Spear + Shield option?

Here's a suggestion I would love to be implemented: spear weapon option distinct from staff, with longer reach/range. It could be held with two hands like staff or with shield could be held vertically, overarm and underarm in different animations and used in combo with shield in historical fashion. Spear is an underrated weapon, here are some examples of how attacks and moves could be animated for use in game:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It'd basically have to be 2 different power sets, whether it's wielded with 1 hand or 2.  As for the idea in general - sure, why not.  Personally, I think a single-hand version would be preferable, so it could be used with shields.  I'd make it's "schtick" the longer range and/or maybe make all attacks a very narrow cone, so you can hit multiple foes that are lined up in a row...

2 minutes ago, biostem said:

It'd basically have to be 2 different power sets, whether it's wielded with 1 hand or 2.  As for the idea in general - sure, why not.  Personally, I think a single-hand version would be preferable, so it could be used with shields.  I'd make it's "schtick" the longer range and/or maybe make all attacks a very narrow cone, so you can hit multiple foes that are lined up in a row...

I guess I meant something like taking Spear without Shield would give you thrusting attacks and a few swings or swipes borrowed from Staff but longer reach, while taking Spear and then Shield together would provide the overarm and underarm animations like Greek hoplites etc. I agree with your points about attack radius, tho.

5 minutes ago, hellohello said:

I guess I meant something like taking Spear without Shield would give you thrusting attacks and a few swings or swipes borrowed from Staff but longer reach, while taking Spear and then Shield together would provide the overarm and underarm animations like Greek hoplites etc. I agree with your points about attack radius, tho.

As far as I understand, power sets don't work that way.  Taking broad sword without a shield doesn't work differently than with it, for example.  That is why I said it'd have to be 2 different power sets.  Maybe they could make a "spear set" and a "polearm set" or something, (though staff is already pretty close to the latter).