Idea: A “Praetorian Clockwork” Style Blast Set

Safehouse

Tonight I was doing some missions that involve fighting a boatload of praetorian clockworks, and I couldn’t help but notice how great some of the power animations looked. Between the rapid fire blasts, the laser beams that vanish in thin puffs of flame, and electrical attacks, watching it I felt like I was really looking at a set of powers that aesthetically better matches my concepts for my main (nrg/nrg blaster).

I feel like it would be really neat to have a “plasma blast” or “ionized blast” set, in which characters mix shots of hypercharged overheated laser beams from their fingertips with bolts of electricity. I feel like it could be a good mixed set that can provide a combo of energy, fire, and/or smashing damage. It might be cool to even have varying effects depending on the power used, where some powers have a chance to stun, while others have a DoT effect.

Definitely these thoughts just sprang to mind so it’s undeveloped ideas, but what do folks think? Would anyone else be interested in a mixed blast set like this?

Edited by Safehouse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

• 3 weeks later

Looking at some of the def files, it looks like something like that might have been something the original COH devs were working on. I saw a few commented-out references to a "hyper-advanced clockwork" AT in the files. There doesn't seem to be any data for it, though, so it was probably intended for a much farther future.

As freaking amazing as this would be, the Praetorian Clockwork powers are unique to those Praetorian Clockwork models (not just the costume pieces, but the full model) and when player models use them, it doesn't work. So to make it work the dev's would have to do entirely new animations which I'm not sure they have the time for - I don't want to say its completely unthinkable, as I don't know the full extent of who's working on the game or what they're prioritising, as they're all volunteers I'm not so sure, but I would LOVE a power armour style set in this game, would basically make Champions Online completely pointless if we managed something like that!

While I don't want to doubt the dev's, I don't want to ask to much either. So I'll just sit back and see what we get, I'm especially excited to see the other origin pool powers hit the scene 🙂