New to the game looking for build help

ragoom

I feel like when you are brand new, you're better off just playing and browsing the forums until you get a baseline familiarity with the game. Some of these guys and gals on here have a remarkable understanding of game mechanics but you wont necessarily benefit form that without a little precursory knowledge.

I will say that the goal of anyone trying to stay alive is to look at 2 pools of stats, defense and resistance. There are goals you want to hit regarding these stats. Defense you either go type or positional, e.g. Smashing/Lethal damage are types and melee is positional. Your goal is to get these to 45% as there are super diminishing returns after this except some incarnate content but ignore that for now. Resists on a tanker can go up to 90%, so that is what you aim for. Rad/Dark is an extremely survivable combination resist based set with some nifty toys weaved in. You get a bunch of free build do overs in this game (respecs) so don't sweat messing up too much. If you are familiar with set bonuses I would download the mids hero planner form this website and try and reach as many of the defense and resist numbers mentioned above.

Find mids subforum here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/74-forum/

Edited by Giocondi
  • Like 1

Also, don't go overboard slotting your Resists and Defenses up front.
Make sure you have plenty of slots in your attacks.

For TO/DO/SO and generic IO, I generally will build attacks to 5 slots and stop there.

First slot: +Acc
Second: +Damage
Third slot: +Acc
Fourth: +Damage
Fifth: Either +EndRedux or +Recharge (totally preference)

In most regular content at even-level, it pretty much assures you'll hit pretty much everything.

For armors, again in the TO/DO/SO and generic IO phase, I look for three slots.

First slot: +Resist/+Defense
Second: +Resist/+Defense
Third: +EndRedux

Now, in a couple places you have hybrids where you can slot BOTH +Resist AND + Defense
One of these can be 5 slotted

First slot: +Resist
Second: +Defense
Third: +EndRedux
Fourth: +Resist
Fifth: +Defense

If you get a hybrid Resist/Heal or Defense/Heal, you can slot them similarly.

For +ToHit/+Damage/Hasten, etc.  Your optimal investment is 2 slots.  Diminishing Returns makes much beyond that a waste.
Quick and dirty is just two +Recharges so they're up as often as possible.

Now, once you get L40-50, come on back and start asking about an end-game build.
Note: I really DO NOT recommend you attempt to level up using an end-game build as a template.  Have had friends try to do that, and the slog was absolutely BRUTAL.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

10 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Now, once you get L40-50, come on back and start asking about an end-game build.
Note: I really DO NOT recommend you attempt to level up using an end-game build as a template.  Have had friends try to do that, and the slog was absolutely BRUTAL.

It can be depending on how you focus it.  I generally plan my final build when I roll the character but I concentrate on keeping it playable as I level up.

For example, I'll always grab the Miracle & Numina uniques ASAP, and the other uniques I'll try and get as they open up.  If I'm going to be using a lot of Kinetic Combat sets in my attacks I'll start slotting them when I can but not necessarily worry about getting the bonuses right away, I do occasionally use placeholder sets in the early going.  My armors will get Def/End or Res/End IO's early and likely get some tweaking as I level up.

One potential trap is to focus on set bonuses early to the detriment of the basic enhancement of the powers, THAT will make for a FUN time.  Of course this also assumes you have the inf (money) to afford this kind of build.  It also assumes you're completely familiar with set IO's and IO bonuses so it's generally not recommended for a new player.  When you're starting out I generally advocate something similar to your suggestions Hyper although I'd lean towards 1 ACC/3 DAM/1 Endred in attacks that are frequently used.  The tier one attack can be left with the single default slot; toss an ACC in there.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler