborn pride to stand against your foes in an inspiring act of courage. Consuming all stacks of Glory to increase your resistance to all damage based on the number of stacks consumed, and immediately breaking free from any Sleep, Hold, Immobilization, Disorient, Fear, Confuse, or Knockback effects.

Cooldown: Slow. Effects; Click, Self Special +Resist (All).

I-can-do-this-all-day-Steve-Rogers.gif

Of course baring this they could just get Confront.

Secondary Power: Buff/Debuff (Variant)

• I am currently planning to give a treatment to an array of mostly dissimilar power sets to serve as examples of how Protector Buff/Debuff Powersets work such as:
  • Kinetics
  • Empathy/Pain (First Draft)
  • Storm Summoning (Third Draft)
  • Forcefields
  • A Mostly new Set made mostly from the Shields and Soldier/Widow Secondary Powersets.
  • And at least one other based on community feedback.
  • Should I maybe do these in a different Thread or maybe a google doc?

Breath Control (Empathy)

Qi, Chi, Prana, Breath all names for the animating energy of the spirit. Breath Control grants you dominion over this fundamental energy. Allows you to heal and empower allies as well as yourself. Breath Control's Healing is output is unmatched. (I still haven't figured this one out yet. It's so selfless which is great for a defender, not so much for this AT, yet Empathy is so desired by those wanting this AT concept that it feels wrong not to do it. Need someone with more knowledge of the power, as well as Regeneration, or any other useful Def powers that might act as a substitutions for it.)

Psychic Vampirism

Psychic Vampirism gives a character the ability to manipulate, nullify and amplify pain via the manipulation of psychic energy. Ultimately this grants the user powerful healing, buffing and debuffing powers. Its healing output is considerable!

Spoiler

High Pain Tolerance

You have a greater tolerance to pain than others. You are also slightly resistant to all types of damage. This power is always on and costs no endurance.

Effects; Auto: Self +Res(All), +Max Health

Nullify Pain

Nullify Pain will heal nearby allies for some hit points by numbing the pain caused by their wounds. Nullify Pain is not as potent as Soothe, but can heal multiple targets at once. 

Recharge: Moderate. PBAoE, Team Heal.

Soothe

You heal an ally by numbing their pain and calming their mind. You cannot use this power on yourself.

Recharge: Fast. Effects; Ranged, Ally Heal. 

Enforced Morale

Frees an ally from any Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Fear, Confuse and Immobilize effects and leaves them resistant to such effects for a good while. Also, Enforced Morale grants the target clearer Perception to see hidden foes, and a minor recharge and movement speed boost. The Protection and Movement boosts will improve with multiple applications and as you advance in level, although the Recharge and Movement boost will only apply for the first few applications. If the ally is not damaged, Enforce Morale will cause them some pain before granting its benefits.

Recharge: Fast. Effects; Ally +Res(Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Immobilize, Fear, Confuse), +Perception, +Recharge, +Speed, Minor Damage(Special)

Rise to the Challenge

The more the odds are against you, the more determined you become. When surrounded by foes, your ability to regenerate health increases greatly. Additionally, your resolve and the look in your eye is enough to leave most foes shaken, so their attacks are less accurate. The first foe you engage in melee grants the highest regeneration bonus, and up to 10 foes can contribute to this effect.

Recharge: Slow. Effects; Toggle: PBAoE, Foe -To Hit, Self +Regen.

Soothing Aura

While this power is active all nearby allies will be healed by Soothing Aura every couple of seconds for a small portion of their health. (NOTE: While on PvP maps this power will grant affected targets a regeneration effect instead of a periodic heal.)

Recharge: Fast. Effects; Toggle: PBAoE, Team Minor Periodic Heal

World of Pain

When this power is activated the user and all nearby team members will gain a moderate damage, resistance, and To Hit bonus. Additionally those affected by this power will also be protected from Placate effects.

