Critiquing my Earth/Dark Build

Magimaster

So, I was playing around with Dominators and ended up stumbling onto a Controller build that I like even better.  I'm leveling him now and he is up to 35, mostly grouping.  I enjoy the combo quite a bit and was hoping to see how my eventual slotting will work out.  I planned this out as best I could, given that there is very little info out there about this specific combo. 

The only hole I see is that I am vulnerable to CC, mainly Holds, but i couldn't find any way to really fix it, so I went with Acrobatics to hopefully at least blunt the pain if it happens.  Is there anything I have overlooked or maybe slotted too heavily versus better slotting somewhere else?

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Controller

Primary Power Set: Earth Control

Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Speed

Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Stone Prison -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)

Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), TchoftheN-Heal(43), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(50)

Level 2: Fossilize -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)

Level 4: Tar Patch -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(36), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(36), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(37), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(37), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(37)

Level 6: Stone Cages -- TraoftheH-Acc/Rchg(A), TraoftheH-EndRdx/Immob(46), TraoftheH-Acc/EndRdx(48), TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(48), TraoftheH-Acc/Immob/Rchg(50), TraoftheH-Dam%(50)

Level 8: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(40), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42)

Level 10: Quicksand -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(11), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(11), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(13), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(13), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(15)

Level 12: Howling Twilight -- RzzDzz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), RopADop-Acc/Stun/Rchg(42), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(42)

Level 14: Stalagmites -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(15), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(17), Stp-Stun/Rng(17), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(23), RechRdx-I(25)

Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 18: Earthquake -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(19), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(19), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(21), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(23)

Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 22: Combat Jumping -- Krm-ResKB(A)

Level 24: Super Jump -- UnbLea-Jump(A)

Level 26: Volcanic Gasses -- NrnSht-Acc/Hold/Rchg(A), EssofCrr-Acc/Hold/Rchg(27), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(27), Prl-Acc/Hold/Rchg(29), NrnSht-Dam%(29), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(31)

Level 28: Soul Absorption -- CldSns-Acc/Rchg(A), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(43), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(45)

Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), RechRdx-I(31)

Level 32: Animate Stone -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Acc(33), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(33), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SvrRgh-PetResDam(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)

Level 35: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 38: Dark Servant -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-Slow%(40)

Level 41: Dark Consumption -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45), RechRdx-I(45)

Level 44: Dark Embrace -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), ImpSki-Status(46), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)

Level 47: Soul Drain -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 49: Summon Seer -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Containment

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3), EffAdp-EndMod(3)

------------

I haven't played this combo together, but have played both power sets as a controller.

Notes:

- You've really under-slotted Fade. It gives really good defense and resistance and can be up every fight with proper slotting. If this was just a self-buff, it would be a great power, but it's a PBAoE team buff. This should be 4-slotted early and is a candidate for 6-slotting later.

- You've got two LoTG +Rchg enhancements slotted - these are unique - only one per character.

- Tar Patch is way over-slotted. A couple +recharge IOs is all you need there.

- I'd slot up Soul Absorption with a little more recharge - max it out. The more this is up, the better.

- Are you set on Soul Mastery as an Epic pool? The reason I ask is there are a lot of duplicated effects. Dark Consumption is a nice power, but Soul Absorption is way better, and is up more often. You really don't need both. You already will have two pets, is a third really necessary? There's nothing special about Dark Embrace, other epics have similar or better "defensive" powers. Soul Drain is the one power that stands out, but it's only up every couple/few fights.

- If you want to stay with your theme, consider Stone. Fissure is a nice little AoE that also disorients - this will stack nicely with Howling Twilight and Stalagmites, and since each of those wouldn't be up every fight, you can alternate those and throw in Fissure each battle. Seismic Smash is a nasty attack that also holds. Earth's Embrace gives you a bunch of hit points and increases survivability. Rock Armor can be thrown in if you want some more defense, but it's probably not required.

-

Earth Dark is good fun and a team friendly built. I enjoy mine so far (22 right now).

Like Rocketmandb I would suggest slotting Tar Patch for recharge only and put more Slots into Fade. You could also take a look at Psionic Mastery. Indomitable Will and Mind over Body are always great picks.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

Note:  LotG Global Recharges are *not* uniques, and Mids would tell you if you try to slot a unique you've already slotted.  Also they don't overlap with the regular 7.5% recharge bonus of other sets.  This means that you can have 5 of them in every build for +37.5% recharge if you have 5 different powers that take Defense sets.

As far as the build - I generally start with an idea of what I'm building towards, what set bonuses I want to see.  Usually on a controller that's to get as much global +recharge as I can so I can use my bigger controls more often.  After I squeeze out as much recharge as possible, I move on to things like Smashing/Lethal Defense that increase my survivability.

Right now, this build is all over the place, some sets are trying to get Ranged defense and others Recharge and I don't even know what else really.

Some thoughts:

- Mez resistance does not keep you from getting mezzed, that would be Status Protection.  Mez resistance lowers the amount of time you stay mezzed, but it's really not worth building for as 100% mez resistance doesn't even cut the time in half

- You're slotting a lot of different set triples to maximize Accuracy.  Don't.  Complete your sets and you will be raking in the incidental bonus accuracy globally instead of having to waste slots on each power.  If you're still feeling like you're missing too much, pick up tactics.

- You've got the Steadfast +3% Def IO but not the Gladiator's Armor one.  Get both.

- Acrobatics is not going to help you against holds, except maybe incidental low power ones.  People get it to counter Knockback, and that's probably not worth a power slot on a control build.  Mez them before they get the chance to do anything.

-Fade is a good bit of Defense and Resistance.  You want that up as much as possible.  Try to get the recharge closer to the 60 second duration