Community Project: Adding Villainous Depth to Redside Missions and Story Arcs

So!  Classic "money-put-mouth" declaration from me here . . . 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17554-make-red-side-great-again/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-199306

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17554-make-red-side-great-again/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-199737

Basic premise:
It has often been cited by players that the Redside content feels more Rogue'y rather than Villainous, and frequently fails to deliver on the sense of empowerment the players hoped for.  The specific critique criteria generally revolve around players having the agency over their characters' motivation being denied, and playing "lackey" or "mercenary" rather than getting to pursue personal conquests.  
This is not to say that all existing Redside content is inherently harmful to player enjoyment, and therefore needs to be changed or removed.  Instead, the plan for this project is to supplement the existing missions and story arcs to provide branching narrative options with the specific intent to provide players the opportunity for greater creative freedom in telling their characters' personal stories.
This project doesn't preclude the possibility of a similar treatment occurring Blueside, but the focus of this thread will be specific to Redside content, with a primary focus on older content first.

My proposal:
Step 1 - Review existing Redside missions and story arcs, looking for ideal candidates.
Step 2 - List the content in this thread, citing specific portions of the mission/arc which are problematic.
Step 3 - Community analyse of the issue, with proposed solutions.
Step 4 - Peer review of proposals to hone down the number of possibilities to 3 to 5 maximum (including original version).
Step 5 - Assign a volunteer author to write the branching narrative components.

What do you say?  Can we villains team up to do right by one another?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like Redside, but I do agree it needs a lot of touching up. The low level stuff I can brush off... But once you get to 25+, it should be at that point where you start doing your own thing. The cloning facility is one that comes to mind, and the Praetorian team you build up and work with. I can see it being pretty difficult, as many redside stuff is mainly just doing stuff for your contact, but with enough brain power (of which I tend to lack) we can make some of these storylines much more fun. I'd be more than willing to even go back and replay this stuff to try and pick out what is wrong. My memory isn't the greatest at recalling some of the lower level stuff... If I roll another baddie, I'll take notes.

• Like 1

@rajjypants - Everlasting Server

The steps listed above are very good. I like the idea of reviewing the current content and missions, and seeing where things can be improved.

I also think that the Arachnos soldier / blood widow can use some examination. I don't think they should be going after / doing operations against Arachnos. I see them doing covert missions, spy and saboteur type of things, sewing dissent into paragon city, strike forces, commando operations, etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mirage said:

I also think that the Arachnos soldier / blood widow can use some examination. I don't think they should be going after / doing operations against Arachnos. I see them doing covert missions, spy and saboteur type of things, sewing dissent into paragon city, strike forces, commando operations, etc.

Nice! As always, more content is more 🙂

I always thought the story arcs that Alan Desslock gives (where you put yourself on the "Destined Ones" list and then go be a "regular" Villain left a lot "off screen".

Some content that includes dodging duties and your superiors in order to go "moonlight" as a Destined One, as well as the kinds of special operations you describe would be great. In particular, missions where you are sent on operations by your Arachnos unit, but have to keep a low profile to avoid being discovered would be interesting. Maybe your unit is sent to apprehend one of your other contacts for interrogation. Do you silence your contact to keep them from exposing your non-Arachnos activities, or do you turn on your unit and have to deflect suspicion as a "sole survivor"?

• Like 1

I recall there was some missions (from arbiter brass? IIRC), that you are told by him to attack an Arachnos base, but it's with his permission and for the progression of the assignment.

I would like to see missions, similar to the tutorial (if you start in galaxy city, and choose a villain, you see them there at the end), why are they there in GC?

Also, there is alot of Arachnos in Faultline, doing "Archaeological" digs and investigations. Going so far as establishing a base (on the other side of the Dam), with tunnels all over the northern part of Faultline. I don't know if there is a treaty or permission for them to be there, but it's interesting that this is inside Paragon City, and no heroes, or longbow are doing anything about it. 

Something is going on, and it would be interesting to build upon that. So many ideas can come from this!

• Like 1