Recharge: Slow. Effects; PBAoE, PBAoE, Team +DMG, +To-Hit, +Res(All, Placate)

Anguishing Cry

You let out an Anguishing Cry causing a great deal of pain in your foes reducing their resistance and defense to damage for a short time

Recharge: Very Long. Effects; PBAoE, Foe -DEF(All), -Res(All)

Conduit of Pain

You revive a fallen ally by becoming a Conduit of Pain and transferring the pain that was inflicted upon them back upon your enemies. This will briefly empower you increasing your damage output, recovery rate, attack rate and chance to hit. After a minute the effect will wear off leaving you weakened for 30 seconds. Your damage, attack rate and chance to hit will all be reduced during this period.

Recharge: Very Long. Effects; Close, Ally Rez, Self +DMG, +To-Hit, +Recharge, +Recovery, +Special

Storm Calling

You are a force of nature; Storm Calling allows you to call upon the raging storm within to aid your allies and wreak havoc upon your foes.

Spoiler
Charged Armor

When you toggle on this power, you surround yourself in a charged field that makes you resistant to Smashing, Lethal, and Energy damage.

Recharge: Fast. Effects; Toggle, Self+Resistance (Smash, Lethal, Energy).

Second Wind

Saturate the air around yourself with rich oxygen and take a deep breath, healing yourself and nearby allies. This second wind will provide protection against Sleep, Stun, & Endurance Drain Effects. (Uses O2Boost Visual Effect)

Recharge: Moderate. Effects; PBAoE, Team: Heal + Resistance (Disorient, Sleep, Endurance Drain)

Chilling Embrace

While Active, You Dramatically Lower the Temperature around yourself, Slowing the Attack Rate of All Nearby Foes, as well as their Movement Speed. (The Taunt has been Removed)

Recharge: Very Fast. Effects; PBAoE Toggle, Foe -Recharge -Speed -Damage.

Steamy Mist

Your mastery of the elements allows you to hide yourself and all nearby allies within a Steamy Mist. Steamy Mist makes you and your allies harder to see and increases your Defense bonus to all attacks, while reducing Fire, Cold, and Energy damage, as well as your Foes ability to Confuse you and your allies. You cannot use any other Concealment type powers while using Steamy Mist. (No Change)

Recharge: Slow. Effects; PBAoE Toggle, Team Stealth, Team +Defense (All) +Resistance (Fire, Cold, Energy, Confuse).

Freezing Rain

Summons Freezing Rain at a targeted location. Freezing Rain deals minimal Cold damage to anything that passes through the storm. It also Slows the affected foes and severely reduces their Defense and resistance to damage. Many foes may even slip and fall trying to escape the storm. (No Change)

Recharge: Long. Effects; Ranged (Located Area of Effect, Foe -Speed, -Recharge, -Defense, -Resistance.

Vortex

You form a barrier of swirling wind and rain around yourself, the powerful winds surrounding you will grant yourself increased ranged and AoE Defense, as well as reduce the range and accuracy of all nearby foes. (Uses Hurricane’s Animation)

Recharge: Slow. Effects; PBAoE Toggle, Self+Defense (Ranged, AoE), Foe -Range -Accuracy.

Thunderclap

You can call forth a tremendous Thunderclap that will Disorient most foes in a large area around you.

Recharge: Slow. Effects; PBAoE, Foe Disorient.

Power Sink

Power Sink leeches’ energy directly from the bodies of all nearby foes, draining their Endurance. Each foe you draw energy from increases your Endurance. If there are no foes within range, you will not gain any Endurance.

Recharge: Long. Effects; PBAoE, Self +Endurance, Foe -Endurance.

Lightning Storm

You can create a massive Lightning Storm that will strike any foe that approaches you. Lightning from this storm can knock down and damage all nearby foes and can even instill panic. Lightning bolts will continue to fall as long as the storm remains.

Damage: High Damage (Energy). Recharge: Long. Effects; Create Storm: Ranged, High Damage (Energy), Foe -Endurance.

Edited by Pbuckley818

I guess I will have to put my spin on this AT concept in a thread since everyone is doing it.

