Ice/Cold newbie

Fermi

I've played CoH back in the day, mostly the solo campaign. Almost haven't touched the true game (online), but this is just a way to say how newbie I feel today.

So, yesterday I've created my first "real" char. And, as it seems, I've made a really poor choice: an Ice/Cold Controller.

To make things worse, I really like it -- but truth to be told, I haven't tried anything else.

I'm at level 11 now. Should I start over with a new char or should I keep going? What tips do you veterans have for me? Is it possible to respec and change that "/Cold" to something else?

Please, do not fall into the "meta" trap. What matters most here is that you are *enjoying* this character, and you are finding aspects of this character that you like. You can make anything work if you build it properly and design it to successfully do tasks. Truth be told, even if you end up disliking this combination, you have a thousand character slots to find a combination that you do like and enjoy. 🙂 Your first few characters shouldn't be about finding the perfect combination, they should be for feeling out things that you really love and want to focus on. 

Cheers on coming back! HC has added some major QoL features to the game. ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can have up to 1000 characters per server so no need to worry if one specifically doesnt work long term.

If you love Ice Control and want something better at soloing you could reroll to Ice Control Dominator. Then youd still get Cold Dominations Sleet power at level 35. Ice Control on Dominators is IMO still one of the lower performing Dominator sets, but it's still playable. Having an Assault set takes the bite out of Ice's poor damage.

On Doms Ice/Ice is a solid choice although to be honest I'm a bigger fan of Ice/Dark r Ice/Psi which help patch up some of Ice's survivability issues.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thanks 1

• Retired Lead Game Master

Ice/Cold is fine.

I'm a huge fan of Artic Air confuse. Just ignore accuracy, and go all confuse duration and endurance reduction. It does not use accuracy.

Cold support is also very strong in parties and end game, I wouldn't give up on this combo.

Also, it may help to slot a Lockdown proc in your Block of Ice. That can help you reliably freeze bosses first shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for future reference you can always check out the character statistics to find out how many level 50 characters have that class combo on the servers (it's in the general discussion forum). For Ice/Cold controllers there were 118 of them as of March of this year, with  a ranking of 23/135 possible combos. Now some of that is undoubtedly because it's a thematic combo, but still if the build was problematic the number would be lower for level 50 characters.

Edit: Although if you want to check out how electric affinity does the stats don't help you there, that secondary wasn't introduced until after the stats were release in March.

Edited by Gwyrddu