Fix for cutscenes on ultrawide monitors?

Captain Fabulous

Low priority for sure, but would it be possible to fix cutscenes on ultrawide monitors, i.e., remove the black bars on the top and bottom that a.) don't go all the way across the screen, and b.) chop off a significant amount of the image (it's already wide on an ultrawide and doesn't need the extra letterboxing) and makes a lot of the dialogue unreadable?

• Like 1

I have this issue on my 4k monitor, but my ideal solution would be to get rid of City's horrible cutscenes... even when I am in mild RP mode, I can't think of a one that actually added to the mission or gameplay... They're like watching a bad birthday puppet show.

So, very low priority, I'd say. Chernobog can just live with it.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Looks exactly the same at 4K. 🙂

Because it's split at the center of the screen, I can guess at some of the technical issues. But I'd hate to see dev time wasted fixing it.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, Shenanigunner said:

Looks exactly the same at 4K. 🙂

Because it's split at the center of the screen, I can guess at some of the technical issues. But I'd hate to see dev time wasted fixing it.

Honestly, I would have rather seen them fix this than some of the recent changes they have been focused on. There is a lot that could be done to enhance the game without playing with powers and 'balance' on a few things that really didn't need them in that mix.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Yeah, for you the bars need to be extended. But for me the bars need to be removed, because all I get is a very narrow viewport since my screen is already ultrawide.

Pff.  Just remove the damn bars.  Period.

Screw faux letterboxing.  It's rendering the whole damn scene anyhow.  I may as well see it.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

So... the black areas are ADDED bars? I assumed it was a failure to render at full width, caused by the dual-rendering aspect of extremely large screens.

Okay, that's just... explicable I am sure on some technical level but... dumm.

22 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

So... the black areas are ADDED bars? I assumed it was a failure to render at full width, caused by the dual-rendering aspect of extremely large screens.

Okay, that's just... explicable I am sure on some technical level but... dumm.

Yeah, I can't say why it was done that way, probably because it was quick and easy, but the black bars are added to cutscenes to give them a cinematic look. Also gotta remember that from 2004-2011 1080p was the super high-end, with most people still using 4:3 monitors.

Edited by Captain Fabulous