Change all Group Flight Abilities to Grant Flight

Group flight abilities like "Group Fly" and Peacebringer's "Group Energy Flight" are very rarely used even when it could be really helpful. The radius of the abilities is pretty small, and Its difficult to communicate which direction you're going to be flying at quickly so often times you'll have teammates drop out of the sky. Even Mastermind's pets AI lags just enough when you use group flight they constantly fall out of range taking damage.

I also hesitate using Group flight because like Group teleport, it forces other players to move in a different way than they might want to. It can't be canceled while you are inside.

So my suggestion: Turn group flight into Grant flight!

Turn it into a one click 30s-2m long PbAOE grant flight ability where your teammates and pets can fly independently of you. That way you wont have to worry about your team mates lagging and then dropping into a mob. It also solves the forced movement problem because like any other buff it could be canceled.

Thank you.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MidnightClubPatron said:

Group flight abilities like "Group Fly" and Peacebringer's "Group Energy Flight" are very rarely used even when it could be really helpful. The radius of the abilities is pretty small, and Its difficult to communicate which direction you're going to be flying at quickly so often times you'll have teammates drop out of the sky. Even Mastermind's pets AI lags just enough when you use group flight they constantly fall out of range taking damage.

I also hesitate using Group flight because like Group teleport, it forces other players to move in a different way than they might want to. It can't be canceled while you are inside.

So my suggestion: Turn group flight into Grant flight!

Turn it into a one click 30s-2m long PbAOE grant flight ability where your teammates and pets can fly independently of you. That way you wont have to worry about your team mates lagging and then dropping into a mob. It also solves the forced movement problem because like any other buff it could be canceled.

Thank you.

I was thinking about this also earlier for some reason lol.

A PBAoE circle which grants fly would be better. At least players can choose whether they want to be in it or not. I would suggest at least 2 minutes.

It would also be cool if it put Rocket packs or floating discs etc under players feet and on their backs.

Edited by Gobbledegook

It's possible that it could also be made to work differently on NPCs/Pets and players, so on NPCs/Pets it applies a flight power to them for however long, but on players maybe it could give them a temporary popup tray with a granted flight toggle that expires after that same amount of time, thus making the granted flight truly optional and unobtrusive.

Alternatively, to avoid the hassle of a popup tray, it could instead give a yes/no window like Teleport and Mystic Fortune asking if you want the effect or not.

• Like 3

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

7 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Turn it into a one click 30s-2m long PbAOE grant flight ability where your teammates and pets can fly independently of you. That way you wont have to worry about your team mates lagging and then dropping into a mob.

And when you get into a fight while you and your pets are flying, and the Grant Flight expires, dropping your pets away. I wonder if this happened in the Shadow Shard away from a rock, if the 'port back to the start' would kick in before the 'respawn by the MM' kicked in, creating an eternally falling set of pets who don't stay close to you for long enough to reapply Grant Flight.

11 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

And when you get into a fight while you and your pets are flying, and the Grant Flight expires, dropping your pets away. I wonder if this happened in the Shadow Shard away from a rock, if the 'port back to the start' would kick in before the 'respawn by the MM' kicked in, creating an eternally falling set of pets who don't stay close to you for long enough to reapply Grant Flight.

Not sure why you are quoting me on that post but yea that could be a problem lol.

8 hours ago, Aberrant said:

It's possible that it could also be made to work differently on NPCs/Pets and players, so on NPCs/Pets it applies a flight power to them for however long, but on players maybe it could give them a temporary popup tray with a granted flight toggle that expires after that same amount of time, thus making the granted flight truly optional and unobtrusive.

Alternatively, to avoid the hassle of a popup tray, it could instead give a yes/no window like Teleport and Mystic Fortune asking if you want the effect or not.

I like both of these ideas!

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

It would probably revert to its default behavior which is I think respawning on the nearest ledge and staring at you longingly across the abyss. Or aggroing all the mobs just to get to you.

Side benefit: Can you imagine how much easier running hamidon would be with a Grant Flight for especially the melee classes that don't have a jetpack/flight?

Edited by MidnightClubPatron