Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests!

Like a lot of you, I'm an altaholic. And sometimes I just want some help figuring out to play next! So I created a fun little web site called City Suggests. What does it do? Well, it introduces the power of RNG to help you figure out what character to make!

Just want to get straight to it? Click here: https://coh.tips/

Want to find out more? Read on.

The first thing you can do with this tool is on the Suggestions tab. Here, you can choose to "Roll Themes" which will roll a primary/secondary theme for the character and then suggest some archetypes and power sets that fit those themes. On the other hand, if you're feeling lucky, you can just click "Roll Random" which will just put together a list of completely random ATs and power sets for you to ponder.

theme-options.thumb.png.dac83f3510fe9edf8288e2958ffefbc6.png

There are a couple of options you can see above to help refine things. By default it'll include all the Homecoming goodness ("Issue 25"), but if you want to use this with a non-HC server you can click over to Issue 24. Second, by default the suggestion tool will only show one power set per suggested archetype, to keep it simple. If you want the fire hose, you can uncheck that box.

Here's an example of what the results look like:

example-theme-roll.thumb.png.a51672d57b3d0f03e10b5df1799b2d4f.png

You can see above that it chose "Healing and Soothing of Wounds" as a primary theme and "Mind Powers" as a secondary themes. After that, it'll suggest a potential character name and then list out some ideas for achetypes and power sets (shown below). You'll notice a little padlock icon next to each theme -- if you click those, it'll lock that theme in for subsequent rolls, if you want to stay in that realm. Click it again to unlock.

Example of AT/powerset results:

example-archetype-roll.thumb.png.dbc78d60456c862ac9e38c837eefee59.png

Inline with the themes of healing and mind powers, it's given me a few options to consider. Maybe a Defender with Storm Summoning and Psychic Blast? Or perhaps a Tanker with Rad Armor and Psi Melee? The possibilities are endless!

In addition to actual powersets, if you're just looking for help with naming your next alt, you can click over to the Names tab to just get a whole gob of silly random names. Some of them might actually sound like real superhero names too! You can even limit it to themes, just like the AT selections. Here's an example of what that looks like:

names-options.thumb.png.2b1a0449ba548680f4944827229bb042.png

Options here are pretty straightforward. Choose whether you want male-sounding names, female-sounding names, or both. Choose a couple of optional themes if you want, then go!

example-names-result.thumb.png.5c4221883f189e88a5bdb3a8fb19b3b0.png

What a great set of options for us! I'm thinking my next character will be Dr. Proud Paws One. She sounds fun.

Finally there are two last "advanced" tabs. The "Exclusions" tab lets you choose archetypes and themes to remove from consideration if they just aren't your thing. Don't worry! It'll remember as long as you come back on the same browser/computer/phone so you don't have to change it every time. The last tab, "Themes and Power Sets", just lets you view the completely scientificarbitrary way I categorized power sets.

So there you have it. Don't try to take it too seriously... this is just silly fun for all you altaholics out there. Who knows, maybe you'll get some inspiration for the next costume contest. Give it a try! And if you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to share it here.

Have fun!

>>> https://coh.tips/ <<<

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

• 4 weeks later

@RubyRed this interface is FANTASTIC! Certainly anything above and beyond what I could ever make. Would you possibly be interested in collaborating with me at some point in the future on my own project?

I would love to have your "CoH look and feel" implemented in my future Field Trainer.

• Like 2
I'm out.

5 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

@RubyRed this interface is FANTASTIC! Certainly anything above and beyond what I could ever make. Would you possibly be interested in collaborating with me at some point in the future on my own project?

I would love to have your "CoH look and feel" implemented in my future Field Trainer.

I don't have a lot of time to collaborate on a project right now, but you're more than welcome to use the interface CSS I wrote (if your project is web-based). I put it under a MIT license which should hopefully be permissive enough to not be a problem for anyone wanting to use it.

https://gitlab.com/rubidium-dev/city-suggests

Edited by RubyRed

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

6 hours ago, gurugeorge said:

Hey RubyRed, have you thought about incorporating Supergroup names into this?  Might be a handy extension if you have the time and inclination! 🙂

Oof. The name generation part of this was the most complex part, and I spent way too much time on it. (And frankly I'm still not 100% happy with it, I had to force myself to stop messing with it...)

It's a good idea, though. I've got some other things I'm working on right now, but maybe later I'll revisit this and add SG naming. Thanks!

On 2/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, RubyRed said:

Oof. The name generation part of this was the most complex part, and I spent way too much time on it. (And frankly I'm still not 100% happy with it, I had to force myself to stop messing with it...)

It's a good idea, though. I've got some other things I'm working on right now, but maybe later I'll revisit this and add SG naming. Thanks!

No worries, what you've given us is fantastic just to jog the mind along.  Again, thanks very much!

• 1 month later

Updated this morning to include Electrical Affinity in suggestions!

• Like 1

• 7 months later

Been a while since I did much with this. I made several new updates today:

• Added Sonic Manipulation to Blasters and Energy Melee to Scrappers (i27 stuff)
  • Made the issue-selection more granular, you can now choose any range from i24 to i27.
  • Realized I had missed Spines on Brute, so that's been added.
  • There wasn't any logic to validate the suggestions, so you'd sometimes get silly suggestions like Shield Defense + Titan Weapons. That's been fixed.
  • Nice little badge added next to power sets for anything post-i24.

If you're having any issues using the page, make sure to empty browser cache and try again before reporting as a bug. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later
  • 1 month later

@RubyRed Is cohtips no longer maintained?

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

7 hours ago, Bopper said:

@RubyRed Is cohtips no longer maintained?

They haven't logged on since 4/5/2022.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 1 month later
  • 5 weeks later