Electrical Melee Tank

Palad1n

I rolled a shield/electrical tank, have charged brawl, havok punch, and jacobs ladder. The detailed description for charged brawl and havok punch both state they are AOE, but so far I haven't seen these attacks hit more than 1 enemy while standing next to several.

Same issue with Jacobs Ladder, it states it is conical 7', but even when I have mobs lined up for it, the only target that gets hit is the one directly in front of me that I am targeting, while all the others directly behind that target are not taking any damage.

Is AOE in general broken?

Thanks for the clarification. I also agree, Jacobs is pretty lackluster when you see other power sets with superior AOE at the same power selection / lvl.

I wish I had more "fun" with my electric tank, though I am getting a lot tougher thanks to what the shield powers offer, just disapointed there really isn't anything decent for electric melee until 32 when you get that lightning strike AOE. 

Really wish that power set would get a work over with some minor enhancements, such as instead of a conical attack, make it a larger AOE with decent taunt attached. (14-16' would be nice, and up to 10 targets, as currently taunt only effects up to 5, which makes NO sense to me)

Thanks for the clarification. I also agree, Jacobs is pretty lackluster when you see other power sets with superior AOE at the same power selection / lvl.

I wish I had more "fun" with my electric tank, though I am getting a lot tougher thanks to what the shield powers offer, just disapointed there really isn't anything decent for electric melee until 32 when you get that lightning strike AOE. 

Really wish that power set would get a work over with some minor enhancements, such as instead of a conical attack, make it a larger AOE with decent taunt attached. (14-16' would be nice, and up to 10 targets, as currently taunt only effects up to 5, which makes NO sense to me)

And in exchange for that, you get a Corruptor-level Nuke (or near blaster level if a person is running a Scrapper), with half the base recharge. Electric Melee is one of those set's that's extremely "Back Loaded", like Psionic Assault. It's all balanced around that one epic Tier 9.

A reasonable rework would have to nerf Lightning Rod in return, which would cause riots xD

I'm curious what your frame of comparison is.

I ran an electric melee/electric shield brute when the set was released (before the secondary got a self heal and aid self was crucial). I never felt there was a problem with the melee damage as long as I kept my fury up. Are you sure you're not experiencing the feeling of low damage that's inherent to you playing a Tanker? After all, your archetype is scaled to be lower damage at the benefit of having your defenses ramped up.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I'm curious what your frame of comparison is.

I ran an electric melee/electric shield brute when the set was released (before the secondary got a self heal and aid self was crucial). I never felt there was a problem with the melee damage as long as I kept my fury up. Are you sure you're not experiencing the feeling of low damage that's inherent to you playing a Tanker? After all, your archetype is scaled to be lower damage at the benefit of having your defenses ramped up.

Good point! Yes, as a tanker, perhaps I didn't recall having such low melee dmg (it has been a handful of years or so since I last played). Maybe my question should be, what is a good AOE Tanker build, as the goal is to hit as many targets as possible which should add in that natural "taunt" which is added into every attack.

I wouldn't be as bothered with my current build if Jacobs actually had a more reasonable area it would hit. 7' and a very small arc doesn't bold well for a tankers needs. Having to be dependent on T9 ability for a once in a while ability also doesn't appeal to me as much as having better regular AOE styles to utilize.

Thoughts?