3D Model Replacments

Lines

Replacing the 3d models is much harder that replacing textures or sounds. Putting aside things like file format and model scale, here is a short list of problems I could foresee:

• each new model would need new textures ( you wouldn't be able to just import the old skins).
  • Certain animations (like emotes or attacks) might break the new models
  • The anchors of the new models may cause problems for add-ons (costume pieces, weapons, capes)
  • Hit boxes might not accurately reflect the new model

Sounds and textures are some of the last touches, so they are easier to change. The 3d models are a baseline, and replacing them means potentially replacing a lot of things associated with them. It's not impossible, just a lot harder.

15 minutes ago, drdread said:

Replacing the 3d models is much harder that replacing textures or sounds. Putting aside things like file format and model scale, here is a short list of problems I could foresee:

• each new model would need new textures ( you wouldn't be able to just import the old skins).
  • The anchors of the new models may cause problems for add-ons (costume pieces, weapons, capes)

Sounds and textures are some of the last touches, so they are easier to change. The 3d models are a baseline, and replacing them means potentially replacing a lot of things associated with them. It's not impossible, just a lot harder.

If you want an example of this done poorly, just take a look at the poor female worgen in World of Warcraft and watch them go through some of their animations.  And they've left them in this broken state (as far as I know) since they came out with the race, despite the community repeatedly saying how horrible the model is, even during beta testing.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

37 minutes ago, drdread said:

Yeah, I wondered all the same things.

I'm hoping to replace the halloween tarantula with a little robot arachnos spiderling, because <-- Arachnophobe. Or heck, even just anything, I just want it gone.

I think the model I want to replace shares animations with one I'd end up with. The tarantula isn't targetable, so anchors and hitboxes shouldn't matter. I'm fine if animations and textures look janky.