Targeting Issues

DocSharpe

I'm starting to have frequent targeting issues in the game.

I leverage Tab and Ctrl-Tab during battles, and the numbers along the top of the keyboard for powers.  (My numpad is configured for movement because that's how I have always done that) .   Recently, and frequently, I'm running into two issues;

Issue One: When I hit a number, it re-targets my focus to the team member in that slot.   Hitting the number with the Ctrl or Alt works normally.   

• Example: Hitting 1 targets the party leader
  • I have checked to make sure my Shift key isn't sticking (this has included repeatedly tapping...and smacking both Shift keys, and trying a new keyboard)

Issue Two: When I hit Tab or Ctrl-Tab, the targeting ignores the closest mobs and targets something 5 blocks away.   

• Example: the team is engaged with a group right in front of me.  Standard operating procedure is to drop a target, hit Tab to move to the next, keep firing powers.   However, even though there are dozens of foes in front of me, hitting Tab, Shift Tab or Ctrl Tab ignores the mobs in front of me and targets someone two full spawns away.

There's no pattern to when this happens, or anything that I can see that's common to when this occurs.   

Any thoughts?

• 4 months later

This sounds similar to an issue I've been having for a while. The numrow keys will randomly stop working; the quickest fix seems to be tabbing out and back in. Lately (maybe for the last 2-3 weeks?), my shift key seems to be stuck on, even though I have the sticky keys shortcut disabled. Hitting a numrow key will activate a power in my second tray.

This is in Win 10.

I saw another thread that suggested disabling notifications, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Did you ever figure out what was going on?

I use a Logitech controller.

I have at times experienced the Num Key issue. Found this while posting in the Auction House. Haven't run into this for a while.

Deleting Chrome cookies resolves it most of the time. Worst case situations, I have had to run my registry cleaner (which also clears all cookies in all browsers) and restart my computer.

People say that cookies in Chrome can't cause it, but it sure resolves the issue.

On and off, I get the issue where my "nearest target" button changes to "farthest target".

This only seems to happen when I'm running YouTube in Chrome while playing.

Sometimes I can just toggle out and refocus my controller. Other times, deleting Chrome cookies has to be done to resolve it. Worst case situations, I have had to run my registry cleaner (which also clears all cookies in all browsers) and restart my computer.

People say that cookies in Chrome can't cause it, but it sure resolves the issue.

I haven't seen these situations happen when I don't have Chrome open, but I have it open most of the time that I'm gaming ... and usually listening to something on YouTube through it (Chrome).

Recently, I have run into a couple of instances where it seems that my entire keyboard has been reconfigured and I have to restart to get the keyboard back to normal. That stopped with recent Windows 10 patch/update.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

54 minutes ago, Magairlín said:

I saw another thread that suggested disabling notifications, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

I have not.  What *seems* to work is clicking to another window (I run 3 displays on my PC, and usually have something up in the other).  It's possible that I'm getting a notification that somehow thinks Shift should be on.

11 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

/em raisehand

I'm one of the people. If it was IE or Edge or Safari, I might buy it, (all way too integrated into the OS) but Chrome is in its own sandbox. Unless your controller uses Chrome for its driver, I don't think that's it.

11 hours ago, DocSharpe said:

What *seems* to work is clicking to another window

I suspect that's why clearing chrome cookies seems to help.

Changing programs probably reloads the keyboard configuration.

Might be worth a try to change to Chrome and do something else, like create a new bookmark, and see if that helps as well as clearing cookies does. (Not that clearing Chrome cookies isn't good practice, just not what's fixing it, IMNSHO.)

Anyway, I don't have Chrome installed, and I've had tab-targeting failures that got my character defeated. Something is glitching.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:
13 hours ago, DocSharpe said:

What *seems* to work is clicking to another window

I suspect that's why clearing chrome cookies seems to help.

Sounds good, but I do the cookie clearing after I try toggling and out and attempting to refocus the controller by going to the profiler - swirling the sticks, clicking all the buttons - and then going back into the game and the issue remains.

Is everyone using Window 10 that is getting this issue?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

33 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sounds good, but I do the cookie clearing after I try toggling and out and attempting to refocus the controller by going to the profiler - swirling the sticks, clicking all the buttons - and then going back into the game and the issue remains.

Is everyone using Window 10 that is getting this issue?

I'll re-set up Linux and see if it persists.

PS: Have you checked to see if Windows features such as Sticky Keys are turned off? Those accessibility features can be a real pain in the ass if you don't want them, because Windows is so eager to "help."

Edited by DoctorDitko
sticky keys, argh!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)