Nemesis-Lite System

Steampunkette

Create a series of missions which involve villains engaging in criminal activity.

Each of those missions has a Boss-Ambush before it's over.

The Boss Ambush contains a random "Generic Hero" or perhaps "Shining Stars" member.

When you complete the mission, you get a badge for defeating THAT hero.

Create a system where the Badge ID can be checked by the Mapserver in future maps.

Use the Badge ID to override the "Random Boss" spawn in future missions in the storyarcs, meaning the same hero boss comes after you each time.

Expand the system to heroes and a generic villain (Excluding Bad Penny. No one deserves that)

So the initial mission would be one of those solo-only operations, right?  Just so a player couldn't inadvertently get multiple nemeses?
But then the question of player choice comes up . . . should we get to /choose/ who our nemesis is?  Or at the very least, maybe choose to permanently defeat them, if we find them particularly objectionable?  If so, then what happens when we choose our second nemesis?

Also, can we find another word other than "nemesis" for this concept?  The Nemesis faction has the potential of causing some confusion in this context, I think.  Probably won't bother most people, but I think it might still be a good idea to brainstorm some other potential titles for this repeat challenger.

7 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

So the initial mission would be one of those solo-only operations, right?  Just so a player couldn't inadvertently get multiple nemeses?
But then the question of player choice comes up . . . should we get to /choose/ who our nemesis is?  Or at the very least, maybe choose to permanently defeat them, if we find them particularly objectionable?  If so, then what happens when we choose our second nemesis?

Also, can we find another word other than "nemesis" for this concept?  The Nemesis faction has the potential of causing some confusion in this context, I think.  Probably won't bother most people, but I think it might still be a good idea to brainstorm some other potential titles for this repeat challenger.

The suggestion would be a kludge to create in the first place. And you could simply make the badges mutually exclusive. Get one and you're stuck with it, forever.

With this suggestion there would be no way to get rid of or choose your nemesis. You'd be stuck with them, forever. But only within the context of the storyarcs that are designed for it.

Edited by Steampunkette

23 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Well, giving it a little thought . . . could multiple badges be checked for conditions?  For example; if you have both the Selected Bad Penny AND the Defeated Bad Penny Badge, would that be enough for the game to recognize that Bad Penny is no longer a valid opponent to use as your nemesis?

It would mean every map in the arc would have to ask "If X, goto Y, if Y=Yes go to Z, If Y=No, go to X1" for -every- member of the generic villain list. That would probably be a fairly large resource cost increase.

Hmm, the language isn't robust enough to be a little more dynamic?  I admit, I suck at my syntax and constantly need reference materials while coding, and regularly put the wrong types of logic in to my programs.  So I know some things have a /helluva/ time with "figuring stuff out" with if-thens up the whazoo . . . but I've also had some code which I know doesn't require its hand held quite so much.

. . . maybe I should just go ahead and download the source myself one of these days, eh?  Other than discord, where does one go to actually do that?