Strange Incarnate Level Shift Glitch?

RikOz

Yesterday I was running a mission (the Hero alignment mission to arrest the rogue Longbow agent, if it matters) on my level 50+1 character (fire/fire blaster), with my Notoriety set at +1/x2.

Upon entering the mission, the mobs appeared to be conning correctly - level 52 mobs, minions conning yellow and lieutenants conning orange. At least I assume that would be correct, as I was effectively level 51, so the mobs were conning +1 (minions) and +2 (lieutenants) to me.

Upon entering another room, about halfway through the map, I was unexpectedly and very quickly killed because the entire room was packed with mobs that conned orange and red. Before rezzing myself with Rise of the Phoenix, I moused over these mobs and confirmed that they were still level 52, so their conning orange/red was clearly incorrect. It was as if my +1 level shift had abruptly vanished. I should mention that there was no elevator - this happened on the same floor where I had earlier encountered correctly-conning mobs. I say "unexpectedly" killed, because the "room" in question was one of those laboratory map rooms where you enter from below, up a ramp, and there's no way to see what's in the room until you're at the top of the ramp. Any other room type, and I could have scanned the room before I entered, but in this instance I was mowed down by a big crowd (because I was set to /x2) of +2 and +3 mobs before I could even con them.

Then, upon rezzing, all of these mobs promptly dropped to yellow/orange, and I easily cleared them out (granted, the temporary invulnerability from RotP helped with that).

When I asked about this in the Help channel, somebody told me that sometimes, Incarnate level shifts don't "kick in" immediately upon entering a mission. Okay, fair enough. But in this case, my level shift was clearly "on" when I entered the mission, and then was suddenly "off" when I entered this one room. Then it came back "on" when I rezzed.

Naturally, I'm a bit confused about just what happened here.

From what I'm aware, the Level Shift "drops" when downed (like all auto powers), but kicks back in when/shortly after rezzing.

Since you checked the conning of the enemies while you were down, it would not have taken the Level Shift into account.

• Like 1

Missions will spawn mobs that are ±1 to the mission level, so you can enter an even-level mission at, say, 40 and find level 41 mobs (yellow minions/orange lieutenants). If you have the mission set to +1, you can get orange minions and red lieutenants. Missions also generate all the mobs spawning in a room at the same level, so you're going to run into entire rooms of mobs at +1 to you, or in your case +2 from your notoriety setting, with the LTs conning one grade higher.

1 hour ago, Molubdos said:

From what I'm aware, the Level Shift "drops" when downed (like all auto powers), but kicks back in when/shortly after rezzing.

Since you checked the conning of the enemies while you were down, it would not have taken the Level Shift into account.

I have noticed this myself. When running a mission on my first incarnate who is now 50+3 I usually set DA missions to +3/2 so that everything is conning even level to me. If I die they all immediately flip to conning red and purple. The level shifts don't count when you're dead apparently.

8 hours ago, Molubdos said:

Rereading my OP, I see I wasn't clear. I did indeed see that these mobs were conning orange/red before I died. As I came up the ramp into the room and then turned toward the mobs, my mouse cursor passed over some of them and they were orange/red. My mouseover before rezzing was for the purpose of checking their actual levels.

However, it's entirely possible that I died so quickly that I was dead before the fact actually registered on my screen, and latency produced a mismatch between what I was conning and what my health bar said. If that's the case, then fair enough.

The room in question is a small-ish room, and in normal missions at default notoriety, it's not unusual for it to spawn 4-6 mobs. So at /x2, there were at least a dozen mobs in there, all using ranged attacks (Longbow), and the small size of the room meant that they all aggroed on me at the same time, so even assuming they were scaled correctly it's not outside the realm of possibility that I would have died very quickly no matter what. In the future, when running missions on this character at increased notoriety settings and I encounter this room, I'm going to launch a Bonfire up the ramp ahead of me 😄