Dispatches from the Consular Legate

Heraclea

Heraclea Furia, consular legate to Paragon City, salutes the Consul of New Colchis, Julia Calusarides.

I am writing to update you on the Caelia -- or as she prefers, 'Yamnaya' -- situation.  Her religious eccentricities are the least of our problems.  If she prefers to call Faunus 'Pauson', or make up novel deities like 'Donavis, Queen of the Freshwater Nymphs' and offer them sacrifices of horse milk and melted butter, these things are indifferent to me.

It is her closeness to the Vanguard that causes concern.  As I have observed before, the Vanguard is a faction of villains that operate as a paramilitary outfit whose nominal purpose is to combat the Rikti, 'alien invaders' operating out of a crashed ship.  They also offer bounties to those who are willing to slay these Rikti.  Their methods are underhanded and disreputable; they employ sorcerers who curse their foes with exhaustion. The organization attracts fanatics, it seems.  They spend almost as much time fighting breakaway factions as they do fighting these Rikti.  The Rikti, by contrast, seem to be an honorable warrior culture with which some accommodation could be made.

Yamnaya has been instrumental in bringing one of these Vanguard operatives into the base, where she can eavesdrop on the proceedings of the local assembly.  The nominal purpose of this person is to serve as a 'trainer'; apparently all of the other candidates for the position are male.  This too is obviously unacceptable, but the Vanguard presence is unnecessary when those who require training can simply apply to Miss Liberty, Swan, or other acceptable choices.

Their influence has also affected her fighting methods, which are my gravest concern.  We knew of course that she was a spy.  Her method is not to defeat enemies openky, but to defeat only those enemies designated specifically as targets.  But her tactic now includes appearing in the midst of enemies to exhaust them and render them helpless.  Such methods are contrary to the mos maiorum (customs of the ancestors) and seem inherently disreputable.

The recruit Catrina Calaveras seems to be of one mind with me about this, despite her own religious eccentricities and fondness for brujeria. There is no dishonor in her vendetta against the Skulls.  The other spy, Grandma Gnosis, at least does not use Yamnaya's tactics, even if her own are not much more honorable.  Catrina is a positive influence on her; they too share a fondness for established novelties in religion.

Given on the sixth day before the Kalends of August, at Paragon City.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

Cael. Iamnæa Iuliam ter consulem sal. --

Sicarias Vindictæ aggrediebar.  In his bellum non gerendum, quia per pugnellis vincuntur.  Per victoriellis multis, multas mortes parvas patientur, usque ad iræ lapsum.

(Yamnaya to Julia, thrice consul - I have encountered Knives of Vengeance.  I don't think open war against them is a good idea, because they can be defeated by smaller scale battles.  By many small victories, they suffer many little deaths, until their anger is spent,)

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

Heraclea Furia, legata cos. Paragonensis, Iuliam Calusaridem cos. salutat:

Cisternam conditam mandavi in castro nostro Paragonense.  Haec in copias aquae ingenio subornatur.  Urbs subterranea Oranbega multas aquae copias continet.  Haec autem portas habet ad translationem uno loco ad alterum.   Unam ex his praecepi, ut aqua ex Oranbega ad castrum nostrum transfertur.  Hoc modo aquas nostras in obsidione haud abscinduntur.  

Pro cibo in exigientiis canes habemus. Urbs Paragonensis in dominione Coreanorum ceteris annis fuit; in hoc tempore ars preparandi ad cibum valde nota est.

Datum die ante duodevigesimae Kalendas Septembri in urbe Paragonensi.

Heraclea Furia, consular legate in Paragon City, salutes the consul Julia Calusarides.

I have ordered the construction of a cistern in our base in Paragon City.  An interesting trick is used to supply it with water.  The underground city Oranbega is well supplied with water.  It also is full of portals that go from one place to another. I have taken command of one of those, and now it is devoted to the purpose of moving water into our base.  By this method, our water can hardly be cut off in case of siege.

For emergency rations we have dogs.

Given at Paragon City on the eighteenthnday before the Kaends of September.

Edited by Heraclea

Η Iούλια Καλουσαρίδη στέλνει χαιρετισμούς στην Ηράκλεια, τον αγαπημένο μας δεσμό με την πόλη Παράγών.

Η
Πενθεσίλεια συνοδεύει αυτό το σημείωμα και μπορείτε να το λάβετε ως επίσημη εισαγωγή.  Είναι λίγο πολύ πρόθυμος για μάχη. Ωστόσο, θα βρείτε την σταθερά παραδοσιακή της προσέγγιση, χωρίς προσκόλληση στη λατρεία των νεκρών. Ελπίζω ότι θα είναι σε θέση να εξισορροπήσει κάπως την επιρροή της Κατρίνα και της Πoμβα-γιρά.

