Contact and Mission Progress from 1-50.

4 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

Certainly, giving the HC wiki contacts info page a read gave me an understanding of the different types of contacts and how the progression and mission content is organised.  (Though this wasn't ever explicitly apparent.  Just...'oh...I can't speak to this contact any more...uh...ok...guess I've out levelled him...)

So, I can see the merit of shutting off xp if you want to finish the contact without out levelling them.  A touch frustrating.  Hey...it won't let me finish the contact arc...and I had one mission to go...etc.

Azrael.

Yeah, I agree that the current 'types' of contacts, and the fact they share mission sets is a bit obscure. I started looking at the HC wiki with the intent of rewriting the contact pages so they were more explicit about the grouping by origin and were more complete, as several contacts seem to be missing missions and the like. But I ran into a wall of 'that's a lot of work, is this just me being anal and does anyone else actually care?'

I also agree that the name of the contact should show up somewhere on the Oro pop-up. It's a bit of UX design that would make things a bit cleaner to the user.

6 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

So, I can see the merit of shutting off xp if you want to finish the contact without out levelling them.  A touch frustrating.  Hey...it won't let me finish the contact arc...and I had one mission to go...etc.

So long as you've started a story arc (one of the ones that shows up in your mission list with a book next to it) then you'll always be able to complete the arc, no matter how high your level.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 8/30/2020 at 6:38 PM, Grouchybeast said:

So long as you've started a story arc (one of the ones that shows up in your mission list with a book next to it) then you'll always be able to complete the arc, no matter how high your level.

Cheers for that, Grouchy.

Azrael.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Also something you just do not seem to be getting nor really responding with any clearer of an idea is what would an AT specific path even mean for ATs? Aside from PB, WS etc there is no idea of what even would be in this game. What would a scrapper path even mean? A blaster? Mobs are not designed with specific ATs in mind. Unless you are like suggesting that there would be mobs on a path for a blaster for example that wouldnt use CC etc, so that only those ATs with the ability to negate a mobs abilities would be encountered. That sounds a lot like fire farming imo though.

It sounds like the PB arcs.  I think the devs showed a tantalising promise of what 'could have been' with the PB/WS arcs.  With a specific arc.  It felt tailed to the AT.  And it was.  IT played to the strengths and weaknesses of the PB/WS AT.

AT arcs for 1-50 would be cool.   

Azrael.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

I also think you are taking the whole arc/contact thing from a bad angle. Look up the arc by its name, and then see who the contacts for it are, as long as one is natural, then that is all that should matter for your needs. Plenty of arcs use contacts of different origins, usually overlapping much how DO enhancements are paired up.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Stature_Levels

No.  Not a 'bad' angle.  Taking it from here.  From the game itself.  It offers Origin types.  So, rather than it being 'mere window dressing...' it would be nice to follow this path without getting blown off course.   Luckily, after a bit of frustration with this idea my Duo Partner put to me...  I said, 'Why don't we just use Oro'?'  (As the we'd often get out of sync  with contacts.  I'd complete an arc but they wouldn't get the merits.  Better to just do Oro' as TFs and we both get the Merits.  It's working a treat.  We've just earned our 3rd AT IO at L27.  (The only IOs we're allowing ourselves 1-50 as we're playing with some 'old school' limitations like non-Oro travel in general and using SOs.)

Thankfully, after reading the Wiki on contacts and missions I have a clearer idea of how it all works.  Due to their being no Pact system now(?) we've decided to go Oro.  It's the closest thing to it.  That way the Duo keep in sync.  So we can look at the picture of a contact in Oro and see if it matches the natural contact name for our Arc range (natural.).  (Geeze...but having to cross reference a Wiki to find out the picture's name...bit of an oversight by the original dev's there.  Name and Origin...shouldn't be that hard to put in the Oro data base?)

Yes.  We know about 'bit of magic' here and there trappings of the mobs.   ie.  Hard to call any absolutes with 100% purity at times.  But the game offers a natural path.  We're natural heroes.  And we've hit upon a formula (after some frustration with how the level system works...) of just using Oro.

And how it's 'all art' definitions of origin types.  *Nods.  PB/WS are 'natural.'  We 'get it.'  Just not in terms of what people tend to think of natural aka Batman.  A well trained guy with street smarts.  (Or street smart **** as he is these days...)

If we need more than our Natural origin contact to help us level.  We just pick some of the closely related to Natural old favourites arcs.

And we've had a lot of fun doing that.  

It's nice to use our knowledge of the game with Tricks/Arrows and to finally wrap our head around how the mission levelling system (and the various other types of arcs/contacts/Oro) works.  

It's nice that a 16 year old game still have the ability to surprise you and learn something new. 🙂

Azrael.