Questions regarding /Rad

Parenthetical

I need the wisdom of the forumites for a question I have.

Often, when I look at radiation emission ( controller/defender) builds, I most often see just a couple of slots for powers like radiation infection, enervating field, and lingering radiation.  Is it not worth it to slot additional to hit debuffs, defense debuffs in radiation infection? Or perhaps, having additional slots when leveling up with SOs/IOs,  then moving them someplace else in a final build?

Thanks for the help!

Parenthetical

OK, for enervating field, just a couple end reduction IO's should do. For Lingering Radiation, I usally slot 1 x acc IO + 2 / 3 x Rchg IO's and for Radiation Infection, just two Enzyme Exposure HO's will do the trick at lvl 47 and while lvling, I just use a couple endrdx IO's. These powers are powerful enough to work with just a few slots so I'd use them somewhere else.

Edited by Nightmarer
  • Like 2

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

As @Nightmarer said, except that I can see Radiation Infection getting 4 slots for a Recharge bonus from 4 slots of Dark Watcher's Despair since at lower levels Recharge bonuses are nice and it's a cheap set. At 47+, respeccing into 2-3 Enzymes is a good option since you get better enhancement totals and don't need the 5% Recharge bonus as much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parenthetical said:

I need the wisdom of the forumites for a question I have.

Often, when I look at radiation emission ( controller/defender) builds, I most often see just a couple of slots for powers like radiation infection, enervating field, and lingering radiation.  Is it not worth it to slot additional to hit debuffs, defense debuffs in radiation infection? Or perhaps, having additional slots when leveling up with SOs/IOs,  then moving them someplace else in a final build?

Thanks for the help!

Parenthetical

It's a combination of things I'm thinking and basically what Nightmarer stated in his post.  In the case of Enervating Field it doesn't take any sets and only endred, range and recharge enhancements.  I've yet to see anyone worry about greater range while recharge would basically make a toggle come back quicker.  Endurance reduction is pretty much the only one of the 3 choices that makes much sense. 

Lingering Radiation is similar though it does take Slow sets.  But it's debuff is usually reserved for hard targets (AVs, EBs, GMs) and primarily for its massive regeneration debuff.  Basically it does what it needs to do out of the box and the user mostly wants to make sure it hits and recharges fast enough to be permanent on its target.  Makes it an easy place to use fewer slots so more slots are available elsewhere. 

Radiation Infection is probably the one that you see the most variation in.  That said unless the builder is chasing a very specific need Enzyme HOs are designer made for this power.  Enzymes simultaneously debuff defense, debuff to hit and provide end reduction in the power.  Maximum benefit with minimum slots, a builder's dream.

And yes especially Radiation Infection would need different slotting while leveling up, then respec to place in the endgame build.  Probably only Enervating Field isn't going to change.  Endred is the only thing that probably ever makes sense in EF.

24 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Lingering Radiation is similar though it does take Slow sets.  But it's debuff is usually reserved for hard targets (AVs, EBs, GMs) and primarily for its massive regeneration debuff.  Basically it does what it needs to do out of the box and the user mostly wants to make sure it hits and recharges fast enough to be permanent on its target.  Makes it an easy place to use fewer slots so more slots are available elsewhere. 

I do use End/Rech/Slow in it on some builds, but only if they don't have an AoE Immob. Which would usually mean Illusion/Rad or a Defender or Corruptor or MM. Slowing mobs from running out of rain patches or such is useful, but not if you have an AoE Immob. And sometimes End Red is useful on specific Rad builds, so the triple IOs can work well in the power. But it does usually take an extra slot compared to an Accuracy & Recharge slotting plan.