Pool Party Challenge builds: what AT would you recommend?

Gulbasaur

Following my love for the epic archetypes and their hybrid playstyle, I want to try my hand at a ridiculous mess and roll a pool party character. Minimal use of primary and secondary, maximal use of pools and temporary powers. 

I want to try a self-built hybrid with the following criteria:

• Melee attacks (will build up from Fighting, probably)
  • Ranged attacks (harder to get from pools)
  • Some sort of survival powers (Defence: not a problem. Resistance: much harder)
  • Levelling-friendly. Happy to use IOs but won't be building up for them specifically. 
  • SOME use of primary and secondary powers is okay. I'm not totally against it. I'd probably pick up two or three ranged attacks. 

What AT would you recommend starting with?

Part of me wants to say corruptor, maybe kinetics? They favour staying in melee or mid range and kinetics has a number of ways to increase your damage and lower that of your enemies. The downsides are the mediocre damage modifiers without Scourge.

Dominators have never appealed to me as any AT that relies that heavily on abusing recharge (see also: peacebringers) always feels wrong to me, but their damage modifiers are surprisingly high. Maybe controller if I picked up some single-target mezzes for containment? 

The Arachnos sets actually look like an easy ride as they have a lot of passives available and everyone loves extra endurance. The trouble is that there is an expectation that you'll run leadership all the time, which I'm not adverse to really, but if I'm going to go for a pool party character, using an epic archetype feels like cheating. 

I could roll a sentinel and pick up some melee attacks, I guess... but there's something about them that puts me off. They feel very middle of the road. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 minutes ago, Demon Shell said:

PB.

Oh, no "abusing recharge"?

Fortunata. You can grab the hold and the nuke, then a few defense powers and no one will even know the difference if you fill everything else out with pool powers. If you're willing to use Epics all the better.

My last real mains have been a peacebringer and a fortunata..  that's the hole I'm trying to fill!

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

So less of a challenge build and more of a "square peg into round hole" type of thing.

Probably Mastermind. While your pets are in defensive mode they damage split with you. Grab a set with range attacks and you can fill in the melee with the Fighting pool.

As far as secondary, you'll probably want a support set that doesn't require a lot of maintenance to keep you pets protected, so something like Force, Time, Dark, Rad if you don't mind setting up debuffs before you jump in.

Edit: There's also Claw/ Stalker.

Edited by Demon Shell