Reworking assault rifle powerset a little bit and a new powerset for controllers/dominators based on nauseating effects?

Krzbrg1

Just my two cents....

As the title says, I myself was always dissatisfied by the content of the assault rifle powerset. It was more of a "swiss army knife" powerset with all the flamethrowing, single shots and grenade then just that...an automatic firearm with it´s effects in comparison for example beam rifle. If I would have the power to change it, I would take out one of the flamethrower attacks and one single shot attack and put in bursts in growing number....like one burst single target, two bursts in narrow cone, three bursts in a wide cone and finally full auto. For a better assault rifle feeling...^^

Aaand secondary I always thought, that the game itself has already the animations, sounds and effects for a controller/dominator powerset based on nauseating attacks. Everything that makes targets choke, vomit and gasp. Stink bombs, mold sprays, digestion fluids, decay flavors.....stuff like that to give players the option to create disgusting characters. Maybe that sounds like a nice idea to the devs....

Have fun!

6 hours ago, Krzbrg1 said:

As the title says, I myself was always dissatisfied by the content of the assault rifle powerset. It was more of a "swiss army knife" powerset with all the flamethrowing, single shots and grenade then just that...an automatic firearm with it´s effects in comparison for example beam rifle. If I would have the power to change it, I would take out one of the flamethrower attacks and one single shot attack and put in bursts in growing number....like one burst single target, two bursts in narrow cone, three bursts in a wide cone and finally full auto. For a better assault rifle feeling...^^

Personally the swiss army knife style is what I like about AR as it is. There's something fun and fittingly comic-book-y about firing off a sniper rifle shot, a fully automatic burst, a grenade launcher, and flamethrower all from the same weapon as part of the same attack chain. If I want to play a character that uses a more conventional rifle, rolling an SoA and sticking to a Wolf Spider build can actually be a decent substitute for that. Though I also wouldn't be opposed to an alternate AR set focused mainly on feeling like an actual automatic weapon, either. Maybe just call it Burst Rifle instead? Build it around a combo mechanic of some kind, or maybe something similar to Titan Weapons' momentum mechanic? A playstyle meant to emulate just holding down the trigger and firing non-stop.

Edited by Arctique

If I was going to buff AR I'd seriously cut down on the cast time for Full Auto and Ignite, make Flamethrower deliver its damage faster, and add more than a token amount of damage to Beanbag.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

The thing about the assault rifle powerset is that...since the first days of the game I observed players trying to make the powerset a real "machined gun" thing by ignoring most of the single shots or even more completly ignoring the flamethrowers + slotting as much reload speed up as possible into fire burst and full auto. I am trying that at the moment too, which is the reason I wrote about it here. 

So yes, macskull showed another easy solution for this by making fire burst and full auto reload faster. Players will do everything else needed in the game itself then and the powerset in it´s composition can stay as it is.

Edited by Krzbrg1