Regarding the Melee/Support/Defense idea, I don't think is feasible.  That is, I don't think you can shift up the unlock for the ancillary powersets.  

Regarding the Melee/(support/defense) idea, I feel this is the most feasible option.  My favorite version of this idea is another poster's version of the sets with a nomenclature of Efflux (like Dominator's sets being dubbed Assault) that just exchanged some support powers for armor powers.  That would essentially be the trade-off the set needs since the bulk of a support set's utility and effectiveness comes from its entire set but if you take away some of its kit for armor, you're already decreasing its support capabilities.

The inherent is, IMO, a bit excessive.  Consider that some melee sets have similar charge gimmicks to keep track of, so having an inherent that is similar ontop PLUS an inverse version for the secondary and you've got a busy time.

All in all, I like the suggestion but you don't have examples to paint the picture for us.  It's all in the presentation and if you want to get readers in the mindset of your idea, you have to get the outline going.

On 7/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, Leogunner said:

I guess I will have to put my spin on this AT concept in a thread since everyone is doing it.

Regarding the Melee/Support/Defense idea, I don't think is feasible.  That is, I don't think you can shift up the unlock for the ancillary powersets.  

Regarding the Melee/(support/defense) idea, I feel this is the most feasible option.  My favorite version of this idea is another poster's version of the sets with a nomenclature of Efflux (like Dominator's sets being dubbed Assault) that just exchanged some support powers for armor powers.  That would essentially be the trade-off the set needs since the bulk of a support set's utility and effectiveness comes from its entire set but if you take away some of its kit for armor, you're already decreasing its support capabilities.

The inherent is, IMO, a bit excessive.  Consider that some melee sets have similar charge gimmicks to keep track of, so having an inherent that is similar ontop PLUS an inverse version for the secondary and you've got a busy time.

All in all, I like the suggestion but you don't have examples to paint the picture for us.  It's all in the presentation and if you want to get readers in the mindset of your idea, you have to get the outline going.

I am going to go for the Melee/(Support/Defense) Idea.

I have some idea's on to adapt the sets for the architype, that aren't just replacing or adding armor skills on top of the existing kit. That being said many Support Power Sets already have a handful of abilities that would be useless for the Exemplar. For instance what does a Melee need with so much knockback? Powers like Gale and Repulsion Field have some utility on a Ranged character as a self/backline defense utility. On a melee class however, yeah no, they could at least be swapped out for knockdown which in and of itself be a increase to the classes survivability. On top of this Defenders actually do have some pretty good survivability tools already, it's just that much of their vulnerability comes from not being able to use those abilities on themselves. So turning many of their abilities into PBAoE's would be much appreciated. That being said we need to be carefull about what abilties we tweak to allow the Exemplar to use on themselves, as we don't want the class to become a flat buff over a Defender.

I am currently working on a list of 5-6 variant support sets. Including

1. Kinetics (Obviously)

2. Storm Summoning (A personal favorite, even if not the best toolkit out there)

3. Empathy (Everyone seems to want to see this one.)

4. Cold Domination OR Force Field (Based on Feedback)

5. A New Powerset (Mostly ripping powers from the Shield, and Arachnos Training Power Sets, as well as others.)

6. Maybe one or two more Powersets based on feedback.

Finally for a Defense of the Passive. Technically speaking the primary bit you will want to focus on is the Glory Mechanic, with Honor being more of a fringe benefit. Honor is mostly passive and something you probably aren't going to have to pay much if any attention to. You can't really control It all that much, and honestly I might just remove it outright, if not just make it a pure passive like critical hit. (I did like your idea about a Critical Hit that only affects secondary effects, I plan on responding to you thread once I have picked it apart a bit more.)

Whereas Glory is primarily a mechanic designed to make Exemplar gameplay more fast paced and challenging to compensate for the many advantages it will enjoy over the other Support Archetypes. One way of doing this is to regulate it's support power potency and or use rate via a class mechanic, both of which Glory does. It may be a bit much for some, but maybe that will just increase the usage of some of the older less exciting melee powers that don't see as much use nowadays.