Unable to use Gamepads even after the Enhanced Gamepad features patch

Oneirohero

I managed to bring back a friend who was into City of Heroes, but after I discovered the recent issue added enhanced gamepad features to the game. He says that he would actually play City of Heroes a lot more if he could just play it with a controller instead of keyboard/mouse (I prefer keyboard/mouse but that's not the issue here). We got into the game and tried to test out our gamepads but no matter what we tried, our characters wouldn't respond at all, not even so much as a bit or movement.

The game certainly detects our pads, my friend who has three connected to his PC said that the game was able to detect every single one. Even when we 'Apply'd the option none of the buttons or sticks would do anything, and holding down the triggers didn't even enable virtual mouse mode. So the game knows what controllers we're using but there's either something missing or we have to bind the buttons ourselves? There are no tutorials anywhere that we could find, and if there is I'd much rather someone 'uh, acksually' me a link to the guide so I can help my friend set up, I would like my friend to enjoy the game as much as possible with his preferred input type.

A quick summary: Me and Friend got into game, both tried switching to our detected gamepads, pressed 'Apply' just in case, tried all face buttons, tilted and clicks in sticks, tried all shoulder buttons and triggers; ultimately nothing happened. Tried to find a tutorial somewhere, found nothing, looked up problem threads, found one with up to two people confirming that virtual mouse mode doesn't work, sounds broken, made a thread about it in relation to me and my friend.

4 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

Is this one of the threads you looked at? It might have some of the info you are looking for.

According to this thread, the issue could be there are no default binds for gamepads, which would explain why nothing worked. If it's true then it's still possible my friend can use a gamepad, but we'll have to look it over and try setting up the controls properly. Thanks for the link all the same.

11 hours ago, Oneirohero said:

According to this thread, the issue could be there are no default binds for gamepads, which would explain why nothing worked. If it's true then it's still possible my friend can use a gamepad, but we'll have to look it over and try setting up the controls properly. Thanks for the link all the same.

My gamepad works after I change the keybind option to Joystick, but the virtual mouse mode does not work.

My opinion from both player and bind/macro developer experience is that there is no satisfying, seamless way to use controllers with CoH. Some WASD games are more adaptable to joysticks, but the need to be able to fire 5-10 powers fast and selectively means the limited controls of a controller will never be a good solution.

For what it's worth, though, I developed an extensive button-mapping tool that can be used to build a comprehensive bind set for any controller. It's on the website, although slightly out of date with the I27 changes.

Despite much time and effort, and love for controller games (although they didn't exist for the first half of my gaming career...), I never found any combination of binds that make my DS4 a really viable alternative to key-bashing. Maybe that's why I focus so much on streamlined binds and macros, to make the keyboarding as efficient and seamless as possible... 'cuz there ain't really no option.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com