"Proteus" the new super metal (aka Proto-metal)

jerzeemouse

• 2 weeks later

Why do science types always jump to the application and not consider the consequences?  They think it's cool that you can make locks with it.  What happens when someone rents a shed uses the lock, then dies or abandons it?  The shed owners are going to have to maul their own property to remove the lock.  Same with sports lockers.  And if a bicycle does have to be impounded for some reason, the same with it.

I'm wondering if lasers cut it, even if very slowly.  If so, I wonder if it might have applications as a sharpened blade.  We might have the basis for future heroic katanas right here.

Nothing's really "cut-proof".

This stuff's just harder to cut without destroying your tools.

Also, if a lock of this were made, likely it wouldn't be the whole lock.  Just the shackle.
As this stuff is fairly difficult to manufacture and will likely be VERY expensive.

So, you either cut/smash the lock body or you pick the lock.

Neither is terribly hard.

You can also just cut the locking hasp off and replace it.

Don't ask me how I know these things...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 3 weeks later
On 7/31/2020 at 9:28 PM, Techwright said:

I'm wondering if lasers cut it, even if very slowly.  If so, I wonder if it might have applications as a sharpened blade.  We might have the basis for future heroic katanas right here.

It's an aluminum matrix composite. Heat will do a number on it pretty easily I would expect. A laser or a torch would go right through it. 

• Like 1