Small but important change: pbaoe toggle debuffs --> ranged toggle debuffs

chips

I love playing support classes. While some of them are nice to play, others have small but crucial inconsistencies. For example toggled pbaoe debuffs. Unlike buff auras (pbaoe buffs) you want to stand with them in the crowed, to catch them all. Every single support class is a ranged class (MM, corr, def) which is weaker to aoe damage and crowed control and has therefor (with some exceptions) range powers. Abilities like entangling aura (nature affinity), venomous gas (poisn), chocking cloud (radiation emission), hurricane (storm summoning) and time's juncture (time manipulation), are counterintuitive (maybe is hurricane an exception, because you can us it like a repell effect). I find myself often not using them because you get too much damage while you're staying in a foe group or you get stuned, disorientated, etc. and end with reactivating the ability again and again. Maybe it's different after getting set enhancements. But during the leveling process it feels not very natural to the playstyle. And there are enough options. Ranged pbaoe toggles, ground target toggles or a friendly toggles (on a team mate) would fit much better in my opinion.

What do you think?

No. The sets that have PBAoE debuffs are balanced around that fact. They are support sets that are designed to move into melee range to apply thier debuffs.

For example consider Time's Juncture. Yes, you have to move into melee range but Time gives you the tools to survive doing that, Farsight buffs your Defense, Time's Juncture debuffs enemies To Hit and Damage and Temporal Mending allows you to heal any damage you do take.

Defender Smash!

Indeed. And Nature gives you Spore Cloud to debuff enemy To-Hit and Damage, and two of your team buffs are also PBAoE, so you want to be in where all your teammates are--the melee.

Besides, Entangling Aura is meant more as a way of protecting you from enemies that break away from the melee and come after the squishies, I think. Though if you use it on a Controller it's amazing for jumping into the melee with.

On a Defender you may want to pair it with something that gives additional mitigation, like Dark Blast, or Dual Pistols.