Sewer maps lag my game so bad, what can I do?

jdbrown10

Hi yall,

This game runs decently well on my laptop, a little stuttering here and there but no major complaints, except for when I'm on a team and we go into a sewer map. I think it's the water that is giving my computer issues, because the only way I can play at all is to turn my camera up to the ceiling and target through one of my teammates. Otherwise, when I have water in my field of view, my frame rate drops to like 2 fps. I turned water effects down to zero, all of the ultra settings are turned off, and I'm generally running everything else extremely minimally, but it's as bad as ever. There was one time recently when I ran a DFB and I think my map glitched because no water appeared, and it's the best my game has ever run, period - so I really do think it's the water. Is there anything else I can do here?

Thanks for any help!

If you are using a Wireless Internet connection, get a patch cord and try using a wired connection off of your modem, router or switch, it almost always gives you a stronger connection and should improve game play measurably.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

43 minutes ago, Marine X said:

If you are using a Wireless Internet connection, get a patch cord and try using a wired connection off of your modem, router or switch, it almost always gives you a stronger connection and should improve game play measurably.

At worst, most modern ethernet ports are 100Mbit and low-latency.

With a wifi connection, no matter how much bandwidth it promises, it seldom hits that.  And of what you get, fully 1/4th is generally taken up by connection overhead.  Plus, depending on which frequency is being used, there are other devices making "noise" in this space.

Also, who made your laptop?

If it's a Dell, look in your Windows Services.msc.  Look for a SmartByte service.
SmartByte is supposed to be a bandwidth manager.
But it's SEVERELY broken.  It actually cripples your bandwidth and latency.
Disable the service, turn it off, and reboot.

Also, try just rebooting your router.
Left up long enough, these devices get mildly unstable over time.

See if any of those help.

But Marine X's advice is the more stable option in the long term.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!