New PC - Poor Performance (Solved)

Davy

Specs

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600k

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB

Storage: 250GB M.2 SSD / 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

I recently just got a new PC however City of Heroes and so far only City of Heroes is running extremely sluggish even at minimum settings. At first I thought this was because it was running off an integrated graphics card but this is not the case.

I'm at a loss as to why it's doing this, any suggestions?

Edited by Davy

spacer.png

opossum haha

Well it's definitely not your system specs doing it. Is it a laptop? 

The magnifying thing was on my laptop due to its resolution, which made my game really laggy --  changing that from 175% to 100% fixed my lag on my laptop. 

1 minute ago, kiramon said:

Well it's definitely not your system specs doing it. Is it a laptop? 

The magnifying thing was on my laptop due to its resolution, which made my game really laggy --  changing that from 175% to 100% fixed my lag on my laptop. 

It's a desktop.

spacer.png

opossum haha

1 minute ago, Davy said:

It's a desktop.

Spoiler

Check your power plan settings: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, choose your plan and click Change advanced power settings, go to Processor power management and see what is the value of maximum processor state.
There is another method to use all cores of your CPU on your PC that helps to run your i5 on 4 cores all time:
push window key+R, type there "msconfig", go to Boot section and click advanced options button, check the box near the number of processors and choose how many cores u want to use, click OK, apply, OK and reboot your

Are you also sure it's using the right card? You can make sure to set CoH to always use your RTX in the control panel if you haven't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kiramon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Check your power plan settings: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, choose your plan and click Change advanced power settings, go to Processor power management and see what is the value of maximum processor state.
There is another method to use all cores of your CPU on your PC that helps to run your i5 on 4 cores all time:
push window key+R, type there "msconfig", go to Boot section and click advanced options button, check the box near the number of processors and choose how many cores u want to use, click OK, apply, OK and reboot your

Are you also sure it's using the right card? You can make sure to set CoH to always use your RTX in the control panel if you haven't.

After looking into it more, it's using GPU 0 which is the integrated. But even when setting it to Performance it is using GPU 0.

spacer.png

opossum haha

I'd be careful disabling the integrated graphics card @Davy. It will shorten the lifespan of your non-integrated graphics card if you're using it for everything.

You should have some sort of control panel for the better graphics card that lets you set what programs it switches on for. (Nvidia cards have the Nvidia control panel, for example.)

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

• Game Master
50 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

I'd be careful disabling the integrated graphics card @Davy. It will shorten the lifespan of your non-integrated graphics card if you're using it for everything.

You should have some sort of control panel for the better graphics card that lets you set what programs it switches on for. (Nvidia cards have the Nvidia control panel, for example.)

If you have nothing plugged into the integrated graphics port on the desktop, that's fine.  (Personally, if a monitor isn't directly connected to a video card, I don't game on it, period.)

Users have very little control of what motherboard specifically comes for their computer if it's premade.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

2 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

If you have nothing plugged into the integrated graphics port on the desktop, that's fine.  (Personally, if a monitor isn't directly connected to a video card, I don't game on it, period.)

Users have very little control of what motherboard specifically comes for their computer if it's premade.

Most gaming computers use integrated graphics cards for everyday stuff (browsing the web, ms office, etc), with an automated switch that changes over to the dedicated GPU for more intense stuff. (Games, photoshop, etc.)

Just saw that @Davy is using NVidea. Best way to solve this problem is:

1. Right click on the desktop, select "Nvidia Control Panel"
  2. Click on "Manage 3D Settings"
  3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab.
  4. Select "City of Heroes" from the list (If "City of Heroes" isn't on the list, click "Add", and then navigate to wherever the "cityofheroes.exe" file is located.)
  5. Then under "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program", make sure it has the NVidia GPU selected.
  6. Click "Apply".

Or you can just disable your integrated graphics card and enjoy paying to replace the NVidia graphics card once a year due to overworking it.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Confused 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

18 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

Or you can just disable your integrated graphics card and enjoy paying to replace the NVidia graphics card once a year due to overworking it.

I've been an AMD boy my whole life (last intel cpu I had was a Pentium 4) and I have never owned a CPU with an integrated graphics processor. I have always had Nvidia graphics cards and I have never had one scrap after one year because it's being overworked because the card is rendering my web browser. If you have to replace your video card every year it is 100% not because it is rendering Firefox and you should look to other problems with your build.

Edited by Seigmoraig
  • Thanks 1

• Game Master

I'm with Seig here.  That hasn't been my experience at all.

Yes, heat is the enemy, and I have had to replace my Graphics Card... after 5 years of service.  I'm three years into my current one, still going strong.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

1 hour ago, GM Tahquitz said:

I'm three years into my current one, still going strong.

Especially with the cards running the Pascal architecture and beyond, those cards run so cool that the fans aren't even spinning most of the time