Hero Epic Pool Powers available to Widows, etc

MsSmart

Hi

I finally got my widow maker to 50! and while she is a joy to play, she is a bit brittle when it gets to combat. The class has excellent ways to skyrocket your character's defenses, but has nothing to help with damage resistance, the second part of the survive duo. In fact they have none, and the only way I can give her any resistance is by slotting Tough which only covers lethal and smash. I do want to recognize the class does provide resistance to Psionic, but the class left wide open to fire, cold, energy, and negative. Also how come toxic has no defense to? 

Anyway I would settle with having 3 out 8 types of damages covered, but high level of content has most mobs do fire/cold/energy/negative damage. And if you do TINMAN then you get assaulted with puke-toxic attacks and all the Psionic attacks you can imagine.

So it brings me back to my suggestion title...

When I play my hero characters, I can go red side and do a patron arc, and voila I got a very nice expanded epic power pool to select from. But I can't find a similar manner for my widow to get access to the other epic pools where I could get coverage for at least 2 other forms of damage, typically cold/fire or energy/negative, placing me at 5 out of 8, not perfect but quite a great deal better.

Or a possibly simpler approach may be to let the widows and other classes who do not get ready access to the normal, is to give them ready access to the hero side epic pools.

Either way, it's only a suggestion...

Of course the incarnate power Destiny Barrier does alleviate this to some extent, but you sure are not going to have this while you climb to the top...

Thank you!

Please contribute any ideas or recommendations to help me solve my damage resistance issue, it may not take what I suggested and there could be a practical  way to address it, if so please tell me! Hugs 

You won't 'solve' the issue. Mostly Veats (except crabs) are designed to be mostly all defence, and min resist. If they had a lot, they would be even MORE stupidly powerful. Perhaps the main reason crabs also get a load of resists is that they are more moderate AoE damage.

Tough, the 2 +res IOs and barrier should give you enough to survive basically anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsSmart said:

Hi

I finally got my widow maker to 50! and while she is a joy to play, she is a bit brittle when it gets to combat. The class has excellent ways to skyrocket your character's defenses, but has nothing to help with damage resistance, the second part of the survive duo. In fact they have none, and the only way I can give her any resistance is by slotting Tough which only covers lethal and smash. I do want to recognize the class does provide resistance to Psionic, but the class left wide open to fire, cold, energy, and negative. Also how come toxic has no defense to?

While it might be fun to have VEATs with more pool options, in the specific case of resistances it really isn't necessary. Widows in particular can have softcap+ positional defenses (i.e. >45%) by very straightforward slotting and power choices. I believe the amount of incoming damage (from an even con enemy) taken by a character with 45% defense and 10% resist is something like 9%, while the same defense with 30% resist would be around 7%.

My experience with Widows (both paths) is that this really isn't worth worrying about. My experience with Fortunatas is that positional defenses can be soft-capped (non incarnate) without Mind Link, and I didn't bother trying to get Mind Link 'perma'. Night Widows have a much easier time getting Mind Link 'perma' (because of Mental Training).

As a further aside: As the Soldiers of Arachnos share patron pools with Brutes and Tankers, it is likely that they'd only have access to the same Epic pool choices as Brutes and Tanks. There are a few good powers in them, but I'm not sure any of those sets would truly benefit any of the Soldiers.

There are many ways to improve the survivability of your widow; if it is resistances you crave consider the Reactive Defenses Scaling Damage Resistance proc. You won't have the resistance at full health, but you will start to get it in fights against all opponents except those which would one-shot you.