'Follow' difference between hover/fly and sprint

Alarion

I use the following bind on all my melee characters: /bind E "unselect$$target_enemy_near$$follow" which finds the nearest enemy and automatically follows or runs into melee distance. This works perfectly with sprint or run. However recently I decided to try a flying scrapper (which seems to get more crits [which I can't figure out yet]) and with hover (or fly) active, my character always stops short of automatically moving into melee range after I press 'E' and I have to manually move forward a few extra feet. Possibly this is intended behaviour but I don't know why it would be?

2 minutes ago, Alarion said:

I use the following bind on all my melee characters: /bind E "unselect$$target_enemy_near$$follow" which finds the nearest enemy and automatically follows or runs into melee distance. This works perfectly with sprint or run. However recently I decided to try a flying scrapper (which seems to get more crits [which I can't figure out yet]) and with hover (or fly) active, my character always stops short of automatically moving into melee range after I press 'E' and I have to manually move forward a few extra feet. Possibly this is intended behaviour but I don't know why it would be?

This has always been the case, even back in retail, and I've experienced on numerous melee characters with Hover or Fly.  Follow always stops just short of melee range, which is quite frustrating.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Always been the case, as mentioned.  Saw this feature/bug of the Follow system while Hovering as far back as Issue 4.

Kind of makes me wonder if the solution to it is to take Mystic Flight instead, since Mystic Flight will slide at the end and move you those last few feet into melee range while not costing so much endurance that you can't afford to fight without your feet touching the ground.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

Always been the case, as mentioned.  Saw this feature/bug of the Follow system while Hovering as far back as Issue 4.

Kind of makes me wonder if the solution to it is to take Mystic Flight instead, since Mystic Flight will slide at the end and move you those last few feet into melee range while not costing so much endurance that you can't afford to fight without your feet touching the ground.

Regular Fly does the 'coasting' too but I don't fight with Fly just Hover for the defense and lower end use..