What is your first City of Heroes memory.

I was at a friends house, I had heard of the game but it hadnt grabbed my attention. I forget what my game de jure was.

My friend was playing and someone walked by in a bubble, the graphics were awesome and I had to check out the game.

Here I am playing again after 7 years of blue balls.

When I landed in outbreak and things were working and moving and I go PLAY AGAIN it was almost as good as breaking 7 years of celibacy :) Not that I know what that would be like.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I was at a friends house, I had heard of the game but it hadnt grabbed my attention. I forget what my game de jure was.

My friend was playing and someone walked by in a bubble, the graphics were awesome and I had to check out the game.

Here I am playing again after 7 years of blue balls.

When I landed in outbreak and things were working and moving and I go PLAY AGAIN it was almost as good as breaking 7 years of celibacy :) Not that I know what that would be like.

Welcome home.

I had a friend who shared my account with me since he couldn't afford a computer of his own back in Issue 1. Well, while he was in the Hollows he ran into someone who became a good buddy of my friend. They constantly teamed up while playing. Well, at one point they were in Kings Row, I think, and they saw a group of Paramilitary goons. Not the council either, these guys had fedoras. One of them was called a Sapper too. Plus they had set up a turret. And the enemy group name said Malta. Neither of them, nor I, had ever seen or heard of Malta at the time. And these goons were level 50. My friend and his buddy were hiding behind a fence while looking them over. For some reason they decided to try attacking using hit and run tactics. The plan was to jump over the fence, attack, then jump back over the fence before the Malta goons could retaliate. Well, my friend jumped over the fence as planned on the count of three, and his buddy ran for the hills at the same time. My friend went down instantly to turret fire.

Yup, it was a hit-and-run assault.

Mine was "Oh cool, that guy made his costume to look like Spawns"........ and then the Eidolon killed me.

I dont know why, it just popped back into my head today.

I got invited to a "Atlas Teleport Tour" by some Blaster, he went to flight ceiling and dropped me lolz.

That and I had no idea how to slow my Bubble troller, and it took a rl friend to tell me where I was going wrong.

One thing that always stuck in my mind was an encounter I had while playing a lowbie alt on Atlas Park server, I think. I decided on a whim to accept a blind invite, something I almost never did after being burned too many times. Anyway, the group was competent, at least. And I was having fun. Then someone on the team sent me a private message which said "Hey, you're new. So Here's some advise from one who learned the hard way. If you ever see a scrapper named Madam Enigma, try getting her to join your team. She's rude as hell, and will probably say no. But if she does join, she will manage to pull the team's fat out of the fryer."

At which point I remembered where I saw that person's name before. A few days previous while playing Madam Enigma I joined a team running missions against the Outcasts. And the team leader for some reason had the difficulty set to max, meaning with the 8 person team there were a lot of high level (compared to the party) enemies. At the time Madam Enigma had been the highest level person on the team, and everything was conning purple to me. Wall to wall outcasts too. I kept having to hand out Awaken inspirations to the team cause I'd be the only one not killed every fight. And let me tell you, I laid into the team leader something fierce for setting the mission difficulty that high at level 16 when the only support types on the team was a Rad/Rad 'healer' who only really had their aoe heal, their rez (I think), and pool power heals.

The guy who was telling my alt to try recruiting Madam Enigma because she'll save the team... He was that 'rad/rad healer'. He'd rerolled his character while keeping the name in order to make an effective Rad/Rad defender after my chewing him out.

Getting that email welcoming me to the closed beta, logging on, fighting my way through the Outbreak, and staring up at the Atlas statue. It was like a whole new world for me. It was my first MMO since I had quit EverCrack a few years before, and it fueled an addiction that until CoH came back by way of our current GMs/hosts, I had only recently been able to break.

Though there are so so many memories made from playing this game, the first big one came when my friend and I finished our early bank mission and received our flying packs. We both played characters that weren't intended to fly but we decided to try them on. We both first joked at how silly they looked. Wide with these goofy prongs sticking out of them. But...

Flying was so insanely fun! We never had this before in any MMO we had played together previously. We just went flying all over the place. All around King's Row, then into Atlas Park. We flew all over it. Found the badges on the top of city hall and the Atlas globe together. Flew around the tallest skyscrapers. Just enjoyed the sights of everything. Before we knew it we spent the entire time allowed with the packs and they ran out.

