Carrion Creepers

s3ri0us

Stupid question inc.... How does Carrion Creepers work? I know it's a pseudopet following you invisibly but some times i don't see the tentacles spawning or they spawn the first time i cast it and they won't follow me on the next packs even if they are super perma. Do i need more Accuracy or they are totaly random to spawn?

Interesting. AFAIK, the Accuracy has to do with their powers hitting mobs, not with the summons power bringing up tentacles. The patch should be following, though it may have a limited aggro radius so you're better served to go into the next spawn. The only indicators are a slight weird noise, and I think it leaves a trail if it follows you through water.

7 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Interesting. AFAIK, the Accuracy has to do with their powers hitting mobs, not with the summons power bringing up tentacles. The patch should be following, though it may have a limited aggro radius so you're better served to go into the next spawn. The only indicators are a slight weird noise, and I think it leaves a trail if it follows you through water.

I was in a mission now and i saw something even more weird... Hit the button, Carrion creepers thingy is on the ground but no tentacles... :/

2 hours ago, s3ri0us said:

I was in a mission now and i saw something even more weird... Hit the button, Carrion creepers thingy is on the ground but no tentacles... 😕

Were there any enemies/dead bodies present?

They behave like any pet in that if there is still an enemy alive they will remain until it is defeated or until you tether far enough away to make them disengage. They also don't move very quickly to the next spawn, so they certainly work better in some scenarios than others. 

32 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

Were there any enemies/dead bodies present?

They behave like any pet in that if there is still an enemy alive they will remain until it is defeated or until you tether far enough away to make them disengage. They also don't move very quickly to the next spawn, so they certainly work better in some scenarios than others. 

I guess the answer is that they don't move fast. The weird thing is that some time they don't even spawn.

8 minutes ago, s3ri0us said:

I guess the answer is that they don't move fast. The weird thing is that some time they don't even spawn.

Difficult to say if you are seeing something different, but I've had situations where I'm mopping up the last few enemies of the next spawn and they finally show up just as I'm ready to move on. And I'm like "there you finally are"

I've made mention in past discussions on creepers the value of improving their recharge below their "perma" status because recasting them can be valuable at times to get them into the fight and because they restart their proc rolls. 

I haven't used creepers in a couple months though, something may have changed if they aren't working at all for you. 

You definitely need enemies/corpses around to get the big tentacles though. 

59 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

Difficult to say if you are seeing something different, but I've had situations where I'm mopping up the last few enemies of the next spawn and they finally show up just as I'm ready to move on. And I'm like "there you finally are"

I've made mention in past discussions on creepers the value of improving their recharge below their "perma" status because recasting them can be valuable at times to get them into the fight and because they restart their proc rolls. 

I haven't used creepers in a couple months though, something may have changed if they aren't working at all for you. 

You definitely need enemies/corpses around to get the big tentacles though. 

I'll just deal with it, some times they spawn some times they don't. In a pack of mobs spawned only 1 tentacle.

7 hours ago, s3ri0us said:

I'll just deal with it, some times they spawn some times they don't. In a pack of mobs spawned only 1 tentacle.

iirc it only has a 50% chance of spawning the big vine per mob. Now I could be mis-remembering but I think it works better off of slain foes.

If I cast it on a 8 man mob I may only see a handful of big vines pop up, but a trick I used on my plant/poison when pylon testing for fun was to heard up monkeys, poison trap them all dead and then cast creepers. A whole horde of big vines spawn and attack the pylon for the next 30 ish seconds before they despawn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frosticus said:

iirc it only has a 50% chance of spawning the big vine per mob. Now I could be mis-remembering but I think it works better off of slain foes.

If I cast it on a 8 man mob I may only see a handful of big vines pop up, but a trick I used on my plant/poison when pylon testing for fun was to heard up monkeys, poison trap them all dead and then cast creepers. A whole horde of big vines spawn and attack the pylon for the next 30 ish seconds before they despawn.

I did a S/L AE farm and they seem to spawn fine without dead bodies right from the start. Too bad it's not the same in PI missions and TFs cause tentacles = fast killing, controller wise speaking.

• 1 month later

I've found you need to be almost in the middle of the next mob to get them to spawn again from your last defeated mob.  They are slower at coming up.  But I normally can get them in two mobs for sure, sometimes a third if they are close.