Why are we still bothering with PPM (when we already have Doublehit)?

On 6/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, Zeraphia said:

You answered your own question.

No seriously, you really did. That's exactly why it was put into place. When you have a power that is on say like a 240s base recharge, and it only has a 20% chance to proc the particular effect, why would you ever slot procs in these powers? It would be far too unreliable. Also, it makes powers that have multiple ticks and chances to fire that are static like Rain of Fire / Sleet possibly overpowered by being a fixed % on a lot of its ticks.

Further, it gives further advantage to high DPAS sets (Fire Blast) because of what you just said, fire more often, more procs. The PPM system imo is much better overall and fairer than the old system.

Also, many builds have already been made specifically designed with PPM procs in mind. It would be a huge nerf to several characters (especially Controllers/Doms).

You entirely ignored the key part of the OP's post though.

PPMs are CONFUSING for non-data players.  It's really difficult to decide when it's worth it or not to slot a proc in a power.  You admit this is true in the reverse with you "240" second example, but ignore that not it's true of a 4 second recharge power. 

The OP seems to be saying keep the chance for proc the same, but the power of the proc dependent on the recharge. This would still be confusing for players, but a lot LESS confusing, because we still know it's chance to go off, it's just how much it will matter we'll have to watch for, and that's much easier to keep track of than how and when the procs themselves go off, IMO. 

I actually support this OP's suggestion.  Ive hated the PPM since it was implemented.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Puma said:

You entirely ignored the key part of the OP's post though.

You totally ignored the part where the topic was changed and edited to become more clear... the next several posts show how this has progressed to become more clear...

Just now, Zeraphia said:

You totally ignored the part where the topic was changed and edited to become more clear... the next several posts show how this has progressed to become more clear...

Yeah, Im just reading those now, and you're right.  Once it was clarified you seemed to get it.  Sorry!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

I will leave questions on which system works better to the number crunches, but to me..the current PPM system just seems to overly reward 'crazy' or non standard slotting. I totally get that the old 20% chance per proc was unfair to low rech powers, and great on fast ones. But the PPM system seems to be the opposite. You can take a 'long' (I forget teh exact value, but MacSkull had a great thread about PPM rates and recharges), slap a ton of procs in it, and they basically all get a 70% or higher (may not have actually been 70, but it was MORE than 20%) to go off.

This is even worse (that it, better for a player) if you build for rech (which, is very easy and common), and more so with +rech alphas and Ageless (super super common).

Case in Point..Savage Melee.

I tried it on my very first toon coming back, and found Hemorage and SLeap to be..well..shite. Low damage, and silly mechanics (the damage vs distance) almost cripple the powers. Then I found a great thread about proccing SM. It is basically doing both those attacks with a 53% damage purple IO, and procs.

ANd it is INSANE. Just stupidly awesome. All those procs go off almost every time, and turn less than average powers into basically broken ones (I think teh difference seems so great, since both powers are very lacking out of teh box).

Other examples include Epic Holds (for blasters) slotted with FIVE procs. Is an epic hold really really meant to do 5 lots of proc damage, with like a 90% chance?

Or the dark melee changes, and Dark COnsumption becoming a mini nuke,.

So yeah..PPM totally made procs worth it in long duration powers..and exploits global rech (and minimal power rech slotting) to a silly degree.

+rech alphas count as slotted recharge & hurt proc chances