Δεδομένης στη Νέα Κολχίδα για την 19η ημέρα του Αυγούστου.

Julia Kalousarides sends greetings to Heraclea, our well beloved emissary to the city of Paragon.

Penthesilea accompanies this note and this can serve as her formal introduction.

She's quite eager for battle. However, you will find her consistently traditional in her approach, with no allegiance to the cult of the dead.  I hope that she will be able to balance the influence of Katrina and Pomba-gira in these matters.

Given in New Colchis for the 19th day of August.

• 2 weeks later

Copias imaginum novarum recepi, ab artificibus Urbis Paragonensis.   Castrum nostrum exornavi ut gloria nostra pateat.

Cynthiam 'Plaster Caster' autem cooptavimus.  Ad centurione ballisticarum commendo.  Ea indagatrice perita est, furtive oppugnans, sed rem confecit.  Sed pugnante pro more maiorum sequitur; toxotes et ingeniatrix est.  In ea fido.  De religione opinionem Caeliae Iamnaeae sequitur, sed puto haec pro fistulamento.  "Puella Iacobi Bondi" fieri vult; nescio quodnunc significet.

Datum a. kal. Septembris, in urbe Paragonensi.

Heraclea Furia, consular legate to Paragon City, sends greetings to Julia Calusarides, consul. 

I've gotten a shipment of new statues from the artists in Paragon City.  I've decorated our fort with them, so that our glory should be yet more manifest.

We've also recruited Cynthia 'Plaster Caster'.  I recommend her to the century of artillery.  She is a skilled spy, fighting from stealth, but she gets the job done.  Still, in her fighting, she follows ancestral customs; she is an archer and engineer.  I trust her.  She follows Caelia Yamnaya in her religious views, but I suspect that's mostly for the weed.  She wants to become a 'James Bond girl'; I have no idea what that means. 

Given on the kalends of September in Paragon City. 

• 3 weeks later

Tres sunt sacra: sacri sunt ludi puellis confecti sine visu genetricium maiorumve;  sacrum est carmen os ad os transmissum; sacra sunt colloquia amatorum. N.P.

Yamnaya greets Julia, thrice consul. 

There are three things that are sacred: the games made by children out of sight of their parents or elders are sacred; the song handed down mouth to mouth is sacred, the small talk of lovers is sacred.  End of report. 

Edited by Heraclea

Scio quod Vanguardia sibi tela Rictorum approprinquat.  De pragmate in Rictis Vanguardiaque consilium peto.  Nunc modo, quaesita Vanguardiarum et receptus præmiarum Vanguardiæ Amazonibus licita sunt.  Licita autem est pugna contra Rictis, quia hostiles rei publicæ, pro tutelam sui.  Sed quaesita supernumeraria praeter primum dehortor, etiamsi hoc modo corruptio Vanguardiæ nota est nobiscum.  An licet adiuvare quopiam cum Vanguardiâ?  Indagatrix Cælia 'Maiden Heaven' nuntiam in Rictis reliquiis misi, ut pacem petere fore possimus.  Hæc sperenda maxime.  

Datum  a.d. ter. dec. kal. Octobris, in urbe Paragonense.

Heraclea Furia, consular legate to Paragon City, greets Julia Calusarides, consul:

I know that Vanguard has been stockpiling Rikti weapons.  I am writing to ask for advice concerning our policy towards the Rikti and Vanguard.  For the moment, performing tasks for the Vanguard and getting Vanguard merits are allowed for Amazons.  Fighting against the Rikti is also allowed, since they remain enemies of the local government, and for self defense.  But I have discouraged performance of tasks for Vanguard beyond the bare minimum, even though this is how we came to learn of the Vanguard's corrupt nature ourself.  Should any cooperation with Vanguard be allowed?  I have also sent secret agent Celia, a/k/a 'Maiden Heaven', as an emissary to the Rikti remnants to see if any proposal for peace is possible.  This is what I am hoping for. 

Given on the thirteenth day before the Kalends of October, in Paragon City. 

Edited by Heraclea

• 3 weeks later

Iulia Calusarides cos. Heracleam legatam nostram salutat:

Hæc censuit Comitia de Vanguardia Rictisque:

Licet omni Amazoni præmias Vanguardiæ merere.  Licet autem omni Amazoni incursiones agere in aeronave Rictorum, præda causa.  Licet autem omni Amazoni incursionem Dominæ Ravæ agere ad captivas liberandas, quia milites et sorores sociae sunt.  Præter has omnis collaboratio cum Vanguardiis in conscientia cuiusque manet.  Pax cum re publica Paragonensi conservanda est; propterea bellum in sociis suis nec gerendum nec petendum. 

Haec scriptum est; haec facienda sit.

Datum ante diem octavum Idus Octobris, in Nova Colchidi.

Julia Calusarides, consul, salutes Heraclea our legate:

This is the judgment of the Assembly about the Vanguard and Rikti:

All Amazons are allowed to earn Vanguard merits.  All Amazons are also allowed to raid the Rikti flying ship, for the sake of booty,  All Amazons are also allowed to participate in Lady Gray's raid to free the captive women, because they are allies, soldiers, and sisters.  Beyond this all collaboration with the Vanguard remains in everyone's individual conscience.  Peace with the Paragon republic must be preserved; accordingly, war against their allies must neither be waged nor sought. 

So it is written; so let it be done.

Given on the eighth day before the Ides of October, in New Colchis. 

Edited by Heraclea
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Heraclea deiecta fuit legente litteram tuam novissimam.  Sed cito rediit; sermo eius novissima de Doctore Delila tractat, et "terras illius me captandas."  Nil sollicitus mihi.  N.P.

Celia Yamnaya greets Julia, thrice consul --

Heraclea was downcast when she read your most recent letter.  But she bounced back quickly; her more recent talk is all about Doc Delilah and about "her lands will be mine for the taking."  I'm not worried. End of report. 

Edited by Heraclea
  • Like 1

• 4 months later

De rota cotidiana tracto.  Maximae duriores pugnant usque ad catalytici inveniendum.  Tunc minores incursionem aut rogant aut incipiunt.  Post omnis incursio praedam raram in castra ponunt et receptas inventas faciunt si adsit praedam necessariam.   Post hac, Amazones quae ad maximo gradu recentiores procedebant in incursionibus largioribus adiungunt.

I discuss the daily duty roster.  Those of maximum level fight until they find a catalyst.  Then those of lower level either seek a task force or start one.  After every task force, rare salvage is stored at the camp, and recipes that were obtained get crafted if the salvage is present.  After that, the Amazons who have newly reached maximum level go join larger raids.

• 1 month later

Sic ait Heraclea: "'Nictus' mi Latine videtur, sed significat sane obsessus a pilumine."

Heraclea says, "'Nictus' sounds like Latin, but what it apparently means is 'possessed by a dust bunny'."

Anima Sola nobis refertur a constabulario urbano.  Mi videtur, apparuit repente in urbis vias, Latine loquens; idcirco constabularii putabant eam esse nostra.  Haud vero; profuga est ab ira dei nazareni, cordis negotii causa.  Latinitas eius prisca et pristina.  Nomen eius Cælestina; vincta fuit in inferis nazarenorum duo mille annos.  Certe refugium dedi.  Pro multa meruit deus nazarenorum colaphum in faucibus, sique mihi datur dare, dabo. 

Anima Sola was referred to us by the city police.  Apparently she appeared suddenly on the city streets, speaking Latin; on that account the police thought she was one of ours.  Not true; she is a refugee from the anger of the Nazarene god, on account of some affair of the heart.  Her Latin is quite old and pure.  Her name is Celestine; she was a prisoner in some Nazarene hell for two thousand years.  Of course I took her in.  The Nazarene god has done much to deserve a punch in the chops; and if it is given to me to give him one I will give it.  

Edited by Heraclea

• 2 weeks later

"Vincite cunctas milites in castello", sic ait.  At ubi tamen sunt milites?

"Defeat all soldiers in base," it says.  So where are the soldiers? 

• 2 weeks later

Rogavisti ut te moneam de signis superbitatis in Heraclea.  Ecce imago novissima:

Caelia Yamnaya greets Julia, thrice-consul:

You asked me to warn you about any signs of excessive pride in Heraclea.  Get a load of the most recent statue:

Spoiler

screenshot_200524-12-50-38.thumb.jpg.606701aa0dfd57148f9012a8b890fe57.jpg

Edited by Heraclea

• 3 months later

Socium novum habemus, Capites Coronatas nomine.  Censio eius est ut regnant optimates, natu nobiliores et hæreditate reginæ.  Deas et nuntiarias dearum autem admittunt; hæc pro natu nobili sufficiant.  Imperatrix Carlotta legata est nobiscum; res eius est restauratio regni Habsburgorum in America septentrionali, res optabilior quam quod nunc exstat. 

Heraclea Furia, consular legate to Paragon City, greets Julia Calusarides, consul:

We have a new group of allies called the Crowned Heads.  Their agenda is that the best people should rule, the noble born and hereditary monarchs.  Deities and their emissaries are also admitted; that's considered good enough to pass.  Empress Carlota is our contact; her deal is that she wants to restore Habsburg rule in North America.  At this stage that has to be an improvement.