Change to DE 'voices'

srmalloy

One of the things that has always bothered me about the DE is how the Granite mobs 'rip off' the Council wolves, particularly the howling; it just feels wrong for an animated rock formation to be sounding like a wolf. Fortunately, there's already a good replacement in game -- in The Hive, the monster-rank Quarries have a deep, almost subsonic cry that feels much more appropriate for animated rock. So I'm throwing out the suggestion of asking to have the Granite 'wolf howl' be replaced by the Quarry low-frequency call. Comments?

Update: In theory, this should only require replacing the 'play this sound file' value for the animation a Granite does that currently plays the Council wolf howl with the one a Quarry uses, but I've learned not to trust that how I'd set up data structures would be the way another programmer would do it.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 2

See also: A great many enemies that make the beep boop robot noises from the Council and Fifth Column hoverbots when struck despite not at all being robots.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

7 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

I think part of the issue is that some sound effects are tied to the models and animations even. No idea why the live devs did that but they did.

Which is why I added the update; I haven't taken a dive into the data structures, so I can't say for certain that it's just a matter of changing a link to a sound file. I can only speculate based on what I would have done if I'd been responsible for defining the data structure. In any case, I'm just trying to see if there's enough support for the idea to actually present it to the devs for consideration.