Requires directx 8 or higher...

WeberMJ46

I just installed City of Heroes: Homecoming and when I press the play button it cannot seem to find my version of direct x. I have version 12 installed but I get an error saying that I need directx 8 or higher. Any ideas?  I am running windows 10 fully updated.  Graphics card is gtx1050ti. I initially installed onto my d: drive but have also moved over to my c: drive and performed a file verify and still get the same error.

Thanks

Mike

What Fifth said... try downloading it from Microsoft here and see if that fixes it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

That did not work. It detected a newer version of directx and will not install.  I am going to try manually resetting the version in the registry back to an older version to get it to install then run windows update again to reinstall version 12 and see if that works. Will let you know the results.

Mike

I have tried a couple of methods I found to install directx 9 along side directx 12.  CoH still does not recognize directx being installed. The file I tried to install is directx_Jun2010_redist.exe. It seemed to do its thing and I installed from the dxsetup it unpacked in the tmp folder I setup for it. I also went into legacy features and enabled direct play. Still no luck.  Any other ideas? Or should I try a virtual machine and run it in that?

thanks,

mike

Afternoon all,

Same issue as reported here Windows 10 64 pro. I have gone thru the install guide and double checked my work against the comments in this thread. I have run as admin, in compatibility mode, and made the Windows defender changes. Additionally after getting the DX8 error I get an input error stating the keyboard and mouse are not detected then the client crashes.

Thank you,

M

Afternoon all,

Same issue as reported here Windows 10 64 pro. I have gone thru the install guide and double checked my work against the comments in this thread. I have run as admin, in compatibility mode, and made the Windows defender changes. Additionally after getting the DX8 error I get an input error stating the keyboard and mouse are not detected then the client crashes.

Thank you,

M

That is actually the same issue i have on my windows 10 tablet.

Can't start CoH at all until both my bluetooth keyboard and mouse are connected, but after that there are no issues.

So if you are running on an actual desktop, not sure what might be it.

I figured it out.  It was the fact that i was using a usb mouse.  A trackball to be exact. Anyway I plugged in an old ps2 mouse and just left it sitting on the back of the pc and everything works great.  The trackball works fine it, just was not being detected by the direct input and caused the error messages. I also got the direct input messages but figured it was a problem with directx. turns out it just could not find the mouse.

Thanks for the help,

Mike