Has Anyone Tried a Grav/Rad Dominator?

Mercurias

In a fit of insomnia-inspired creativity, I slapped together a rough Gravity/Radiation/Primal Dominator build in Mids that looks like it holds the elements of a fun character. Has anybody tried this combo?

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of Gravity Manipulation from my Grav/Time Controller, but the /Radiation Assault part is new to me. On paper, at least, this looks like it would work well. Slot a KB-to-KD IO into Wormhole, yoink a group of enemies with said Wormhole, pop Crushing Field to Immobilize them, hit Fusion, and go off the chain with ultraviolent and slow-animating attacks in melee range.

I have one of these. It's fun, but I wouldn't call it the most powerful combo, and Gravity kinda carries it.

The upshot of this combo is, like many Gravity/ combos, it's completely and totally an option of if you want to sit back and chuck random objects and blasts from range, or run in and go to town in melee. Gravity gives you access to some nice, damaging single target powers so you don't have to go into melee if you don't want to, unless you *absolutely* need to do some AoE damage... Which Wormhole helps with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

I've got a KB->KD IO in my Grav/Time's Wormhole. It does help. Normally the knockback can potentially scatter them after you warp them in, but with KB->KD, you pull them over and then slam them all  directly into the ground. As a side effect, I've noticed that the lack of scatter leads to them tending to end up in an orderly line.

Well what I do know is the very first dominator I made way back when villains came out (was my first villain) was a grav/energy dom. And I defended it even though everyone complained not just about dominators back then, but that grav and energy were both weak. But I have to say that as time went on, I can plainly see the complaints. Energy is not the most useful secondary for a dominator over all. But I guess not horrible, but grav IMO is one of the weakest control sets. Once you start playing with fire, plant, earth etc. you get a real sense of how much grav is really lacking. 

If the kbtokd IOs work I guess that is a good thing. However one issue I have with those is that it means still picking between in many cases slotting that effect and something that would be much nicer to have. In that powers case it means that you likely would miss out on a proc for a purple "stun" set and a corresponding 6 slot IO bonus. Or have to give up recharge speed in the power or something like that if you still slotted the proc. But it seems like I recall reading someone say that the knockback protection afforded by immobilizing powers like stone cages  do not effect the knockback of the power. Meaning if you immbl them first then use wormhole they will still scatter all over. IMO that is a weakness cause it would prevent from having to use that slot for something as ultimately dumb as just preventing the knockback.