January 4th patch triggered Antivirus

EmperorSteele

So I downloaded the latest patch and went to play (definitely want to check out the Illusion changes, omigod!), but then my Antivirus (AVG) did something I've never seen before. It stopped the program (beta.exe) from loading, and popped-up a notification that it was performing a "safety check". This took about 15 seconds, where upon it cleared shut the program down, and automatically restarted it.

So while it was ultimately green-lit, I'm not sure what triggered the AV to be all like "hol' up". I don't know if the antivirus now responds to programs being updated, or if some new line of code in the Beta.exe tripped up it's heuristics scan, or what. In either case, I thought that was something worth reporting. Off to test!

AVG/avast are two of the most common unreliably bad AVS and homecoming is also often the victim of trolls that report our .exes as virus. Its been awhile since I used AVG but check if it has an option to opt out of virus cloud connection network or whatever the term is they use for that program. Basically it takes files and programs people of the avg community flag as not safe and automatically blocks them. That's one way so many people are getting trolled here on homecoming.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Noyjitat said:

AVG/avast are two of the most common unreliably bad AVS

it's a shame, 'cause Avast USED TO be the best alternative to the horrible Norton and McCaffee AVs. It was once reliable, low resource, and FREE. Now it's a system hog that's constantly spamming you with popups about their half a million premium services because they're free AV is now a bare bones joke.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:26 AM, THEDarkTyger said:

it's a shame, 'cause Avast USED TO be the best alternative to the horrible Norton and McCaffee AVs. It was once reliable, low resource, and FREE. Now it's a system hog that's constantly spamming you with popups about their half a million premium services because they're free AV is now a bare bones joke.

Norton has actually greatly improved over the years but I settled with kaspersky before trying it again. It has yet to let me down and has less false freakouts over things like mods and unlicensed programs.

In either case the install instructions for coh need to include instructions on how to whitelist all the exes for all the less tech savi people. I think we have less people playing simply because of all the panic and fear trolls spread about viruses on facebook. Not to mention the other server groups being a part of that problem...

Edited by Noyjitat