Custom AE mission doors

Joshex

It'd be nice to be able to pick a zone and mission door in the AE mission editor. we'd need several drop down menus to accomplish it:

Mission Door Type: AE Teleporter (Default), Custom

if Custom: Mission Zone: Random, list of zones.

if Custom Door type: Door Number: Random, List of mission doors in the selected area.

For door number we should show it's location on the zone map and a picture of the door (or set of doors) so people can identify which door it is in mission editor.

What do you think?

• Like 1

All I am going to say is, that yellow tube in the building is meant to represent a Holodeck from Star Trek.  Running off kinda breaks the idea of "simulated missions" .  A new feature, sure why not using the basic functions of the AE outdoor; SG Mission computer maybe? I hear something is being looked at, create your own TF and run around Paragon.

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

It may be a little more complicated than that, since certain mission maps (caves, offices, sewers) are all keyed to certain doors throughout the map, not to mention missions where you arrive by vehicle too.

As much as I'd love the ability to set my story arc throughout the many city maps, it would be pretty hard to accomplish, but perhaps AE may be looked at in the future as the HC team move forward.

4 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

It may be a little more complicated than that, since certain mission maps (caves, offices, sewers) are all keyed to certain doors throughout the map, not to mention missions where you arrive by vehicle too.

As much as I'd love the ability to set my story arc throughout the many city maps, it would be pretty hard to accomplish, but perhaps AE may be looked at in the future as the HC team move forward.

Agreed, certain doors would have to have an AE warning "This door can only load Map_Name, not custom" and trigger an error which prevents publishing until rectified.

Edited by Joshex
  • Like 1

Alternatively, it’s a step down from “pick the precise door” but “pick zone” and the system assigns a random door that matches the map type in the zone (just as it does for virtually all the pre-Going Rogue arcs) would be a step in that direction.

That said, I do see the argument that it should be divorced from AE even if it otherwise uses the mission architect mechanics to build it. AE is intended to be a holodeck so triggering the missions from there doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Rather, I think the MA system should have an option of “publish to AE” or “publish to Zone Kiosk.”

If they choose the latter, the mission is accessed by a kiosk (are the old PVP ranking ones still used for anything?) present in each zone which places the designated contact skin onto an otherwise invisible version of the AE contact dummy somewhere in the zone and each mission is tagged to a door in the assigned zone.

This also means these missions need a distinctive hero/villain tag so they only turn up on kiosks of people who can accept those missions/access those zones (i.e. no sense in a mission series set on Mercy Island showing up for a hero).

The key immersive point would be that you can only access the mission lists from the kiosks, not edit missions, so anyone going there is doing so as a hero/villain looking for hero/villain bulletins.

Perhaps instead of the kiosks the system could be merged with the radio/newspaper and/or the tips windows while we’re at it in that it puts up a UI with both a random tip for your alignment and three radio missions and a section below for the searchable list of user generated content.

the point of giving the option to pick a mission door, is for things like Player Character origin stories or stories related to those characters etc. they take place in the real world not a holodeck. that's why there can be this option. as for the contact, it could be that the contact is only visible to the players on the AE team. For this each zone would have to have an "AE contact" spawner spot somewhere in zone at a predictable place that gets loaded if the mission is in that zone.