Help! How to make a targeting keybind?

mrultimate

38 minutes ago, Zepp said:

To clarify, perception range is the distance that your character can see (-target stealth) . Rendering is a separate issue. You have to be in perception range however, the target does not need to be rendered.

Understood. But that perception range can be quite a ways. I was doing a nasty BP cemetery mission recently, and no matter where I was the Target Object more or less in the middle showed up on every targeting pass, even when way out of rendering/vision range.

Which is why the general targeting and name targeting tools are so wonderfully useful on those friggin' find-the-moron missions...聽 Ya want macros? Make name-search ones for Percy and Fusionette. 馃槃

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:聽 GABS Bindfile聽 路聽 WindowScaler聽 路聽 Teleport Guide聽 路聽 and City of Zeroes聽 all at聽 www.Shenanigunner.com

5 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

If you use more or less random keybinds, yes. If you use a consistent set, not so much. I have about six alts in regular rotation, each of different archetype, and by using consistent "type" assignments it never takes me more than a few minutes to remember the basic controls.

I do maintain a cheat sheet for all my alts, just to refresh my memory on the obscure stuff, but simple stuff such as:

• H for whatever the main self-heal is.
  • I for whichever invisibility you have.
  • U for defense/buff toggles. Keep tapping until they're all up.
  • P to fire the big gun - Zapp, Assassin Strike, etc.
  • CTRL+P to fire the big damage booster - Aim, Concentration, whatever. Ctrl-P to prep; P to fire.
  • Y to execute emergency move GettaHellOuttaHere (vertical TP, flight or jump).
  • J to activate jump power (often just Jump Pack, since travel jumps are bound to my mouse).
  • B for AoE powers: Ball Lightning, Boggle, Burn. (Just happens to be three B powers.)

...and so on. I'm not saying this is the wizard set of assignments, but it's easy to map powers generically so that you're using the same keys whether it's Healing Flames or Aid Self or whichever. The vast number will be per-alt and in your main power tray anyway.

And it's not an argument against macros if you prefer them. I just find a lot of the arguments against binds somewhere between thin and silly. (It reminds me of car guys I know, who will reach through the fan belt of a running engine to adjust something, but sweat bullets at the thought of rewiring a taillight.)

For certain values of "perception range." On maps like the cemetery or islands, popping to a high location will often target things many hundreds of feet away, invisible even with high visscale settings. Hostages etc. often just pop up as a tiny reticule.

馃檪聽 you use quite a few more binds than I do.聽 I have聽a fair number of keybinds that don't vary from character to character mostly remapped movement and very basic targeting.聽 The ones on Live with macros were聽probably a dozen or so out of over a hundred characters.聽 And to perhaps clarify all of those were targeting macros.聽 And my 'main of mains' was probably the only one with 'lots' (dozen or more), Quartz, sapper, etc..聽 And it was definitely a learning curve.聽 Keybinds I used towards endgame were more complex and more varied than the ones used in i7? or so and even those weren't as complex as some I see nowadays.聽 A lot of what I see listed above would have been neither macros or keybinds for me ... unless you count tapping the number keys for the tray to activate the power.聽 Instead of 'h' for healing stuff they'd all be in the same spot in the tray so I'd be tapping the number 3 rather than h.聽 That said I suspect using some of those binds (above) would be very useful on some of my characters.

2 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

馃檪聽 you use quite a few more binds than I do.

For me, it's a matter of putting "urgent" commands on consistent, accessible keys, while still using 1-0 for most attack and debuff powers.

It's a balance between default/tray keys, custom binds and macros, with the goal to make the (frankly clumsy) control system as easy and transparent as possible.

2 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

That said I suspect using some of those binds (above) would be very useful on some of my characters.

If you haven't looked through the GABB binds for ones to pilfer, you might find it useful, even if the complete remapping isn't to your taste. That and the custom binds in the Guide and on the site. Hey, a quarter second is a quarter second in battle. 馃檪

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:聽 GABS Bindfile聽 路聽 WindowScaler聽 路聽 Teleport Guide聽 路聽 and City of Zeroes聽 all at聽 www.Shenanigunner.com