It was a moment I'll never forget and how wonderful it was to make my first hero who took the power of flight on her own to just be able to fly as much as I wanted as I wanted. No experience in an MMO has ever come as close to instilling the spirit of wonder I felt in me at that time. Likely no MMO ever will again. You only learn to fly for the first time... once.

A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Sometimes in life it's the only weapon we have.” -- Roger Rabbit, toon philosopher

Late nights just standing in Atlas and chatting about the strangest of things. civil political debates, discussions about what cartoons we grew up watching, who would win in a fight between X villain and Mister T, you name it we'd chat about it. Feeling bored, not wanting to play the game, not wanting to do anything else, so just flying in figure eights through the arms of a statue for a couple hours. Fighting my first Archvillain, stealthing my way to Icons in Steel Canyon at level 5 because I just had to change my costume's appearance Right Now, these are things I look back on fondly. I even missed the (surprisingly friendly) flame wars on the forums. Speaking of which, the forums were surprisingly friendly. You could be in a heated flame war with someone in one thread, but in another thread the two of you are chatting like best of friends.

I was just looking for a game to use for background references for a comicbook I was drawing and writing.  I did a search for new contemporary games and City of Heroes Beta fell into my lap four days before launch.  I signed up.  Made a scrapper and that comicbook was never made.

No regrets.

Face front, true believers!

When I first started playing in '04 a friend and I decided to head to Steel Canyon a bit before we were ready (didn't even have travel powers yet IIRC).  We managed to get maybe halfway down the middle street toward the central statue/plaza staying in the middle of the street to avoid aggro.  We wound up fighting a group of guys on the sidewalk though and started getting our butts kicked.  The boss of the group was flying overhead with us in the middle of the street.  Soon enough it was just we two versus him in a retreating street battle, with us always at the edge of defeat but unable to rack up enough damage on him to take him down.  We would tag-team with trying to rest while the other tried to keep him occupied.  I can't even remember if we beat him or not but the fight must have lasted 5 minutes and just felt SO EPIC, and so much like it was ripped from the pages of a comic book.  No big influence reward, or special enhancement to slot - just some punks on the street in an area where WE shouldn't really have been.  I think that as much as anything could be what REALLY hooked me on the game.

When I first started playing in '04 a friend and I decided to head to Steel Canyon a bit before we were ready (didn't even have travel powers yet IIRC).  We managed to get maybe halfway down the middle street toward the central statue/plaza staying in the middle of the street to avoid aggro.  We wound up fighting a group of guys on the sidewalk though and started getting our butts kicked.  The boss of the group was flying overhead with us in the middle of the street.  Soon enough it was just we two versus him in a retreating street battle, with us always at the edge of defeat but unable to rack up enough damage on him to take him down.  We would tag-team with trying to rest while the other tried to keep him occupied.  I can't even remember if we beat him or not but the fight must have lasted 5 minutes and just felt SO EPIC, and so much like it was ripped from the pages of a comic book.  No big influence reward, or special enhancement to slot - just some punks on the street in an area where WE shouldn't really have been.  I think that as much as anything could be what REALLY hooked me on the game.

Man, your post really put a smile on my face!

:p

Reminds me of the first time I saw Clockwork Paladin in Kings Row. I was playing a brand new TA/A defender since those sets had just hit live. I was level 8, I think. And I saw this HUGE clockwork. I'm going "Wow, he's huge..." My friend was sitting next to me and going "Yeah, what the hell that?!" So I targeted it to get the name. And we're both going "Giant MONSTER?!" At which point we both watched in horror as my character drew an arrow, pulled back the bowstring, and launched it at Clockwork Paladin. In my shock I'd reflexively hit Numpad 1, and launched an attack. My friend was yelling "RUN!" I was yelling "I'M TRYING!" And Clockwork Paladin was easily keeping up with me and attacking. Realizing I couldn't get away, I said "Screw this!" Turned my character around, and started unloading everything I had as fast as I could. Surprisingly, I managed to get the Giant Monster's health down by 1/3 before I died... And I did it all by my self with a Trick Arrow defender days after they were launched.