Ice/Elec Dom... anyone?

OnePatriot

Ice control on doms has a few issues:
-Lower -recharge values than controller 

-domination does not boost confuse magnitude nor proc chance of Arctic Air

-no low cooldown hard cc options like Flashfire, Wormhole or Heart of Darkness

-Flash Freeze (aoe sleep) is virtually useless in teams, even at magnitude 6

Despite that, ice control is PRETTYYYYYY which is why I mained an ice/energy domination back on live 🙂 

On the plus side electric has one of the strongest build ups of dominators-- 68% strength to all dmg types! and is 1 of 3 dom build ups that can slot a gaussian proc. Elec has really good single target damage, and it's smash/energy which is less resisted than most damage types! (https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/c9yaot/general_enemy_average_damage_resistance_numbers/)

Because electric has no survivability options like drain psyche, I would recommend pairing it with something like gravity or earth which will completely lock down enemies letting you do whatever you wish to them! 

Gravity is a fine set but works better as a Controller since it has more attacks (which are superfluous with a Dominator's secondary) and it really leverages Wormhole when it's combined with Storm or Traps. Dominators don't generally have location-based powers that benefit from having mobs placed for them, though bunching up mobs always helps with AoEs for all ATs.

Ice can work as a Dominator, especially since Domination protects you from having Arctic Air drop, but it should be paired with a secondary that interrupts incoming damage. I would suggest Dark with its -ToHit, or else the melee-oriented knockdowns from Martial or from Earth Assault. Between constant knockdowns, Ice Slick, and the mobs shooting each other due to Arctic Air, it does have decent defenses in melee. It's being shot at where you won't have much defense, I'm afraid, so you may have to pull if you're soloing. On a team, the character should be fine in any case. It's also possible that Ice Assault may stack -Recharge enough to be safe... mobs won't be falling as much, but they'll have problems attacking more than once or twice in a fight.

FYI Arctic Air is currently bugged (probably? I don't see any dev notes about it) and proccing Confusion 100% of the time instead of the normal 30%, so if you're gonna play it, keep that in mind. I assume they'll eventually fix it, if it is in fact broken. I do hope they bump the proc chance up from 30 to 60 or so tho.

I'm personally not a fan at all of Electric Asssault.

Ice/Psi on the other hand could work. 

Full disclosure, on live I used to main a Ice/Fire Dom (fairly strong at the time, before Blasters had crashless nukes a viable top damager, not so much now) and Ice/Energy (before the energy buffs, not terrible but not great).

Edited by oedipus_tex